Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Worst/Best Cover Song?

Best:

Love Song - 311
    Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm
    Blue Monday - Orgy
    Faith - Limp Biskit
    My Perogative - Britney Spears

Haha ok I know that last one looks extremely out of place, but I think its awesome and I don't care if you make fun of me!

Worst....hmm Shakira singing Dude Looks Like a Lady at that Aerosmith tribute show on MTV....I love Shakira but I just was NOT digging it.

Yesterday I was listening to CBC radio (the Canadian government owned broadcaster) and they played a song by Paul Anka. It was a swing jazz version of Van Halen's Jump. I don't think that music gets much worse than that.
    Apparently Paul Anka has a whole album of covers of artists such as Soundgarden and Nirvana. Fortunately the CBC only played the one song.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by William13
    Yesterday I was listening to CBC radio (the Canadian government owned broadcaster) and they played a song by Paul Anka. It was a swing jazz version of Van Halen's Jump. I don't think that music gets much worse than that.
    Apparently Paul Anka has a whole album of covers of artists such as Soundgarden and Nirvana. Fortunately the CBC only played the one song.
    tell me no......how dare he desecrate Diamond Dave's song.........
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Morrissey's "Moon River"

Best - Maroon 5 singing Cry Me a River
    Worst - Any cover sung by Hillary Duff
    Check out my avatar It's Chad Michael Murray!

I decided to resurrect this thread after hearing some spectacular covers recently.

"Femme Fatale" - Big Star (originally The Velvet Underground with Nico) Big Star was a seldom-heard but wonderful power-pop band of the late '70s, led by the mellifluous tenor and wracked vision of Alex Chilton. Their take on "Femme" is just hot, mainly due to the crisp guitar of Steve Cropper (who was a prominent session player who played on all the Blues Brothers recordings) and Chilton's pining vocals. Impressively, he sings in the same range as Nico.

"Running Scared" - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds (originally Roy Orbison) Already a favorite of mine, Nick and the Seeds perform a rare feat by covering a master and coming up with an equally awe-inspiring take. I was amazed how well Nick's baritone voice worked on an Orbison tune.

"Pretty Ballerina" - Eels (originally The Left Banke) The Left Banke, a "baroque-pop" ensemble from the '60s, is such a hidden treasure that Big Star is a household name in comparison! Once again, we have a completely different vocal approach, as E's voice is in typically raspy form compared to Steve Martin's original soaring, near-falsetto vocals. However, E knows how to arrange his pieces, with the Eels' live performance featuring piano, a suitcase/trash can percussion set, and a string quartet which positively takes flight in the bridge.
    Last edited by Mantenna; 07-28-2006 at 05:20 PM.

Best:
    My Perogative - Britney Spears
    Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me - Gloria Estefan

Worst:
    The Loco-motion - Grand Funk Railroad
    When a Man Loves a Woman - Michael Bolton

Hey!...I heard a new cover song out on the radio last night in the car...."Foo Fighters"-Tiny Dancer......covering my one and only Elton John's song!

didn't do too bad either!

FORT Fan
    Can't Get You Out Of My Head- Coldplay (Kylie M)

Interesting....never heard that...I'll have to check that one out!

+ Reply to Thread