+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Tori Amos

Quote Originally Posted by BlondieGirl
    Charliebug! How is everything going?

Just wanted to ask, what Tori CD does this new one remind you of? What style? Or is it different from the others? Just curious!
    Hi Blondie! Hope you had a good trip!

About Tori's newest CD........ wow, that's difficult to say. I think it's a mixture of her other CDs - it's a pretty good combination of them all, utilizing even similar lyrics. She's toned down a bit from her earlier CDs as far as no swearing and such. Perhaps motherhood comes into play there? Who knows. But I will say that I love this CD. The first time I listened to it, only a couple of songs 'jumped out' at me. Now I enjoy almost every single one of them, each in a different way. It's a long CD - 19 songs! The special edition CD includes a bonus DVD which has an additional song on it. I loved hearing Tori's thoughts on that DVD - she brought me to tears when she was talking about her mother and daughter.

Admittedly, some of the songs have a more "contemporary" flavor, but I still like them. I have found that since I am getting older, I don't mind contemporary music as much anymore. It's an excellent CD and definitely worthy of a purchase!

here's the link for the sleeps with butterflies video at yahoo. very nicely done!

did anyone else get tix for any of the shows? thoughts on the book? the cd? ribbons undone still gets me every time i hear it - even more now after watching the dvd and hearing her talk about her mom and tash. i haven't gotten very far in the book yet - i'm finding it a little confusing, although very interesting. sometimes, i just have no clue as to what the woman's talking about...perhaps one of the reasons i love her so very much.
    "I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best .. "

I'm going to se eher when she comes here for sure..I think this will be the 8th time I've seen her live and I have never been disappointed!

Can't take a good day without a bad one
    Don't feel just to smile until I had one
    Where did I learn?
    I make a fuss about a little thing
    The rhyme is losing to the riddling

Thanks pryncess for the link! I really enjoyed the video. Love the song. What is wrong with me? I NEED to buy the CD!

CharlieBug! I am fine! My trip was good but not restful! How is your remodeling going?

Thanks for your critique!
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBug
    About Tori's newest CD........ wow, that's difficult to say. I think it's a mixture of her other CDs - it's a pretty good combination of them all, utilizing even similar lyrics. She's toned down a bit from her earlier CDs as far as no swearing and such. Perhaps motherhood comes into play there? Who knows. But I will say that I love this CD. The first time I listened to it, only a couple of songs 'jumped out' at me. Now I enjoy almost every single one of them, each in a different way. It's a long CD - 19 songs! The special edition CD includes a bonus DVD which has an additional song on it. I loved hearing Tori's thoughts on that DVD - she brought me to tears when she was talking about her mother and daughter.

Admittedly, some of the songs have a more "contemporary" flavor, but I still like them. I have found that since I am getting older, I don't mind contemporary music as much anymore. It's an excellent CD and definitely worthy of a purchase!
    I am completely in accordance with your opinion of the new CD, Charliebug, like how only a few songs jumped out at me at first (for me, it was 1-Parasol, 10-Cars & Guitars, 15-Martha's Foolish Ginger, 19-Toast). ETA: How could I forget the excellent "Barons of Suburbia."

I also agree about the "contemporary" tone--I guess my favorite Tori albums are either a very emotionally raw (Earthquakes, Pink) or gritty (Pele, Scarlet's Walk), and this one is extremely mellow.

I'm just a little surprised I'm not immediately in love with it, but I guess with repeated listenings it will grow on me. I guess this album is a "grower"--which fits with the garden theme anyway!

Speaking of, anyone else planning on planting their seeds from the deluxe edition, or are you guys going to keep them for your Tori collection? I'm torn! I actually do want to plant them, but I have a black thumb and am worried it will be a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by broken_pryncess
    i haven't gotten very far in the book yet - i'm finding it a little confusing, although very interesting. sometimes, i just have no clue as to what the woman's talking about...perhaps one of the reasons i love her so very much.
    OMG I know exactly what you mean! The book is kinda of a mind boggler. I think my problem was trying to read it without listening to at least some of Beekeeper, because it seems like a good companion to the songs. Also, I don't like the sections that are heavily Ann Powers-dominant. It's so Women's Studies 101. I prefer the sections that are Tori talking, because that's the loopy banter I'm used to and adore. I'm finding the interjections by Ann and some of the interviews from other folks in the Tori-universe to be intrusive and a little annoying, actually. Not sure how I dig the format of the book.

