+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: Catfish- MTV

Re: Catfish- MTV

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Maybe her attraction is just the challenge of a "straight" woman. I have a gay male friend who I've heard say that he could get a straight man if he wanted to....no problem. Maybe there's a finer line in the sexual attraction/interaction/curiosity game than we know.....and that's kind of depressing.
    I do think there is more fluidity/bisexuality in the world than people generally think. I don't think it's depressing. The world is far more shades of gray that it is black and white!

That said, if Dee hooks up with a straight woman who thinks Dee is a man (a) she's not "turning" the woman gay because the woman thinks she is hooking up with a guy and (b) she is a low-down liar. And if Dee hooks up with a woman who knows Dee is a woman, that woman is (by definition) not straight. She would at least be bisexual.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

There's only so long a woman is going to think that Dee is a man. The catfished woman, I can understand since she is not in any kind of close proximity. A close-up woman, I think, may lie to herself and play games with herself out of convenience of location.

I think it's depressing because it just tells me that life is like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, unfortunately: "You never know what you're gonna get." That just seems unfair. I'm not anti-homosexuality; I am anti-just never being quite sure of what the hell is going on. Good grief.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I found that woman Dee upsetting. Her attitude that she could "turn" a straight woman into a lesbian was beyond arrogant. If a straight woman is attracted to her, it is likely because she thinks Dee is male, not because she is simply flipping a switch on her sexuality! The fact that she was so comfortable with her behavior of luring women into sexual contact with her under the pretense she was a man is disturbing and disrespectful. In fact, it strikes me as borderline abusive. The women that she is hooking up with have the right to know who they are getting involved with. There are all kinds of people in the world. I am certain Dee could find women who are interested in her for who she is, not because they think she's a guy.

I think a lot of homophobia is rooted in the notion that gay people are on the prowl to "turn straight people gay". This woman is a prime example of that kind of absurd behavior. IMO, she seems like a terrible representation of the gay community.
    I agree with you, CRTW!

I feel DEE was beyond arrogant herself.

I was glad to see Max, Nev and K just drive away from arrogant Dee after the initial meeting.

Dee was standing around waiting for K to come back and talk to her but instead they just drove off.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I think it's depressing because it just tells me that life is like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, unfortunately: "You never know what you're gonna get." That just seems unfair. I'm not anti-homosexuality; I am anti-just never being quite sure of what the hell is going on. Good grief.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

At the time Keyonna (I think that's how she spelled it) said "I'm not gay", my daughter and I were still looking to each other for some clarity (dude? chick?) on Dee. We thought it was a young male (young . . . like 12) but felt that that would have been somewhat anticlimactic given the situation. You always have to be ready for the most outrageous explanation with this show.

I was offended by Dee's attitude that she (?) was interested in straight girls because she "liked a challenge". If you want a 'challenge', convince your vegan friend to eat a burger. What happens to the "born that way" theory if there are people out there trying to get you to switch sides, not because they LOVE you, but merely as a goal for their own personal fulfillment?

After an episode like that, I'm convinced I watch just to see Max and his cynical attitude towards those who are so easily fooled. We usually end up eye-rolling and smirking at the same time.
    prhoshay likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

This last episode was located in my homestate. I'm not familiar with that small town Keyonnah was from though. When Nev was looking at this woman from Louisburg, (which is near Raleigh, NC), I got so excited. I was starting to get a little upset though that he had come near Raleigh with his crew and I missed it! No doubt he flew in to RDU International though. I missed them.

I guess I have a different take on this case than most. Regardless of Dee lying, I still think I would have a certain amout of gratitude for that money. That's a lot of money. I would be very appreciative, even if I was lied to. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I guess I have a different take on this case than most. Regardless of Dee lying, I still think I would have a certain amout of gratitude for that money. That's a lot of money. I would be very appreciative, even if I was lied to. lol
    It's hard to imagine without being in the situation, but I think I would have been EXCEEDINGLY uncomfortable with it.

If it was a celebrity you could use the argument that they can throw around money like that. Once it was revealed that the source was not a celebrity, the recipient could be left feeling guilty that this person scammed money from friends and family. I just don't buy that whole "people want to help me out" argument at all. And *if* they actually want to help out I would imagine they assume they would be helping further Dee's career rather than helping her send money to a woman she had never met! I was also uncomfortable that there seemed to be some expectation tied to the money...
    prhoshay likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm not comfortable accepting things from people I don't know and, sometimes, from people that I do. The price usually turns out to be too high and I will not be beholden....that can be a control mechanism. Generally, nothing comes for free.

I think it would be na´ve to believe that nothing will be expected, in return.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 10-15-2013 at 11:58 AM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

catfish mike and ashley.jpg

Mike Fortunato - featured in the 10th episode of season two - has died.

Catfish's Michael Fortunato Dead At 26 - Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV.com
    Last edited by Little Sew&Sew; 10-15-2013 at 02:14 PM.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

That is incredibly sad.

+ Reply to Thread