+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 95 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051525354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the last CD you bought?

Quote Originally Posted by JenTheSurvivah!
    "Get Behind Me Satan" by The White Stripes (Mantenna, I can see what you mean by the backwoods/country influences)
    Indeed! Do you like it or hate it, Jen? There doesn't seem to be much middle ground for that album.

I just got a whole slew of stuff:

Her Majesty by The Decemberists - Magnificent album. It jumps around a lot, stylistically, but it's chock-full of beautiful moments, be it a bouncy, Beatles-y piano; soaring string quartet, or the ever-present seafaring accordian. Love it!

Castaways and Cutouts by The Decemberists - Not quite as adventurous as Her Majesty and more rooted in folksy numbers, but it's wonderful, as well. The final track is worth the price of the CD.

Feb. 4th - 14th 1998 by Long Hind Legs - I got this one free with my Decemberists albums because I ordered directly from the label. It's not horrible, but it's pretty unextraordinary synth-pop done by two guys who definitely can't sing in falsetto.

Won't You Dance With this Man? by Slim Moon - This one was also free from the label (Kill Rock Stars). Um, it's a spoken word CD. Haven't really had time to digest it yet. . . .

Push Barman to Open Old Wounds by Belle & Sebastian - This is a two-disc compilation of all the EPs that Belle & Sebastian released from 1997 to 2001. It's fantastic.

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna
    Feb. 4th - 14th 1998 by Long Hind Legs - I got this one free with my Decemberists albums because I ordered directly from the label. It's not horrible, but it's pretty unextraordinary synth-pop done by two guys who definitely can't sing in falsetto.
    Are LHL still with Kill Rock Stars (Sleater Kinney's prior home)??? If the Decemberists are there, I seriously have to check this band out!

Yep, OMLB, LHL and The Decemberists are all with Kill Rock Stars. I think Slim Moon owns the label, does he not? Yes, you definitely need to check the Decemberists out! (Your slacker friend will get his act together and get your parcel in the mail soon, too!)

Perhaps I'm being too hard on poor LHL. It really wasn't bad at all until one song, where said falsetto entered the scene.

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    I have an admission: the only reason LHL rang a bell with me is because I emailed Kill Rock Stars once to see if they would send me some Sleater Kinney posters. I got an email back from Tobi Vail (yes, that Tobi Vail, of Kurt Cobain's ex fame ) who said no, but they would send me some other stuff.

One of those things was a LHL poster, which, because it may have come from Tobi Vail herself, I'm sorry to say I hung up...but have not ever listened to them that I can remember.

Anyway...to stay on topic, I bought Peter Murphy's Unshattered last night.

And yes, Manny, I hope that slacker gets his act together, I want to hear some good music darnit!

CeCe Winans: Throne Room

[QUOTE=Mantenna]Indeed! Do you like it or hate it, Jen? There doesn't seem to be much middle ground for that album.

Well, consider me middle ground. It's certainley a different album, some songs I like, some are okay, some have suprising results (Meg White singing on one track?! :o ) and I must say "Little Ghost" can get stuck in your head.
    If you really did love music, you wouldn't limit yourself to just one genre.

Phantom of the Opera OST Special Edition

I'm a dork.

Quote Originally Posted by random_thotz
    Phantom of the Opera OST Special Edition

I'm a dork.
    I just got that too! Have yet to listen to it, though.
    Gustav Holst was right!

Spamalot - the Cast Recording
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by haejin
    I just got that too! Have yet to listen to it, though.
    It's awesome, but still not as great as the original cast recordings for the musical. Oh well.

+ Reply to Thread