+ Reply to Thread
Page 84 of 95 FirstFirst ... 34747576777879808182838485868788899091929394 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the last CD you bought?

Re: What's the last CD you bought?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate;2979715;
    Madonna - Hard Candy (its fantastic )

I''m going to have to get this, even though the family will laugh at me.

Just got Blackfield- Blackfield II. Love Steve Wilson!
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Premium Member

Just bought Ashee Simpson-Bittersweet World (love the song Boys), Hard Candy by Madonna, and Mariah Carey-E=Mc2 (still can't believe she got married to Nick Cannon).

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

"On My Way Here" - Clay Aiken

I "pre-purchased" the new Weezer album (the red album). I can't wait to get it, but I have to wait until late June!! I bought it up front because I adore Weezer and I wanted the single "Pork and Beans" (which should NOT be judged on the name alone ).

"Magic Recoveries" by Finnish band Disco Ensemble.

if anyone goes to Warped Tour this summer, you might have a change to see them live
    I'm a mess and you're worse
    Just give me time to give you a waste of time

Goodness I've been on a music buying binge lately so here goes:

Bo Bice - See the Light

Hated it the first time I listened to it because it was right after listening to Daughtry and all I could hear was Bo trying to do the same gravelly tone and just couldn't carry it off. But, I've since listened to it once more and it's not as bad as the first time around. I rather like Witness and it may just find its way onto my MP3 player someday but its not a CD I will listen to over and over like I do Daughtry (or anything by Santana oh yeah.....totally fits into this comment ha ha)

Ryan Adams - Cold Roses

I'm not decided on this one yet. It comes with two CD's so that a bit of a bonus but I have a very hard time understanding any of the dang lyrics. I hate it when singers mumble and he does that on quiet a few of the songs. Like the music so far so I plan on listening more, maybe some day I will understand what he is saying.

REM - Accelerate

Huh, what a HUGE disappointment this turned out to be. Read a bunch of reviews on it and then even listened to preview clips and thought I would love it. Not. Hated it. Again, I didn't understand over half the lyrics and the music wasn't engaging enough to make me want to listen to it again.

Death Cab For Cutie - Narrow Stairs

I love this band and don't think moving from an Indie label to Atlantic harmed them in anyway. Their music sounds a little different but in my opinion? Its better produced and how can you go wrong with that? No I don't love it as much as Plans but its a very good CD and one that I can listen from beginning to end over and over like I do Daughtrys...yes...I judge all music by that CD or anything by Santana If you like the original sound of Death Cab then this is the CD for you since it sees a return to what some consider their more original sound. Although I've loved their others just as much. Check out Grapevine Fires, very awesome song.

Five for Fighting - America Town

Bought this because I love my Smallville: Talon Mix and they are on it. I knew I would love Superman but I've also fallen in love with other songs on this very good CD. America Town, I love the lyrics and the tone and pretty much everything about this song.

Can't remember the others I've recently purchased but will give you all my review of them once I look through my CD's. Plan on buying cd's by IV Thieves, Truman, and Graham Colton next.

ClosetRTWatcher
    : I keep picking up Weezer! Which do you suggest I buy as my first CD of theirs?

Nickeback: All the right reasons - I love this cd. Love it, love it. Its the perfect gritty and rather nasty and dirty rock sound and lyrics that I love. My favorites are "Animals", the lyrics just crack me up probably not what they were going for but they do. My other favorite songs are "There goes the next contestant" and "Fight for all the wrong reasons". Heck, I pretty much like them all and have already listened to it all the way through over half a dozen times and I just bought it (bought the 2 cd version released in 2007).

Graham Colton: Here right now - I was rather surprised with this one because I didn't think I would like it as much as I did since I'm not usually a fan of the coffee-house getting over a broken heart vibe. Very nice cd but it is a little hard to get your hands on since he is a relatively new artist (I say relative because this is his second cd and he has been the opening act for a number of top groups including Kelly Clarkson with whom he was involved for awhile). Heard about him because he was the featured artist on one of the Wildfire episodes and I ended up going to 3 different places before I found the cd. Thought I was going to have to order it online. I really liked "telescope" and "cellophane girl." Cellophane girl has this amazing opening complete with acoustic guitar and strings.
    Last edited by Harmony2000; 05-25-2008 at 06:43 PM.

Premium Member

I was in Starbucks the other day and saw "Simon & Garfunkel - Live 69" so I picked it up. I have most all their music, but I love this one. It's 17 tracks of previously unreleased performances from one of their last concerts before they split. I have to turn it down between tracks because the applause is too loud, and it seems so strange hearing them say things like "this is a new song, it will be on our next album", and then they start singing something like "The Boxer" or "Song for the Asking", but I just love the fact that I can still be moved by the music I loved when I was 15.

Simon and Garfunkel are rad, Marley. I just dug out Bridge over Troubled Water the other day and was really digging it.

My latest purchases:

Anywhere I Lay My Head by Scarlett Johannson - A lot of people really hate this album, but I'm not sure they're "getting" it. No, she's not the best singer I've ever heard, but she's pretty expressive, and her low voice gives the Tom Waits covers a nice sultriness. I think what this album is supposed to be is an emulation of, say, This Mortal Coil, which was all about readings of cult pop tunes where the vocals took back seat to the atmospheric arrangements, and Scarlett's album does this really well. So, for that, I applaud her and commend her for not making a sellout actress-turned-singer record.

4 Way Street by Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young - This was one of those classic albums you just kind of need in your album collection. Great songs, a rather intimate feeling to the performance, and Neil Young is basically the coolest person alive. The CD is great because it includes songs that wouldn't fit on the original LP, including a medley of "The Loner, Cinnamon Girl, and Down by the River."

Different Class by Pulp - Get this--I've been looking for this album for a long time, and I found it in a bargain bin for $1.99. Wacky, huh? Well, this album is often considered to be the defining album of the "Britpop" era, and Jarvis Cocker has always had a knack for writing tunes that are impeccably hooky and bitingly witty and intelligent. "Disco 2000" is one of my favorite songs in recent memory.

Just Say Mao by various cool people - Back in the day, Sire Records put out a series of compilation discs--the "Just Say. . . ." series. I've been able to find a couple of them in used record stores and such. This particular one has tracks by Depeche Mode, Erasure, The Replacements, Lou Reed, Morrissey, Ice-T, and others. The back cover has a picture of a really hip Mao Zedong jiving it up in a leisure suit. I really hope it's real.

Also, I have ordered My People Were Fair and Had Sky in Their Hair, but Now They're Content to Wear Stars on Their Brows by Tyrannosaurus Rex, and it should arrive any day now. Before Marc Bolan got an electric guitar and invented glam rock with T. Rex, he performed these quirky, mystical acoustic songs while a percussionist named Steve Peregrin Took banged away on bongos in the background. Needless to say, I'm stoked.
    Last edited by Mantenna; 05-30-2008 at 01:21 AM.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna;3029774;
    Different Class by Pulp - Get this--I've been looking for this album for a long time, and I found it in a bargain bin for $1.99. Wacky, huh? Well, this album is often considered to be the defining album of the "Britpop" era, and Jarvis Cocker has always had a knack for writing tunes that are impeccably hooky and bitingly witty and intelligent. "Disco 2000" is one of my favorite songs in recent memory.
    Jarvis in the bargain bin? Say it aint so, especially "Different Class"! I'm so bummed I can't get to NYC to see his shows in July. Funny you should mention "Disco 2000". I always sing along and change the lyric "with wood chip on the wall" to "with blood stains on the wall" to infuriate my musicologist sister. (Too much CSI, I guess. ) BTW, check out "Britpop! Cool Britannia and the Spectacular Demise of English Rock" by John Harris if you haven't already. It's a great (if not always quick-moving) retrospective on the Britpop era.

+ Reply to Thread