+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISPs slammed with subpoenas

ISPs slammed with subpoenas

The music industry has obtained at least 871 federal subpoenas in the past month to go after people who illegally trade music over the Internet.

"When it gets the names from Internet companies, the industry plans to file civil lawsuits to stop the practice -- and deter others with the threat of penalties of $150,000 per stolen song."

I hope everybody here has gotten rid of their copies of Kazaa, iMesh, etc.! What are your opinions regarding this issue?

Yahoo News Story
    Last edited by Mantenna; 07-19-2003 at 04:15 PM.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Manny -- I still download from Kazaa all the time... Am I at risk for getting sued (not that there's anything for them to get...)?
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

I suppose so. The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) is turning this into a disgusting invasion of privacy. For example, this was in my Colorado Springs paper this morning:

"The 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act permits music companies to force internet providers to turn over the names of suspected music pirates upon subpoena from any U.S. District Court clerk's office without a judge's signature required."

"RIAA is forcing some of the largest internet providers such as Verizon Communications, Inc., Comcast Cable Communications, Inc., and some universities to provide names and mailing addresses for users on their networks known online by nicknames. In some cases, subpoenas cite as few as FIVE (emphasis mine) songs as 'representative recordings' of music files availabe for downloading from these users."

You know, I've probably bought more CDs and come to recognize more groups from being able to download their music and hear a preview before I go out and buy the albums. I would never burn a CD from just downloading it--I would go buy the album and support the artist if they're any good.

I got rid of all my "music-sharing" software last week. I'll probably buy less CDs now as a result. Heck, I'm boycotting the Deftones' new CD because all I ever got from trying to download a song were those fake files the industry so loves to put on the "download market." It'll be a cold day in Arizona before I buy their CD now!!!
    Last edited by Mantenna; 07-19-2003 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna

I got rid of all my "music-sharing" software last week. I'll probably buy less CDs now as a result. Heck, I'm boycotting the Deftones' new CD because all I ever got from trying to download a song were those fake files the industry so loves to put on the "download market." It'll be a cold day in Arizona before I buy their CD now!!!
    Well, I'm guess you're not going to be buying Deftone's new CD anytime soon.

I agree with your post above... I only downloand music for my own personal use, and to get an :"idea" of what I like. I am all for supporting the artist I enjoy.

FORT Fogey
    Wait, so is it okay if I still listen to my music from Kazaa but I stop downloading? Or will we still get sued?

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    If you SHARE music, then there is a chance that you will get sued. However, if you disable the sharing function, they can't sue you. At least, that's what i've heard.

Okay... if you disable the "shareing function", are you still able to download music? Sorry if this is a stupid question...

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Yep. And there are no stupid questions. Usually.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkieparrot
    Wait, so is it okay if I still listen to my music from Kazaa but I stop downloading? Or will we still get sued?
    For now, it will probably be fine. According to my sources, who are knowledgeable in this field and about services that block scans and "spies" going through your files, they're mostly targeting active downloaders. You should definitely get rid of Kazaa from your computer (i.e. not download any more files), but I don't think keeping your existing music will hurt anything. If it comes to that point, there will be serious mayhem on both sides.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna
    For now, it will probably be fine. According to my sources, who are knowledgeable in this field and about services that block scans and "spies" going through your files, they're mostly targeting active downloaders. You should definitely get rid of Kazaa from your computer (i.e. not download any more files), but I don't think keeping your existing music will hurt anything. If it comes to that point, there will be serious mayhem on both sides.
    Cool Thanks for clearing it up for me!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast