+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Worst/Best Cover Song?

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Worst cover ever: William Shatner's torturous rendition of the Beatles' "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds". Just aching. Will make your ears bleed.
    I couldn't agree more!!!! His cover of "Rocket Man" is equally horrendous!

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    best cover...(and I think it is even better) is Rod Stewart"s "Do you think I'm sexy" by the Revolting Cocks.

alos agree....anything Celine Dion covering any song is the worse

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Best: "Laid" covered by Better Than Ezra; "Dancing Barefoot" covered by U2, "The Man Who Sold the World" covered by Nirvana

Worst (to the point my ears will bleed): Anything covered by Michael Bolton and that god-awful Jessica Simpson cover of "Take my Breath Away" There are others that are bad...really bad...but these are the worst to me.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Rufus Wainwright does an awesome cover of "Across The Universe" by the Beatles. It's from the soundtrack "Sam I Am"; Beatles songs covered by various artists. Excellent soundtrack.

Actually, Rufus could sing "Mary Had A Little Lamb" and it would be my new favorite song.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy
    Rufus Wainwright does an awesome cover of "Across The Universe" by the Beatles. It's from the soundtrack "Sam I Am"; Beatles songs covered by various artists. Excellent soundtrack.

Actually, Rufus could sing "Mary Had A Little Lamb" and it would be my new favorite song.
    Love Rufus, Jewels!

Best Cover I love Orgy's cover of New Order's "Blue Monday"
    Alien Ant Farm doing Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal" makes me laugh every time I hear it

Worst Cover Didn't Hilary Duff cover "Our Lips Are Sealed"? Ah, if only that were true Hil.
    I don't know about Celene Dion covering anything because as soon as I hear her voice, I change the station.

Siouxsie's cover of "Dear Prudence" is one of my favorites, SFG!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

It may be , but I love a good cover.

Off the top of my head:

I agree with Critical on Alien Ant Farm's Smooth Criminal.

I'm also down with The Ataris' Boys of Summer (and you just knew they were going to be a one-hit-wonder band ), Johnny Cash's Hurt and Sheryl Crow's Sweet Child O' Mine.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Not so much a cover as it is a remix. Kylie Minogue's 'Can't Get Blue Monday Outta My Head" is really fun. It's amazing how easily Can't Get You Outta My Head mixed with Blue Monday.. very cool remix.

Since Shrek 2 has been on about 800 times in the last week, and I've watched it at least half of them, I've become really fond of Frou Frou's cover of "Holding Out For a Hero" that plays over the closing credits (Bonnie Tyler did the song on the Footloose soundtrack....ah, memories...). Totally different from the original, which is usually why I like a cover. It's no good if the artist is just doing an impersonation of the original.

Phat - I like The Boys of Summer cover too The Ataris will definitely be on a VH1 Where Are They Now? special someday!

Is it a cover if the artist who did it in the first place records it again? Either way, I love Roy Orbison singing "Crying" with k.d. lang.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

stuck on an island with creepy ferret faced Ben
    Worst Ever: My Way - Sid Vicious

if you want to cheat, here's a list of someone's Top 100 which also includes a Top 10 worst ever list. Some are eyerollers, as with any subjective list you see ie. Downtown Train by Rod Stewart

Seeing the top 100 list made me think of two omissions: Higher Ground by Red Hot Chili Peppers and then, Superstition by Stevie Ray Vaughan

Joey Ramone made many great covers, but his version of "I Got You, Babe" done with Holly Vincient is cool.

The Times They Are A-Changin' by The Wanderers
    Last edited by SQUATMAN; 05-31-2005 at 06:55 AM.

I think the best cover song I've heard was Whitney Houston's version of Dolly Parton's song "I Will Always Love You".

I hated what la Whitney The Diva said to Dolly about it tho: Dolly ran into her at a Grammy Awards event and told Whitney she really loved her version of the song, and congratulated her on the song heading up the charts. Nice compliment from a song author and original singer to someone who did a cover of it. I guess Whitney didn't realize it was Dolly who wrote the song, so someone in Whitney's entourage mentioned to Whitney that Dolly was the author. Whitney's reply to Dolly "well, it wasn't popular until I sang it, it's my song now", and then Whitney walked off with her entourage to wherever -- no thank-you-for-the-compliment or thanks-for-writing-a-beautiful-song or anything.

But, though I think Whitney was a complete snotty jackass to Dolly, I do think her cover of the song was just beautiful.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

+ Reply to Thread