Thanks also for the link to "Sleeps with Butterflies"--I'd better go check it out!
    Last edited by SnowflakeGirl; 03-07-2005 at 05:15 PM.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Ah, a "grower" CD - nice tie in with the CD's theme, Snowy!

I think I'm going to plant my seeds. I'm not exactly a green thumb either, but we just moved and the yard/landscaping at this house is pathetic! (We couldn't tell until now that all the snow has melted). The yard needs all the help it can get, and Tori's seeds might just do the trick. Well, make at least one small patch of the yard look halfway decent, anyway.

About the book - my gosh, it took me forever just to get through the introduction! I'm finally in the first chapter where she's talking about her Poppa and his stories. I, too, like Tori's story better than everyone else's interjections. But it is a confusing read, nonetheless.

Oh, and BP - yes, Ribbons Undone really does tug at the heartstrings. I nearly cry every time I hear it.

i'm got the same thing here, charliebug - we just bought this house in october, and the landscaping and yard is horrid. we're going to side it and redo everything in the spring. and, yes...i'm going to break down and plant the seeds. but, i'm going to keep the package that they're in.

i'm so afraid that she's going to play ribbons undone on her solo tour - i can barely make it through hearing it on the cd. hearing it live just may be enough to throw me right over the edge. lol
    "I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best .. "

So, I finally bought Sleeps with Butterflies the other day. I have to say, I love it. Love. I bought it expecting the worst (ie, To Venus and Back) and I was really surprised at how good it is.

I agree with Snowy saying it's very mellow - but I don't agree that it's the album's flaw. I also don't agree that it has a contemporary vibe - this one seems much more back to her roots. The Bose is very prominent on it, and my biggest problem with Scarlet's was how keyboardy it was. This has a sweet piano mood happening, but it still has a bit of a Tori bite to it.

In conclusion, it is very good.

Ducky, I didn't mean to imply The Beekeeper's mellowness was a flaw, necessarily; it's just harder for me personally to immediately get into, and as I predicted, in the past month or so since I've had it, enough time has passed for it to seep into my system, and it's finally grown on me.

I find myself singing its songs at random moments in the day, and maybe I'll pick up Piece By Piece to see if there's a blurb on it. Also, it's awesome baking music. Lots of cakes, muffins, and breads have now been enriched by the power of Tori!

Oddly, when you say she gets back to her roots with this, the album it reminds me most of is...Y Kant Tori Read!!! Before you fling tomatoes at me, I never thought this album was as bad as she or anyone else seemed to think. I quite liked it actually. Plus, you know on the cover she looks like some Renn Faire fugitive.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Ducky, I didn't mean to imply The Beekeeper's mellowness was a flaw, necessarily; it's just harder for me personally to immediately get into, and as I predicted, in the past month or so since I've had it, enough time has passed for it to seep into my system, and it's finally grown on me.

I find myself singing its songs at random moments in the day, and maybe I'll pick up Piece By Piece to see if there's a blurb on it. Also, it's awesome baking music. Lots of cakes, muffins, and breads have now been enriched by the power of Tori!

Oddly, when you say she gets back to her roots with this, the album it reminds me most of is...Y Kant Tori Read!!! Before you fling tomatoes at me, I never thought this album was as bad as she or anyone else seemed to think. I quite liked it actually. Plus, you know on the cover she looks like some Renn Faire fugitive.
    you know, it does kind of remind me of y kant tori read as well. i thought maybe it was just me. i've always loved yktr.

god, i am so excited for the show on the 14th - i can hardly wait!

kym

+ Reply to Thread