+ Reply to Thread
Page 72 of 95 FirstFirst ... 22626364656667686970717273747576777879808182 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the last CD you bought?

Re: What's the last CD you bought?

Quote Originally Posted by MysticalChicken;2469829;
    Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood

I just discovered her. I also wanted Blacklisted but they didn't have it.

FINALLY a fellow Neko Case fan! I've been absolutely crazy about her ever since she opened for Nick Cave in (I think) 2003 - she has one of the most unique and intriguing voices of alt country today, in my humble opinion. You definitely need to get Blacklisted asap since one of her best tracks, "Look For Me (I'll Be Around)" is on it along with a stellar collection of songs. I always picture Neko performing them at the Roadhouse in Twin Peaks; there is something very David Lynch about her music, don't you think? I also strongly advise you to pick up Furnace Room Lullaby and, if you can find it, an EP called Canadian Amp. It was recorded in her kitchen and features some great covers by Neil Young, Hank Williams, and Tom Waits.

Oh, and you definitely shouldn't pass on an opportunity to see her live. I've had the pleasure of going to two Neko Case gigs, and they were both spectacular.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Wow. I've heard of Neko Case, but hadn't yet bothered to investigate her. However . . . references to David Lynch, Nick Cave, Neil Young and Hank Williams, all in one paragraph? Good Lord, I need to go to the record store NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna;2471259;
    Wow. I've heard of Neko Case, but hadn't yet bothered to investigate her. However . . . references to David Lynch, Nick Cave, Neil Young and Hank Williams, all in one paragraph? Good Lord, I need to go to the record store NOW!

Oh yes, you do. May I add another reason? Calexico. They've co-produced two of her albums along with Howe Gelb, adding a nice hint of desert sand to the David Lynch/alt country cocktail. Trust me, you'll like it. I take it you've already gone to the record store?

I did go to the record store, and I came back with:

Zeitgeist - The Smashing Pumpkins
    Blacklisted - Neko Case
    Murder Ballads - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
    Born Under a Bad Sign - Albert King

Thank you so much for the recommendation of Neko Case! I love her voice and the whole "mood" of the album. When it rolled around to the title track, my mom said, "That sounds like Twin Peaks!"

Despite all the bad press, I quite like the new Pumpkins album. For better or for worse, it was recorded with the same lineup as Siamese Dream (Jimmy Chamberlin on drums and Billy Corgan on everything else), and regardless, I'm just thrilled to have the two of them making music again. Standout tracks include the 10-minute fuzz-box orgy "United States," the Queen-esque "Pomp and Circumstances," and the single "Tarantula," which is just freaking awesome. Upon several listens, I think all of Zeitgeist is quite solid. The only disappointment came when I saw the "artwork" in the liner notes. Blech!

Murder Ballads, of course, is deliciously sinister. "Song of Joy" and "Lovely Creature" are excellent tracks, but I was a little disappointed by "O'Malley's Bar"--I like lyrics a lot better on the live radio version that's on "B-Sides and Rarities."

And, finally, Born Under a Bad Sign is simply a classic. Not to take anything away from Eric Clapton, but he definitely borrowed a LOT from this album.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna;2475022;

Thank you so much for the recommendation of Neko Case! I love her voice and the whole "mood" of the album. When it rolled around to the title track, my mom said, "That sounds like Twin Peaks!"
    Your mom is so cool! There is something very distinctly Twin Peaks-esque about Neko Case's music, isn't there? Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that she grew up in Tacoma, WA, which is about as close to IRL Twin Peaks you can get. I bet she's spent several nights in the dark woods...

Oh, and on another note: I thought you got Murder Ballads ages ago! Glad to hear you finally got around to it. It was the first Nick Cave album I bought, and it's one I keep returning to. Stand-out tracks for me include "Song of Joy", which just might be the creepiest song I've ever heard - I can't listen to it when I'm home alone! - as well as "Henry Lee", a gorgeous duet with Cave's then-lover PJ Harvey, "Lovely Creature", and "Death Is Not the End". All in all, a must-have album.

Greatest Hits by Fleetwood Mac. I picked this up at the GoodWill, so I wouldn't have to borrow my dad's copy lol. Just another sign of how he has influenced my music choices (which is why I also know so many Pink Floyd songs )
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar

The Greatest Hits is a pretty good collection of their music. My friend, Geneva, lent me it the first week we met last year in college. I listened to it for a long time while I was doing my theory homework. It's inspiration, definitely.

I think the last CD I bought was either Castaways and Cutouts by The Decemberists or Fixation Orale by Les Sans Culottes. Both are pretty awesome CDs, regardless.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

FORT Newbie

I didnt buy it, but Darkest Hour 'Deliver Us'. The CD was given to me by the Victory Record Label since my son is in the band. This is their 5th CD release. Check them out!

Quote Originally Posted by John;459536;
    Some of us actually BUY cd's. What's the last one (or 2 or 3) you bought? And how would you rank them, out of 0-5 stars?

Mine:

Rob Zombie: Past, Present & Future (**** but it's a "best of")

Linkin' Park: Meteora (****)

Godsmack: Faceless (****)

They're all very good...

FORT Newbie

Hmmm...CD CD CD CD....I think I will buy the August 16th edition of TV Guide to get the CD rom with related stuff from High School Musical 2. How about that?

Michael Buble: It's Time

I am really loving listening to his voice. It just glides right over me

+ Reply to Thread