+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Worst/Best Cover Song?

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by LATAS
    I never cared for Willie Nelson until I listened to "Stardust." I think that's the album title (album... dating myself) Anyway, THAT is one OUTSTANDING example of what covers should be. I just loved it.

That's when Willie won me over, also. I was so happy when I got that LP for Christmas in .... umm.... way before I was born.

I agree - that is what covers should be.

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    Whoops! I forgot another "Best"

Nirvana -- The Man Who Sold the World"
    Could does not mean should

eny
    FORT Fogey
    You forgot Nirvana - Jesus Wants Me For A Sunbeam . Makes me cry every single time.

Horrible covers

Celine Dion covering anything .
    Roy Orbison was rolling in his grave with "Drove all Night" , and Laura Branigan died young of a brain aneurysm after hearing her caterwall her way through Power of Love.
    I'm with the rest of Canadians that think we should lock the borders to undesirables re- entering the country. Stay in Vegas.
    Britney covering My Perogative - It's Britney. Whitney wasn't pleased but I'm sure she liked the cash.
    Jessica Simpson - Take My Breath Away. It wasn't a great song to begin with but Holy Hanna - That is just way too much.
    Rod Stewart doing Tom Waits' "Downtown Train" actually all the covers he's done in past few years suck big time. Only one he did worth anything was "People Get Ready" with old Buddy Jeff Beck.
    All time worst has to go to Pat Boones version Of Stairway to Heaven. Really. Look for it at your download place of choice, but be warned your head may implode.

Best Covers
    "Comfortably Numb"-Van Morrison
    "Hero"-Wallflowers
    "All along the Watchtower" - Jimi Hendrix - Duh
    "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" - Aretha Franklin
    "Pride in the Name of Love" - Clivilles and Cole ( later C&C music factory" )

I really like Iron and Wine's version of "Such Great Heights" (As to which version is better, I tend to like to listen to this version rather than The Postal Service version when I am in more of a depressed or stressed state. Both are equally good though)

Another cover I really like is Gary Jules's version of the Tears for Fears song "Mad World". The music video for the song is really cool, too.
    I love you J.J. Abrams for "LOST" AND "ALIAS"!!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the road less traveled by and they CANCELLED MY FRIKKIN' SHOW. I totally shoulda took the road that had all those people on it. Damn. -Joss Whedon (Firefly and Buffy ROCK too! )

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    I love rock on roll by britney spears - worse

Heart shaped box by Amy lee ( Evanescence) - The best i've ever heard.

Sue me, im biased.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna
    Another awesome cover is A Perfect Circle's "Diary of a Madman/Lovesong" medley they often perform live. I like it better than the originals, respectively.
    I hope you've heard their version of "Imagine" by Lennon, it's really good. Though im fond of most things APC.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Oh Amy Lee, I think you'll soon find Mantenna is inordinately fond of all things APC, if I'm not mistaken!

Anyway, since I found some of my old music collection this winter, I re-discovered a few more covers I just love:

-->Siouxsie and the Banshees' covers of Iggy Pop's Passenger and the Beatles' Dear Prudence

-->Bauhaus' Ziggy Stardust--I have to agree with a very wise woman whose opinion is that it is actually superior to the original; though I still love the Bowie version, I find it is this version I find myself singing.

-->Morrissey's cover of Suede's My Insatiable One--I mean HOW COOL ARE YOU when you've got bloody Morrissey doing YOUR song in concert?

-->Oh and of course: Quiet Riot's version of Slade's Cum On Feel The Noize.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

seanboy316
    Best Cover - "All Along The Watchtower" Jimi Hendrix.
    Worst Cover - "Freebird/Baby I Love Your Way medley" by Will To Power.

I can't think of the worst cover, but I really liked way Fiona Apple sang Jimi Hendrix' "Angel" in MTV Unplugged.

The Red House Painters do an absolutely amazing cover of "Shock Me" by Kiss, of all bands. I swear, they take that song and turn it into something so incredibly different and beautiful and bizarrely haunting, you wouldn't even think it was the same song.

+ Reply to Thread