+ Reply to Thread

Thread: KROQ's Inland Invasion III (So. Cal)

KROQ's Inland Invasion III (So. Cal)

http://www.kroq.com/kroqnow/kroqnow.html

Now I know the majority of you don't live in Southern CA, but this concert looks so good I'm seriously thinking of going on Sept 20th!

Here are the bands performing!

The Cure (Excellent band)
    Duran Duran (Another great band)
    Hot Hot Heat (Hot right now)
    Dashboard Confessional (Haven't heard enough)
    Interpol (Has an Echo & the Bunnymen sound)
    Echo & the Bunnymen (Very good band)
    Violent Femmes (Most overated band of the 80's)
    Psychedelic Furs (Love My Way, one of my favorite songs)
    Fountains of Wayne (Haven't heard enough)
    Bow Bow Wow (Annabella, wow!)
    General Public (Another great 80's band)
    Soft Cell (Marc Almond) (Tainted Love, come on!)
    Berlin (She takes my breath away)
    Dramarama (Anything, Anything - most overplayed song on KROQ)

Just in case some of you are interested, tickets go on sale this Saturday 08/23 at 10 am.

Chris

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ic_invasion_dc

Cure, Duran Duran, Violent Femmes to Invade L.A.
    1 hour, 50 minutes ago

By Troy Carpenter

NEW YORK (Billboard) - The Cure, Duran Duran, Violent Femmes, Echo & the Bunnymen and the Psychedelic Furs will headline the third annual Inland Invasion concert set for Sept. 20 east of Los Angeles.

While last year's concert was defiantly punk-themed, with bands like the Sex Pistols, the Buzzcocks, X and the Circle Jerks on the bill, this year's event will be a largely '80s affair, spiced with a smattering of current acts.

Also on tap for Inland Invasion III, which will take place at the Glen Helen Hyundai Pavilion in Devore, Calif., are Hot Hot Heat, Dashboard Confessional, Bow Wow Wow, Interpol, General Public, Fountains Of Wayne, Soft Cell, Berlin and Dramarama.

Tickets go on sale Saturday (Aug. 23) at 10 a.m. PDT, with many to be given away by organizer KROQ-FM throughout the next month.

Chris

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Fountains of Wayne! I love that band. "Stacey's mom" is an awesome song. And Hot Hot Heat? I like that band too...

Quote Originally Posted by boredouttamind
    Fountains of Wayne! I love that band. "Stacey's mom" is an awesome song. And Hot Hot Heat? I like that band too...
    I haven't been to a concert in years and I've never been to an all day concert in the sun. So I am really contemplating whether I want to go or not. There is a pre-sale on Thursday at 10 am, so if I can get good seats, I will probably pick up 2. The real problem is though, I don't have any friends old enough, that like this kind of music and could go. If I could find someone, female, my age or younger that would really dig this music, that would make my decision a lot easier

Chris

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...Violent Femmes, the MOST over-rated band of the 80's?

ACK! I love the Femmes. They are awesome in concert. I see X was part of it last year - I would seriously consider going if either X or The Knitters were in it w/ the Femmes.

Quote Originally Posted by GrammarGoddess
    Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...Violent Femmes, the MOST over-rated band of the 80's?

ACK! I love the Femmes. They are awesome in concert. I see X was part of it last year - I would seriously consider going if either X or The Knitters were in it w/ the Femmes.
    Sorry, but they've been overplayed by KROQ, since they broke them in the 80's. The only song that I like from them is the one with the zylophones (sp?).

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mrpayroll
    Sorry, but they've been overplayed by KROQ, since they broke them in the 80's. The only song that I like from them is the one with the zylophones (sp?).

Chris
    Well got 2 tickets today at noon, before Ticketmaster.com went down. I originally got Loge 5, but I wanted better, then I got Loge 4 which was worse. Then I go dozens of lawn seating and finally got Loge 8, which is the same as Loge 5, except on the other side.

Now I've got to find someone to go with, who appreciates all of these bands and I've got to decide whether I'm going to get a motel room or not. My initial investigation shows that the closest motels are about 7 miles away. Ah decisions, decisions. Well 12 hours of 80's music, should be fun.

Chris

Well just got back from the concert! Whew!

Main Stage:

2:30 General Public - They played all their hits and sounded pretty good.

3:00 Dashboard Confessional - I guess they were okay. Went to the bathroom and good food during their set

3:30 Bow Wow Wow - Wow is all I can say. The musicians were really tight and played well together. I thought they were all the original members, but found out that Adrian Young of No Doubt played the drums. If you remember their music, drums played a big part of their sound and he played it to perfection. The other new member was the guitarist and his playing sounded like the original guy. Anabelle was jumping up and down the stage and sounded pretty good. She had a hard time with some of the high parts (she's not a 14 years old girl anymore), but her rapping/talking of the lyrics was spot on. They were a pleasant surprise. The crowd loved them!

