+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Break up songs

giz
    Some great ideas here. I'm going to make me a sad cd. Pity party here. I figure I'll start off with Don't Go Breaking My Heart by Elton John and Kiki Dee, move on to angry (Alannis Morrisette's You Oughta Know, Marianne Faithful's Why'd you Do What you Did, Martha Wainwright's Mother#$%ing A#%$hole, Frankee's song), then move on to Annie Lennox, culminating in Gloria Gaynor. She may be cheesy, but I think she's a grand way to end a doom and gloom cd. Is there any Chrissie Hynde that would do for me? I was thinking Criminal, maybe? Any other suggestions. I'm really looking forward to blasting Martha Wainwright, cause as conflicted as I am about this whole mess, I need to dispell the grumpyness to be able to go to next stage (denial? bartering? trying to pick up men in the produce section?).

not yet mentioned....

N*SYNC - Bye Bye Bye
    Scandal feat Patty Smyth - Goodbye To You

The First Cut Is the Deepest - Sheryl Crow

Although that's more about coming back from heartbreak, is it not?
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Giz, I'm not sure what your style of music is, but here's a list I put together a few years ago:

One - U2
    More than This - Roxy Music
    The One I Love - R.E.M.
    Fade Into You- Mazzy Star
    1,000 Oceans- Tori Amos
    Don't Think Twice, It's Alright - Bob Dylan
    Call and Answer - Barenaked Ladies
    Baby Can I Hold You - Tracy Chapman
    I Shall Believe- Sheryl Crow
    Wasted Time – Eagles
    Don't Come Around Here No More - Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers
    Can't You See? - Marshall Tucker Band
    Take Another Piece of My Heart - Janis Joplin
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

giz
    I'd never really paid attention to the lyrics of More Than This, so I"ll have to check that out. The Tom Petty and the Joplin are perfect! Thanks for that.

Mr. Rattus' breakup song with his prior woman was Tom Robinson's "War Baby". Personally I can't hear that song without feeling a certain amount of rancorous jealousy, but it might do for the anger portion of the program.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

This is more along the lines of "I wish you'd come back into my life," but it's called First Love by Utada Hikaru. She's supposed to be this huge star in Japan. The original song's in Japanese, but there's an English version that I like more (and not because it's in English ). It's hard to find, though- I had to steal it from my fiance's collection.

Getting back more on topic- I still love Since U Been Gone and the accompanying video. I love how Kelly Clarkson just trashes the guy's place

It's Been A While - Staind (used to be a good get back together song, but now it's just a breakup song!)
    Go Tigers!

giz
    I've come up with a bunch. Van Morrison's version of It's All Over Now, Baby Blue is great. I've burned the cd, started off with Don't Go Breaking My Heart, then into Walk Away by The English Beat, the Van the Man song, then Stop Dragging My Heart Around, Chill Factor by Pretenders,then into the angry with Martha Wainwright and Frankee (both titles unprintable here). Then Beautiful Disaster (sure applies in my husband's case!), Greenville by Lucinda Williams, One by U2, Marrow by Ani DiFranco, The Hurting Song by Annie Lennox, Call and Answer by the Ladies (Barenaked), I Wonder by Robert Cray, Up the Junction by Squeeze, No More I Love You's by Annie Lennox, and finally, onto acceptance with Simple Twist of Fate by Dylan. Everyone had such great suggestions I plan a volume 2, ending with Gloria Gaynor's cheesy but crucial I Will Survive. I'm actually done being mad, but it's still fun to listen to.

For a break-up song, this is the one song that comes to mind:

You Oughta Know - Alanis Morissette

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast