+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 95 FirstFirst ... 15555657585960616263646566676869707172737475 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the last CD you bought?

I'll admit it. I bought Kellie Pickler's Small Town Girl. I wasn't impressed. I thought I would like it a whole lot more than I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    Yonder Mountain String Band.
    Heck yes! I love YMSB!

Let's see. The Christmas spoils:

Ummagumma
    by Pink Floyd - This is a great picture of Floyd when they were really starting to get momentum after the departure of Syd Barrett. One disc of the album is live recordings, and the second is filled with studio offerings from each band member. Plus, how can you say no to the song "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict"?

The Velvet Underground with Nico (self-titled) - Absolutely legendary. That sawing, grinding viola on "Venus in Furs" is still shocking.

Out to Lunch by Eric Dolphy - One of the pioneers of avant-garde and "free" jazz, Eric Dolphy was one of the few great jazz musicians to never abuse drugs, but he sill came up with some of the wildest music.

Love Supreme by John Coltrane - Yes, indeed.

They Can't All Be Zingers by Primus - I guess Primus is old news by now, but this collection is fantastic, and I hope their demented yet utterly hilarious and catchy singles never go too out of fashion.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna;2190287;
    Heck yes! I love YMSB!
    I had never heard of them before but I liked the name, and I love bluegrass so I took a chance, and I love them! I will be looking for their other albums now.

I think my favorite is called "Mountain Tracks: Volume Two" . . . whichever one has "Dawn's Early Light."

Interestingly, my good friend's (and the drummer in my band) sister is probably eventually going to marry the fiddle player of the group (I think).
    Last edited by Mantenna; 12-29-2006 at 11:48 PM.

Premium Member
    That's really cool, Manny. I got the newest CD, I think it's their 4th. I don't know how I've missed them all this time.

I recently brought Robbie Williams "Rudebox" cd! I love it!!!
    I pray when I'm coming down, you'll be asleep
    If I ever hurt you, your revenge will be so sweet

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna;2190287;
    Heck yes! I love YMSB!

Let's see. The Christmas spoils:

Ummagumma
    by Pink Floyd - This is a great picture of Floyd when they were really starting to get momentum after the departure of Syd Barrett. One disc of the album is live recordings, and the second is filled with studio offerings from each band member. Plus, how can you say no to the song "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict"?

The Velvet Underground with Nico (self-titled) - Absolutely legendary. That sawing, grinding viola on "Venus in Furs" is still shocking.
    Out to Lunch by Eric Dolphy - One of the pioneers of avant-garde and "free" jazz, Eric Dolphy was one of the few great jazz musicians to never abuse drugs, but he sill came up with some of the wildest music.

Love Supreme by John Coltrane - Yes, indeed.

They Can't All Be Zingers by Primus - I guess Primus is old news by now, but this collection is fantastic, and I hope their demented yet utterly hilarious and catchy singles never go too out of fashion.
    Here is an interesting story for you on Lou Reed & the Velvet Underground. A fellow in Montreal was doing the yardsale thing one morning when he stumbled across a 12” acetate with the label that said The Velvet Underground Side 1 4-25-66 Att. N. Dolph. Well the guy had no idea what it was but for the 25 cents sales price he figured he couldn’t go wrong, so he purchased it. He had a lousy turntable & didn’t want to play the album at the risk of destroying it, so he contacted a buddy of his & they decided to play it together on a good/safe turntable. It turns out that this was the only surviving copy of the Velvet Underground & Nico Scepter Studio recordings. It seems that Andy Warhol had offered a painting to Norman Dolph in exchange for “ghost producer” credit on the album. Dolph was into the art & music scene & had contracts in the music business. Warhol was backing the Velvets & trying to get them a contract. 6 of the songs on the acetate made it to the album, but in radically different form. This acetate includes the original versions of Heroin, Venus in Furs, I’m Waiting for the Man, & European Son. To make a long story short, this has become the most sought after, thought to be non existent, studio session ever. It had been lost for 37 years & sold on Ebay for $155,406. Not bad for a 25 cent investment. How it ended up in a box of old records in a Montreal yardsale is still the mystery they are trying to figure out.

Vanessa Hudgens from High School Musical. Just love her voice.
    You know how alcohol makes people let down their prohibitions Ms Rap Supreme on VH1

Chakos::Linkletter::Epley breezez_air's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by agamergirl;2190704;
    Vanessa Hudgens from High School Musical. Just love her voice.
    The world doesn't need another singer like her.
    I got The Kooks album the other day
    I don't wanna get fat like you
    Don't even believe in the F Word...FAT
    ...Perhaps you meant PEE AYTCH AY TEE
    Yeah...I did
    - Stacy Ann and Whitney- ANTM 10

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2190491;
    Not bad for a 25 cent investment. How it ended up in a box of old records in a Montreal yardsale is still the mystery they are trying to figure out.
    Whoa, razorbacker--that's a wild story! Thanks for sharing that. I wish I could stumble across something like that at a yard sale (instead of broken salt shakers and such).

+ Reply to Thread