+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Tori Amos

Tori Amos To Play Mary Poppins

Tue Apr 1, 12:00 AM UTC/GMT

HONG KONG (AP) Sony Pictures announces today that songstress Tori Amos has been cast as the lead in their modern adaptation of the 1964 Walt Disney production, Mary Poppins. Amos will play the magical, musical nanny who brings a breath of fresh air into the stuffy Banks household in turn-of-the-century England.

In the wake of her latest album, "Scarlet's Walk," a sonic novel of sorts which takes the listener on an aural journey of America's recent and not-so-recent past, the faerie-goddess singer/songwriter has been dropping hints in recent interviews that her next project will be a musical inspired by her daughter's love of Mary Poppins. In this case, literally. "I adore musicals. When I was in my twenties I never dreamt that I would still be watching Mary Poppins at 39, because you think that you have to reject childish things in order to find who you really are. But then I grew up, and discovered that it is okay - song and dance routines really do work!," says Amos.

Overstuffed with gaiety, this children's fantasy is filled to the brim with wonderful dance numbers and outrageous songs (such as the seemingly unpronounceable "Supercalifragilisticexpialidoc ious"). Amos admits, "Tim Rice (EVITA) said something to me and got me thinking... I have been enjoying the soundtrack. A Spoonful of Sugar is amazing. It says something very profound about the power of the song that it meant something to me as a child in 1965 and still means a lot to me today." The songs will be entirely co-written and produced by Tori Amos and Tim Rice, scheduled for recording at Martian Studios in Cornwall, England.

On tap to pen the screenplay is Moulin Rouge's wunderkind Baz Luhrmann. Luc Besson (THE FIFTH ELEMENT; THE MESSENGER), reknown for his jaw dropping visuals, is slated to direct. The film will also feature Emma Watson (HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS) and Daryl Sabara (SPY KIDS) as Jane and Michael Banks. The most oft named actor in the early running for the male lead is Ewan McGregor (MOULIN ROUGE), with Rupert Everett (MY BEST FRIEND'S WEDDING) close behind. A dark horse, Kenneth Branagh (HAMLET) closes up the shortlist as the unlikely but dashing male-lead, Bert. Filming has not yet been scheduled.

The movie industry has been eager for Amos to grace the screens: Amos makes a cameo appearance as a wedding singer in the soon-to-be-released Mona Lisa Smile (2003), a story of a free-spirited Berkeley graduate in 1953 who takes a position as a teacher at the women's college. Amos is currently embarking on a headlining tour of the United States this spring and summer.

that's not nice, ducky... you had me all excited... :o(
    "I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best .. "

Sorry. I was excited too.

hmm... i go away for a little while and no one has anything to put in the tori thread??? i'm disappointed. anyway, i am going to see tori on aug. 15 in detroit (crappy lawn seats!) and aug 16 in cleveland (2nd row - there is no pit). i am so excited!! i just hope she does m&g's before the shows. have you seen the taxi ride taxivision winner, ducky?
    "I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best .. "

Take care in Detroit, AKA murder city. Yikes.

I haven't seen the taxi ride taxivision winner. Is this something I should search for??

I'm glad I found this thread...I've been a massive Tori fan since the UTP days...she was my obsession for quite awhile there...and no other artist can come close to the the triple threat that is BOYS FOR PELE, FROM THE CHOIRGIRL HOTEL, and TO VENUS AND BACK!!! (my very favorite Tori album!!!...unfortunately it has been maligned by many a die-hard fan)...

I'm not as wild and crazy about SLG and SCARLET'S WALK (save a few classic tracks on each)...I've lost interest in both of those discs rather quickly...but as always...I can't wait til she releases her next album!!!

Maybe someone else has already brought this up, but this thread is too long for me to search...does anyone else here post on atforumz.com???...my screename is the same there as it is here...

You know, I really don't like TVAB, but I'm warming up to it. I'd rather listen to the live disc.

I'm also not really crazy about SLG, it has some GREAT tracks on it though, but also a lot of dull ones.

Pele kicks butt, though, I love it.

Huzzah!! Another tori thread!

Hey everyone!
    I just stumbled upon this site somehow, and noticed there was a tori thread.
    I've read through most of the pages and you guys seem like you're a lot of fun -- big tori fans as well -- which is a definite bonus!

Broken_Pryncess -- I was in your same row (2nd row) at the Cleveland concert. How crazy. I took a newbie friend, and he didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I had hoped for. BUT.. I thought the concert was absolutely incredible! Her little improv about the lights and the hotel. Wow.. what a night!

Some of my favorite songs from that night were A Case of You, Silent All These Years, Precious Things and Professional Widow (you were in the same row as me -- did you see how much she was spitting when she sang that! gotta love close seats!! )

I'm so excited about this site! I post in atforumz.com some, but not as much as I'd like to. It's so crazy over there. Great way to get new info though.

I have a huge collection of tori bootlegs if anyone's interested. I'd be happy to share! I just started collecting sometime last year and its quickly becoming my new obsession.
    PS.. B_P -- the Cleveland show should be circulating soon here -- I can't wait to get my hands on that show. I'll definitely send one your way if I can, it's fun having a copy of a show you were actually at.

Ok -- just wanted to say hello to everyone! I love meeting new EWF!
    ~Beth

Quote Originally Posted by duckgirl
    Take care in Detroit, AKA murder city. Yikes.

I haven't seen the taxi ride taxivision winner. Is this something I should search for??

hey! i grew up in detroit! we didn't get to that one anyway. we did manage to get to the cleveland show, though. which was incredible. i was also really impressed with ben folds.

Quote Originally Posted by beulahswirl
    Hey everyone!
    I just stumbled upon this site somehow, and noticed there was a tori thread.
    I've read through most of the pages and you guys seem like you're a lot of fun -- big tori fans as well -- which is a definite bonus!

Broken_Pryncess -- I was in your same row (2nd row) at the Cleveland concert. How crazy. I took a newbie friend, and he didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I had hoped for. BUT.. I thought the concert was absolutely incredible! Her little improv about the lights and the hotel. Wow.. what a night!

Some of my favorite songs from that night were A Case of You, Silent All These Years, Precious Things and Professional Widow (you were in the same row as me -- did you see how much she was spitting when she sang that! gotta love close seats!! )

I'm so excited about this site! I post in atforumz.com some, but not as much as I'd like to. It's so crazy over there. Great way to get new info though.

I have a huge collection of tori bootlegs if anyone's interested. I'd be happy to share! I just started collecting sometime last year and its quickly becoming my new obsession.
    PS.. B_P -- the Cleveland show should be circulating soon here -- I can't wait to get my hands on that show. I'll definitely send one your way if I can, it's fun having a copy of a show you were actually at.

Ok -- just wanted to say hello to everyone! I love meeting new EWF!
    ~Beth
    wow - you were there? wasn't it absolutely amazing??? the stage setup was perfect and with no pit section!! yeah, the steven tyler/gene simmons improv was so funny!! i was really impressed with ben folds, too. i'd never really paid any attention to ben folds five, but i've started listening to more of his stuff lately, too. she's really toured with some awesome people - i became a howie fanatic after last years scarlet tour. i would love to have a copy of the show in cleveland. although, all these time i've seen her play, i've never gotten to hear the songs that i really want to hear live - tear, cruel, gun. overall, though i enjoyed this show more than the others i've been to.

+ Reply to Thread