4:00 Fountains of Wayne - Sounded terrible - They were too loud and the lead singer couldn't hold a tune. Even 'Stacys Mom' didn't sound all that good. The crowd seem disinterested.

4:30 Mark Almond of Soft Cell - Was looking forward to seeing him, but I was disappointed. Not in his voice, he was actually the best singer of the day. But in his choice of songs. He sang some of his solo songs (some were good), but then at the end he said 'Well since they said I'm from Soft Cell, I guess I have to do some of their songs. Well he ended with Tainted Love of course, but he didn't do Sex Dwarf or Muggs Game! . So you I was mad about that. Great voice, bad selection of songs.

5:00 Interpol - The best of the ‘new’ bands on the bill. The vocals were a little weak at times, but musically they were tight. Very enjoyable set and the crowd appreciated them.

5:30 Psychedelic Furs – A very big disappointment. They started off with one of my favorite songs of the 80’s ‘Love My Way’, but quite frankly lead singer Richard Butler was drunk off his ass and couldn’t hold a tune and he actually fell over backwards during on of their songs, flat on his back and kept on singing, trying to cover up his embarrassment. If he hadn’t been that drunk, maybe he would have sounded better.

6:10 Violent Femmes – Well what can I say about them. I wasn’t expecting much and they delivered. But I will never understand why they are a crowd favorite. The crowd ate them up and they gave a great performance (for the crowd). Though when they played ‘Gone Daddy Gone’ with the xylophones, that sounded great and the crowd went wild. I don’t know why they ever became popular, but I’m in the minority I guess.

6:50 Echo & the Bunnymen – They sounded good and it was great to hear their hit songs, though Ian McCulloch smoked like a chimney the whole time he was singing onstage.

7:30 Hot Hot Heat – I’m sure they will be has-beens in a couple of years, but right now they are hot, hot, hot! They were also too loud, loud, loud. Everything sounded distorted, but the crowd loved their hit songs.

8:00 Duran Duran – The best performance of the day. All 5 original members were playing for the first time in 15 years together! They sounded great, though Simon Le Bon voice was a little rough, but he kept on tune for the most part. The crowd just went wild during their set. This was a time when the crowd had the most energy going on. They played all of their hits and hadn’t seem to have lost a beat, due to their age. They should be very successful touring, following the release of their new album. They should have actually been the last band to go on, instead of The Cure, because they play with so much more energy and the crowd was jumping and dancing for most of their set. Read on about The Cure.

9:35 The Cure – They actually didn’t start until 10 pm and the crowd was started to drag by then. I know I was. The Cure sounded great. Robert Smith was pitch perfect with his records and has lost nothing to age. They started off with some of their real early stuff and that got the crowd really excited. The problem with The Cure is that their music is not ‘party’ music and kind of mellows out the crowd. They should have gone on before Duran Duran and the night should have ended with the energy of Duran Duran. So we left at 11 pm, to beat the traffic, and The Cure was still playing. But there were a lot of people leaving when we were leaving, so they were burnt out also. That being said, The Cure played some new music from their new album and it sounded really great. It’s pretty much sounds like The Cure of old, but it still sounded great.

Bud Light Side Stage:

1:00 Jet – From Australia, you could really hear that they were heavily influenced by AC/DC by their vocalist and especially by their lead guitarist. They played one hit song, but their songs sound too much alike to be set apart as an up and coming band.

1:50 Dramarama – Ah yes ‘Anything, Anything, which holds the distinction of being the song that KROQ has played more than any other song in it’s history. It is still popular more than 17 years after it came out. Well they started playing songs, songs which I had never heard, and by the time we had to leave to go to the main stage, we didn’t get to hear any of their hit songs, so I can’t say much about them.

2:40 Kings of Leon – Wasn’t around to hear them.

3:30 Berlin – Now what the hell was Berlin doing on the Side Stage? They should have been on the main stage in place of one of the mediocre newer bands, but I guess the Side Stage needed a headlining band and they lost. I would have loved to have heard their hits. Oh well!

All in all, the concert was an interesting experience. I’ve never been to a concert with 65,000 people! The place is huge, especially the lawn area, where about 70% of the 65k sat. But the bathroom / eating situation sucked. Too many people, not enough bathrooms. When I went to the bathroom during the Hot Hot Heat set, there was actually a line to the men’s bathroom and it took 10 minutes to get in there. And there were women in the men’s restroom. I had a hard enough time taking a piss at the urinal (trough), without having 2 hot girls, standing about 3 feet away from me, talking, waiting for a stall to use. And I don’t know why they would want to use a men’s bathroom stall. Most men that I have seen are PIGS and will not lift the seat when taking a piss. So these women were desperate. And talking about hot women, wow! The crowd was probably 60/40 in favor of the women and there were so many hot women, I couldn’t keep the drool wiped up off my face.

Will I do this type of a concert again? No probably not. There was just too many people and not enough facilities at the Glen Helen Hyundai Pavilion. But it was a once in a lifetime experience and I survived!

Chris

+ Reply to Thread