+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: Catfish- MTV

Re: Catfish- MTV

Good points, Cornholio! I hadn't considered some of the points you make.

If we really want to address the details, then this episode would be in trouble.

What young person has the same phone number for 8 years? And, what young person has a landline phone? I don't know any who do. Most have cell numbers and they come up unlisted on reverse on Anywho.com. On an I.D. it shows just the number and not the name of the person, so how did Nev get that name of that married man? It doesn't add up, IMO.

The more I think about it, the more fishy it seems. Eventually, the truth will come to light and I hope it doesn't reflect poorly against Nev. I know the show is for entertainment, however, if they manipulate the facts too much, they will lose viewers, IMO. Hey, I am a skeptic and have been since I saw the movie Catfish. I think that Nev knew what he was doing through most of that thing. I suspect he knew the truth long before he went to meet that lady. JMO I still like Nev though.

Your theory of the payoff to Derek to go along with the story is pretty wild. Hmmmmm....

Someone remind me what was said about the the trike. I forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Good points, Cornholio! I hadn't considered some of the points you make.

If we really want to address the details, then this episode would be in trouble.

What young person has the same phone number for 8 years? And, what young person has a landline phone? I don't know any who do. Most have cell numbers and they come up unlisted on reverse on Anywho.com. On an I.D. it shows just the number and not the name of the person, so how did Nev get that name of that married man? It doesn't add up, IMO.

The more I think about it, the more fishy it seems. Eventually, the truth will come to light and I hope it doesn't reflect poorly against Nev. I know the show is for entertainment, however, if they manipulate the facts too much, they will lose viewers, IMO. Hey, I am a skeptic and have been since I saw the movie Catfish. I think that Nev knew what he was doing through most of that thing. I suspect he knew the truth long before he went to meet that lady. JMO I still like Nev though.

Your theory of the payoff to Derek to go along with the story is pretty wild. Hmmmmm....

Someone remind me what was said about the the trike. I forgot.
    I'll just say I've had the same phone number since I first got my cell phone almost 10 years ago.

Frankly, I don't care if this episode was a set up and they played it off real. I was just happy to get a "happy ending" for those involved.
    "The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one." ~Elbert Hubbard
    "Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product." ~Eleanor Roosevelt
    ~R.I.P. Grandma 6/22/33 - 10/5/10~

Umngirl, that's unusual to have a cell number that long. But, if Derek did have his number that long, how would it have come back to another person's name? In fact, how would Nev be able to reverse lookup a cell number? I googled and my cell it's not listed. Anywho.com does not cover cell numbers. Only landline numbers come up. So, I guess that means that the guy had a landline number in his name since he was in his teens. Odd, IMO.

I guess some people don't mind if it's fake, but I would like to know. I do know that reality tv is rarely real. lol I won't stop watching this show, but would like my questions answered. Maybe I think too much.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm not a person who believes in changing my telephone numbers unless I absolutely have to.....like maybe I have a stalker, or something similar. I've also always had a landline. When I get a good number, I like to keep it! I also list my number under some bizarre name with NO address.

I also remember when I had a strange phone number showing up on my bill for months. Didn't have a clue as to who these people were, but the phone company insisted on trying to bill me for their service.

Maybe Derek is a relative of the older man and his family? Something is just WRONG. I still believe that something IS wrong with Derek. He certainly is not a very motivated young man, is he? He's the kind of kid you will never get out of your house! Serious "failure to launch"!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm not sure if Derek is unmotivated or Lauren. If I were Derek, I would feel uncomfortable with her latching onto me straight from her dad. What was she doing? I realize that raising her son is time consuming, but most young moms have to work and/or get their education too. She didn't seem focused on much other than getting up with Derek. Plus, she seemed very immature.

If my calculations on her age are correct, she was about 14 when she started communicating with Derek. If he's about the same age, then he's between 22-25 years of age. That would mean he had a land line phone at age 14 in his name. It just doesn't make sense to me. PLUS, that house was definintely not his, so why would the phone be in his name. If you noticed in the end, they had a comment written on the screen that Derek could give no explanation for why the phone was not in his name, but he was working with the phone company trying to get it straight. I suspect BS.

I definitely think there was something up that we were not made privy to.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

That whole thing about the $39 bird bath made my brow knit.
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Please remind me the deal with the trike. I can't recall.

FORT Fanatic

Debb70 I have watched the episode twice and I don't see where they mentioned a landline. You can do cell phone searches. There are several websites where you can do it, most of them charge a small fee. The guy's name could very easily be attached to the cell phone number. A friend set me up on a blind date, before I went out with him I did a ton of easy online detective work similar to what Nev does. His cell number showed up as a landline registered to an elderly couple in an online search, it wasn't. He was legit, his number and name showed up in caller ID.

She did say she started "talking" with him when she was 14 and he was 16. I think he has been married, living with someone or engaged and she was the girl on the side. He didn't want his main girl to find out...therefore no webchats, etc. In his phone he could give her a guy's name so when she called, people saw another name, etc. I think that's the secret...his past.
    AmyKay and Debb70 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Please remind me the deal with the trike. I can't recall.
    Hey Debb - Derek told Lauren that his dream was to ride cross country with her on his trike. This was in their conversations by text, I believe. Then when Nev pulled photos of the older black guy w/ the phone number that was supposedly Derek, there were photos of him with his trike. Hhhhmmm, catfishy indeed.

OMG watched it just tonight and finallllly a happy ending CATFISH!!!!!

As far as phone #'s, I have had the same cell # since 2001! I will say I have had tons of different phones over the years but the same #!
    So I do not think its odd that Derek has had his # for 8 years.
    Like Nev said during the After Show .... often those reverse phone search sites don't work right.

What I thought was most odd is that Lauren never told her Dad about Derek! 8 years and she never mentioned him to her Dad and Stepmom!?! Hmmm!

I think they make a sweet couple! Lauren is a doll, Mason is adorable and Derek has nice eyes!

The trike and R Levoure was really ODD????
    KAREN

+ Reply to Thread