+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 95 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the last CD you bought?

Guns 'n Roses, Greatest Hits. (Basically the only hard rock/heavy metal I can even tolerate.)

Hey, gabriel, wasn't Dark Shadows sort of a gothicy/vampire (?) television show? Sort of a cult hit? Or am I way off the mark here?
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Madonna - Confessions on a Dance Floor
    Adversity reveals genius. -Horace

After Midnight Kean College, 02/28/80 by the Jerry Garcia Band
    Some Grateful Dead songs, a Marvin Gaye song, a version of After Midnight which includes Eleanor Rigby, a Jimmy Cliff song - I just love the diversity. Since I bought it from his estate's website, it came with a bonus cd, which includes another Dylan song, another Beatle's song, an Elvis song and a song by Irving Berlin.
    Jerry's singing voice isn't the greatest, but it's not lifeless and bland either. The guitar work is amazing and the band sounds like it is having a good time.

Pray For the Soul of Betty - Explicit Version
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Fort Member
    on the weekend I brought First impressions of Earth by The Strokes and my husband brought The Best of Neil Young we are so not compatable

Marty Casey and the Lovehammers - self-titled
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

FORT Fogey
    Last album i purchased was the Michelle Williams Do You Know re-release, it had two new tracks on it Good To Be Here and Amazing Love, both fantastic.

You could have it so much better - Franz Ferdinand

I felt like treating myself to some outstanding tunes, so I bought no less than three CDs over the weekend: The Greatest by the glorious Cat Power, Ballad of the Broken Seas by Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan, and a compilation CD from an alt.country music mag called No Depression featuring country gods and goddesses from yesterday and today such as Johnny Cash, The Carter Family, Lucinda Williams, Neko Case, and Whiskeytown. All three CDs are excellent, right up my alley. If I had to pick a fave, though, it would have to be the Cat Power one. She recorded the album in Memphis with a string and horn section, and the overall Southern Soul groove combined with that beautifully raw longing feeling in her voice is very compelling. Her best album yet, and this is from someone who LOVED her Covers album. As for Isobel Campbell, as many of you may know she used to be a member of Belle & Sebastian and has in recent years released several albums with the band The Gentle Waves. The Ballad of the Broken Seas is a duet album in the same vein as Nancy Sinatra/Lee Hazelwood or Kylie Minogue/Nick Cave. Campbell's wispy, girly vocals blend very nicely indeed with Lanegan's deep growl of a voice. Good stuff. The alt.country compilation CD is amazing, of course, and as someone who's fairly familiar with the alt.country scene, I liked how most of the tracks included were of the rare kind. I feel like subscribing to the magazine - too bad you have to be an American or Canadian citizen to do that. Ah well, since I managed to get ahold of the CD, I'm hoping to be able to buy the magazine too.

ETA: Allmusic just informed me that the No Depression CD was released back in 2004. I guess Swedish record stores are a bit slow...
    Last edited by geek the girl; 02-01-2006 at 10:58 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

The Very Best Romantic Dinner Jazz cd. I hope it's good. Impulse buy at Chapters.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread