+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: Catfish- MTV

Re: Catfish- MTV

It seems to me that if a person was a big fan of this show and Nev, they would have probably watched an episode or two. Seems like then you would have learned enough of the process to drop a picture into Google yourself.
    momrek06 and Little Sew&Sew like this.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scoot13 View Post
    It seems to me that if a person was a big fan of this show and Nev, they would have probably watched an episode or two. Seems like then you would have learned enough of the process to drop a picture into Google yourself.

That's true and I wonder the same thing myself. HOWEVER . . . . if they all did that, we'd have no need for Nev and Max.
    momrek06 and scoot13 like this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Last night was a shocker! I was really thinking that older man had played this girl for eight years, but thank goodness, he didn't.

I still wonder why this guy was so set on not seeing this girl for so many years. Wouldn't you just want to get together sooner? I still don't know what could have been behind the scenes. Whose house was he living in? Did he have any criminal trouble? Drug issues? Just speculating, but I really don't understand the hold back. His explanation that he was just nervous about meeting her doesn't cut it with me. If I'm wrong, so be it. I do wish them the best. They seem like a good fit. Her son is adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cornholio likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I can't help but wonder where baby-daddy is. Like it or not, baggage is baggage. Ladies, why do we not protect ourselves against pregnancies until we are pretty sure where we are going?

I'm with you, Debb....there are more questions to be asked and answered. When something looks perfect, it's time to be concerned.
    Cornholio likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Yeah, I wondered about the little guy's dad too. He was such a sweet child. Maybe he's just not in the picture. I see that a lot.

Many teens have parents to fall back on and don't consider a teen pregnancy without a partner a big deal. It's amazing how many that just get pregnant without much thought. No thought of education, employment, support, etc. Just easy come, easy go. I have seen it in my own family. Honestly, I think they do it just to have something to love, like a puppy or kitten. They don't worry about the work either. They just rely on family members to take care of it. Don't get me started. It's so frustrating to see a child raising a child. And then on top of that they want multiple pets that they don't have the money to care for....don't get me started. lol

The girl from last night did seem to be rather immature, IMO. I wonder what she's been doing with her life since her son was born. Maybe I missed it. Did she get any education? Was she employed? I was wondering if she is a motivated person and if not, maybe this guy didn't want to end up supporting her and her child. ??? I can see it. Maybe that's why he wanted to make sure she knew he was not financially secure when he sent her those messages.
    Cornholio likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

A guy who is not financially in a good place is not a good catch. Contrary to popular opinion, love does not conquer all; it takes money, too.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Did the story of him buying a birdbath that he didn't need fit with the guy we saw? Maybe he's in to yard work and decor, but that did seem like an odd purchase for a young man. And I do not believe that was his house we saw him living in.
    Cornholio likes this.

FORT Fan

I am glad that I am not the only one who still had lingering questions about the whole situation. I get that MTV wants to promote this episode heavily since it's the ONLY episode with a semi-positive ending. I wonder how established this guy thinks he has to be in a relationship. She mentioned that they both dated other people, so it hasn't bothered him in the past. I assumed that the house they filmed belonged to his parents and that he was still living there. Multiple cars were shown in the driveway, it's obvious he didn't live there alone. I still wonder what the catch is...
    Cornholio likes this.

He never explained the phone number being registered to someone else. Also the "trike" deal was never addressed.

Maybe she really was talking with the older married black man the whole time... and Nev & Max tracked down Derek, who's photos & name were used. Then maybe Nev & Max paid the real Derek off to act like it actually was really him she was talking to the whole time! Win-win, money for Derek and a success story for the show. A story like this is good for the show because it keeps things unpredictable. Who would ever guess that someone would avoid meeting in person or video chat for 8 years and then actually turn out to be who they said they were. Something's definitely "fishy" here.

As Scoot says, inconsistencies are not addressed:
    1) How and why the heck would young Derek come up with the trike idea? That is weird. Where I live I have seen only older people with those 3-wheeled bikes.
    2) How would Derek not know his phone number shows up as someone else's name? Many if not most people have caller ID and someone would certainly have told him that little factoid over the 8+ years young Derek supposedly had that phone number.
    3) A birdbath would be something generally only a homeowner would buy and clearly Derek was not a homeowner. If he lived with his parents or rented with a bunch of roomates no way would he buy a birdbath. Too heavy to move and he would not be that personally invested in decorating the yard or attracting birds. Did anyone notice a birdbath outside Derek's house? If there was one, I am very confident Nev would have shown it there.
    4) A guy in love who can't Skype or do facetime to see the girl he's in love with and can't manage to do it over 8 years despite being asked to? Not buying this. In addition to just seeing her w/ don't you think young Derek would have enjoyed some sexy facetime? (Sorry, I've gotta throw that out there.) Obviously there was something major he needed to hide.

Maybe the older black guy transferred the phone number to Derek when contacted by the show because he was relieved his wife & family wouldn't find out what he was up to? If he was completely innocent, would they really show that guy's picture and give his name on national TV with the inference that he is cheating on his wife (emotionally if not physically)? Could he not sue them for causing marital problems or something? Usually they will blur people's faces out when they don't have permission in a situation like this. Ie., they blur out the face of ex-spouses, etc. on Intervention when showing old family photos.

If Derek was paid to act like it was really him talking with the girl the whole time it's win-win for everyone. Except the girl who is deceived, but maybe even she wins as she doesn't look like a complete fool on the show. She could know the truth or not. Just floating this idea out there, let me know if I'm crazy!
    scoot13 and Debb70 like this.

+ Reply to Thread