+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 34 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: Catfish- MTV

Catfish- MTV

Did anyone catch this show last night? Its based on the movie of the same name. The premise of the documentary movie was a couple fell in love over the internet, having never met in person...and when they finally met the girl was not at all who she was portraying to be. The guy involved in the movie is now turning to the public, since he got so many emails from people saying they were in the same situation.

The premise intrigues me because I have had a couple of internet based relationships in the past, some first meetings turned out really good and some didnt...

I missed the show, but I am watching it on the internet as we speak. The first ep is a girl in Arkansas in love with an LA model/P.A. she met thru her sisters facebook page. When the guy is called he sounds like he is 14 years old...I cant wait to see the results!!
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

Re: Catfish- MTV

i want to catch this show . . . do you know if it's on the mtv website? i saw the movie, it was great.

it is on the MTV website, thats how I watched it. Great ending to this first one! I want to see the movie now, even tho Im spoiled on what happened
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

I saw previews but forgot to record it. I just went to MTV and set my dvr. It does look good.
    KAREN

I saw it and liked it enough to add it to the DVR weekly schedule. I can't believe that the girl was falling for all those obvious lies... He's a model, studying online to be an anesthesiologist, also he is a writer for Chelsea Lately and creates the cue cards for her. ...gullible much? I guess I need to rent the movie now.

Just listening to "Jamison" on the phone, you could tell it was a female voice.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    Just listening to "Jamison" on the phone, you could tell it was a female voice.
    Or a 14yo boy like Max (Nev's partner) said. And I am in Paris. Ugh.
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.
    KAREN

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I felt so sorry for Sunny. Of course we all know it was terribly foolish for her to just naively get deeper and deeper involved with him, without checking him out and without insisting on, at the very least, talking to him multiple times on video cam (e.g. Skype) EARLY ON, before she started developing deep feelings for him --- You have to have that 'visual' contact to see for yourself if there's any chemistry --- not to mention the fact that in order to REALLY see if the chemistry is truly there, you have to meet IN PERSON. So, for Sunny to let this go on for 8 months was really foolish on her part. BUT, having said all that, and even tho Sunny handled this so poorly, in so many ways, the fact remains that she truly fell in love with "Jamison" and was broken hearted when 'he' turned out to be Chelsea. I was surprised that when Sunny confronted Chelsea she never said those words --- "You said you loved me and wanted to marry me." "I fell in love with you." "You broke my heart!"

In the past I did a lot of on-line dating - for a long long time. I occasionally met some great guys, but mostly I met guys who lied BIG TIME, and most of the guys I communicated with would be considered 'losers.' But the one thing I learned very early on, was that I had to meet them in person almost immediately, like after one or two phone calls, because once you start getting to "know" someone on the phone, it becomes very seductive VERY QUICKLY. That, I think is the real problem. And, equally important is that you have to really weed these people out and check out who they really are, very early on, because unfortunately, on-line almost everyone lies about something. And very often, those lies are major BIG TIME lies!!!
    Last edited by Imperfect1; 11-17-2012 at 10:40 PM.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

As a person who watches a lot of shows like Dateline, Who the BLEEP Did I Marry?, etc., I've become very protective of my young friends who are meeting people online. One young divorced single mom whom I know fairly well had become reacquainted with someone she knew 20 years earlier in junior high school. This level-headed young woman was ready to give up a good life in Arizona and move herself and her 12-year-old daughter to Texas within just a few weeks.

All of my "WARNING" lights started going off as she described this man and the many things he was telling her. "Don't bring any of your furniture with you. I just moved into a huge house with my two daughters, and I need someone to decorate it from top to bottom. And don't think about having to work. I just want to take care of you for the rest of your life."

I googled. In 20 key strokes, I had found a mug shot (parole violation for an earlier aggravated assault with a weapon conviction). I contacted her and said, "You may know about this, but just in case you don't, I think you should know about it before you give up your job and move across the country." At first, she was buying his excuse for what it was all about (an incident at a party for which he pled guilty "just so he'd get probation and not take a chance on a jury finding an innocent man guilty and sending him to jail").

Then I checked his Facebook. Most of his friends looked scary, and almost every picture of his prepubescent daughters showed them in skimpy tops either on beds or reclining on couches - nothing you'd expect to see of kids playing or going to the zoo. And my friend has a daughter!!!!

She came to her senses when she did a little more checking on her own. Now she's much more careful about the guys she meets online. (The last one turned out to be nice enough, but confessed to being a hoarder.) She not only googles them, I gave the website to check out sexual predators in Arizona.

Yep, folks need to be careful out there.

Totally!

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    just listening to "jamison" on the phone, you could tell it was a female voice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 34 1234567891011 ... LastLast