+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst/Best Cover Song?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulahbaby
    I also like Mariah Carey's version of "I still believe" orginally done by Brenda K. Starr.
    Warning: Useless Trivia Tidbit to Follow:

Mariah was actually a protege of Brenda K. Starr and sang backup on the original version. Mariah later recorded the song herself as a tribute because she feels that Brenda was very, very much responsible for her eventual success. Mariah also calls it one of her favorite songs of all time.

Thank you for reading; Now back to your regulary scheduled Cover Song thread.

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    Thanks for the trivia Daddio! I remember being in 8thgrade and singing "I still believe" in the gym locker room! (Brenda K. Starr version)
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulahbaby
    Thanks for the trivia Daddio! I remember being in 8thgrade and singing "I still believe" in the gym locker room! (Brenda K. Starr version)
    My pleasure my dear. I personally prefer the Brenda K. Starr version myself. I like Mariah except when she uses too many vocal gymnastics. Which she often does.

FORT Fogey
    I uses to love the original "I Still Believe"--I played the 45 over & over. (Yes, I am old enough to know what a "45" is...)

---Side note on the 45 thing--when my son was in Kindergarten he came home all excited one day, "Mom! My teacher has this thing that plays these discs--not cd's, they are black--it's really cool!" He had never seen a record player! ---

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by scarlett530
    I uses to love the original "I Still Believe"--I played the 45 over & over. (Yes, I am old enough to know what a "45" is...)

---Side note on the 45 thing--when my son was in Kindergarten he came home all excited one day, "Mom! My teacher has this thing that plays these discs--not cd's, they are black--it's really cool!" He had never seen a record player! ---
    I hear ya scarlet. I still have hundreds of albums and 45's. I have a great turntable and an extra diamond stylus just in case (you cant get this stuff anymore aside from DJ scratch equipment).

BUT I lost my 45 ring (the little thing you put in the hole so that you can play it on a regular turn-table. So I cant play my 45's! (wah-wah-wah).

I have been scouring garage sales and flea markets looking for a new one ever since. I am sure I will find one some day. In the mean time I haven't heard "Billy Dont Be a Hero", "Disco Duck" or "They Call Him the Streak" in ages! LOL

When I was out and about this afternoon I heard "Mony Mony" by Billy Idol on my car radio. That's a pretty good cover -- the original by Tommy James & The Shondells.

i haven't decided if it's good or bad... but, it's sure as hell different...

type o negative's cover of "baby one more time" by britney spears.

odd.
    "I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best .. "

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by sinclair
    When I was out and about this afternoon I heard "Mony Mony" by Billy Idol on my car radio. That's a pretty good cover -- the original by Tommy James & The Shondells.
    I absolutely HATE how this song somehow got turned into a raunchy dance club "sing along" song with everyone chanting "Get la*d!, Get Fu&%ed!" in the breaks. It was stupid when it first began in the late 80's or early 90's and it continues on to this day. I was at a bar recently and the DJ played it and actually muted the music during the breaks so that everyone could be heard screaming this juvenile stuff even louder. The majority of the crowd in the bar (early 20's) went absolutely NUTS and their chanting was deafening. Puh-lease.

I was at a baseball game over the summer where they played it and a lot of the Gen Xers in the crowd chanted it there too - and it was a day game on a Saturday afternoon and the place was full of families with kids. (granted that the guy at the stadium made a poor choice of song if he had any inclination of the chanting that was likely to take place).

I never understood this Mony Mony phenomonon.
    Last edited by Daddio; 10-27-2003 at 01:13 PM.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    I never understood this Mony Mony phenomonon.
    I'm with ya Daddio! I threatened my DJ not to play that at our wedding (along with What I Like About You and Old Time Rock and Roll!!)

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by marybethp
    I'm with ya Daddio! I threatened my DJ not to play that at our wedding (along with What I Like About You and Old Time Rock and Roll!!)
    Ha ha Marybeth...i can just picture your 90 year old blue-haired great aunt scrunching her face and asking "What are they all chanting?" and then someone telling her!

+ Reply to Thread