+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: American Music Awards - You can vote for Fans' Choice

I voted for Cher for International Artist Of The Year. I like Shania, and she'd have been my second favorite, but Cher's got a longer track record. I'm not a great fan of Madonna's music or Justin T's. I love Christina's voice and some of her songs (like the new one "The Voice Within") but there's a lot of her stuff that leaves me cold.

I wouldn't be surprised if Justin takes the award, though, because he's the only guy nominated. The votes from people who like female singers may be spread over the four females.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. §;-D

Quote Originally Posted by 4#24Jeff
    Question...... Does anyone know when the "Time" issue hits the stands? That is a "Must Have!!!"
    I think it was on the racks two weeks ago. Very interesting article about what is going on in mainstream radio and the popular music industry. It will be interesting to see the results of the AMA Awards voting in that light. I would still like to know more about how they decide the winners in the categories that we do not get to vote on. Like how do they choose the group of people that they poll for those awards.

I thought it was interesting that there is only one male nominated for the MJ International Artist award.

RS cover, July 10, 2003 MelanieLaMew's Avatar
    The nominees for American Music Awards have been announced.
    One only category where we, the fans, can vote is this:
    Fans' Choice Award
    50 Cent
    Beyoncé
    Clay Aiken
    Matchbox Twenty
    Tim McGraw
    Justin Timberlake
    http://abc.go.com/primetime/ama/fanschoice.html

I have no idea how the voting is going for this one, since it's a kind of apples and oranges thing. But I just saw Clive Davis award Clay Aiken an RIAA double platinum plaque for having 2 million of his albums shipped the first week, so I'd say that's encouraging. Mainly I hope 50 Cent doesn't win it, not just because I'm not a huge rap fan, but also because of the kind of lyric themes in his "songs." I actually like all the other nominees.

Something interesting I noticed about some of the other categories, the ones where we don't get to vote.

All the nominees for Favorite Artist — Adult Contemporary Music are female:
    Cher - Celine Dion - Norah Jones

Aren't there any guys who are really popular who are considered "adult contemporary?"

All the nominees for Favorite Artist — Latin Music are male:
    Kumbia Kings - Ricky Martin - Luis Miguel

I thought it was curious that Gloria Estefan wasn't nominated.

And all the nominees for Michael Jackson International Artist of the Year except one are female:
    Cher - Madonna - Shania Twain - Christina Aguilera - Justin Timberlake

Actually I didn't realize Justin was that popular outside the US, but aren't there other N. American men who also have a lot of fans outside the US?
    "You can observe a lot, just by watching."
    "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
    Yogi Berra

Just a reminder that voting in the two "poll" categories is open up to the time of the show on Nov. 16. (One vote allowed per user.)

caught by the window MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    In a van down by the river!!!... watching the Canucks on my 3" TV
    ugh... what a joke

Hip Hop has like a kazillion categories while "alternative music" what the hell kind of a category is that anyway?

any award show that has Metallica and Coldplay in the same category is a joke... I love Coldplay too, but they play such different styles it's not even funny

this whole damn awards show a freakin' farce

and how does Evanescence qualify to be in those other categories but Linkin Park doesn't.. they're basically the same style of music

it's reasons like this that I boycott most of these stupid biased "award shows".. it's no wonder people always say stuff like "50 Cent CLEANED UP THIS YEAR"... why? because nobody else has a fair chance!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets
    ugh... what a joke

Hip Hop has like a kazillion categories while "alternative music" what the hell kind of a category is that anyway?

any award show that has Metallica and Coldplay in the same category is a joke... I love Coldplay too, but they play such different styles it's not even funny

this whole damn awards show a freakin' farce

and how does Evanescence qualify to be in those other categories but Linkin Park doesn't.. they're basically the same style of music

it's reasons like this that I boycott most of these stupid biased "award shows".. it's no wonder people always say stuff like "50 Cent CLEANED UP THIS YEAR"... why? because nobody else has a fair chance!

I tend to agree. I mean, why are "pop" and "rock" vocalists competing against each other in the same category but separate from "rhythm & blues?"
    But "rhythm & blues" is grouped with "hip hop." So Luther Vandross is competing with R. Kelly but not with John Mayer?

I think the voting system is kind of suspect, too. The only reason I even know about the awards is that Clay has many internet fans, who readily disseminate info like this. Maybe Matchbox 20 and Justin T and 50 Cent do, too, but what about all the music fans who don't spend much time online surfing music sites?
    I haven't heard a word about the awards yet on TV or radio, much less info on how to vote. And why can't people without internet access vote by phone or mail? (I'm referring here to the Fan's Favorite category. Other Awards are decided by ABC/AMA polling a supposedly representative sample of music fans. But unless the "research" is supervised by an independent agency, it would be easy to bias the reseach to favor whomever you wanted.)

Anyway, I think it's good that the info is posted here, if you give a hoot who wins. At least it's not just the fan clubs who will have the voting info.
    Last edited by Grisabella; 11-08-2003 at 09:32 PM.

Linkin Park BETTER win. I agree with MoP on the Evanescence topic.

RS cover, July 10, 2003 MelanieLaMew's Avatar

Voting continues till Fan Favorite announced - tonight!

I just found out that people can continue voting DURING the live broadcast of the AMA Awards show tonight, for any category where fan voting is allowed.
    This includes Fan's Favorite (Beyonce, 50 Cent, Clay Aiken, Tim McGraw, Justin Timberlake, and Matchbox 20),
    MJ International Artist Of the Year (Cher, Madonna, Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake, Shania Twain), and a few new categories like Favorite Jazz Artist.

Voting is ENCOURAGED right up to the time these award winners are announced -- probably within the last half hour of the show.

The AMA Awards broadcast live from the LA area from 5:00P to 8:00 PM Pacific Standard Time (8 to 11P Eastern Standard Time and 7 to 10 PM Central Standard Time).

The show will be tape delayed on the West coast (and I assume in the Mountain Time zone too).

BTW, there is a RED CARPET show on ABC an hour before the awards show airs.
    "You can observe a lot, just by watching."
    "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
    Yogi Berra

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Congratulations to Clay for winning the Fan Choice Award. OMC is on his way to becoming a huge star

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie
    Congratulations to Clay for winning the Fan Choice Award. OMC is on his way to becoming a huge star

I don't want to go too heavy into this so all I'll say is "POOR TIM!!!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast