+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Singer Celia Cruz died

Singer Celia Cruz died

'Queen Of Salsa' Celia Cruz Dies
    Musician Died Of Complications From Brain Cancer

POSTED: 6:40 p.m. EDT July 16, 2003
    UPDATED: 8:32 a.m. EDT July 17, 2003

NEW YORK -- Cuban-born salsa star Celia Cruz, has died at her home in Fort Lee, N.J.
    Cruz died of complications from brain cancer.
    Wire reports say Cruz was 77. Known by many as the "Queen of Salsa," Cruz was very well known for her collaborations with Tito Puente.
    Cruz studied voice and music theory at the Conservatory of Music in Havana, and she began her career on radio and television in the Caribbean.

In 1960, she left Cuba, and began recording with Tito Puente's band in New York City.
    She has toured throughout the Caribbean, North America and much of Europe, and has been featured in many films (including the 1992 release, "Mambo Kings"), and has recorded over 70 albums. end***
    She had one church ceremony in Miami on Saturday. Today and tomorrow she will be in NY for public viewing. Tomorrow I believe there will be a 30 block procession going to St. Patricks Cathedral.

She was very famous, encouraged new artists, and was flamboyant with her hair and gowns. Her many fans will miss her. Rest in peace.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    delete - Eldee - I promise I meant no disrespect - I guess I just don't get the hype. I'm sorry
    Last edited by marybethp; 07-22-2003 at 02:26 PM.

I'm glad it was meant in "good jest" because I sure didn't read it that way. Maybe she meant something more than the music. Now I wish I could take this thread down. Mods, feel free to delete it.

+ Reply to Thread