+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Teen Mom Season 4

FORT Fogey

Re: Teen Mom Season 4

Actually, Amber probably has a better chance of getting the help she needs in jail than out of jail. If she needs addictions counseling, they will provide that, transport her to and from counseling, and often times release from prison is contingent upon successful completion of addictions therapy. The same goes for her mental health and anger issues.

I think the HUGE difference between Amber and Butch is that Amber is still young. She still has room to develop and grow. As of now, I think both Leah and Amber have a right to see each other. I think those visits should of course be supervised, but in the end, Amber has never been verbally or physically abusive directly towards Leah. Of course it's true that by abusing Gary in front of Leah, Amber is harming her, but Amber loves Leah and Leah loves Amber. Leah is not in danger when she is with Amber and if Gary is not present (the visits are/could be supervised by a third party) then Leah doesn't witness the abuse towards Gary.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've always wondered what "successful completion of addictions therapy" really means. I don't think you'll ever know if it was successful until there is a relapse, which there is, more times than not. I think people, in their lives, spend a lot of time waiting/watching for 'the other shoe to drop'. What a drag!

It's like people talking about somebody completing an anger management course. It, often, means nothing at all. Just seems like some words strung together to make other people feel better.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Actually, my mom used to do addictions counseling with inmates. It depends on the program, really. The one she is a part of is very good - there are several stages. There's a stage specifically for people who are just coming off the drugs. Mostly in that stage you discuss the immediate effects of your addiction and sobriety, and maybe talk a little bit about why you became addicted in the first place - what were you using the drug to cope with, etc. Then in the later stage, which is what my mother does, you focus on recognizing the challenges that you will be facing once you're "out" as well as any emotional challenges you may be facing at the time. The goal there is to recognize and prepare for dealing with these difficulties without returning to drugs. A good therapist will not sign a patient's discharge papers without feeling confident that they can operate drug-free in the real world. And some people will relapse. Some won't.

I think these programs aren't perfect but they do mean something.
    redsox girl likes this.

Actually most of the drug counseling has been cut from the prison system because of budget constraints.
    redsox girl likes this.
    There's no place like home!

FORT Fanatic

Bottom line, whatever place Amber was sent to was not what she needed and did nothing for her. Days after leaving she was back to her old self. I just dont have any faith that shes going to change. Anyone who chooses to go to jail for 5 years VS doing outpatient drug treatment really shows no desire to change. I really think Leah is the worst off out of all these kids. I hope its not the case but I feel like she is going to be really messed up when she grows up.
    Debb70 likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    Actually most of the drug counseling has been cut from the prison system because of budget constraints.
    Well okay then Amber specifically might not benefit but those programs DO exist and they ARE helpful.

Of course they do exist and are helpful, just with all the budget cuts throughout the states these are the programs that were cut.
    There's no place like home!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You would think that if they were seeing a WILD success rate that they would be kept.

tar, your mother may be an exceptional counselor, but she may also be the exception to the rule. I could understand if there was a high burnout/frustration rate in her field. All respects to her.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I don't believe that AMber has any right to a role in Leah's life, just because she is the bio mom. IMO, she abandoned Leah, with her conduct and decisions. She chose her course and turned down every opportunity she was given to help herself and recovery. She never put Leah's needs first.

I never saw any real attempt to change by Amber. And with her temper, I don't know what might have gone on off camera. We don't know the extent of Amber's anger and how it might have been manifested. I don't give her the benefit of the doubt. Rarely, is a person so violent and out of control that they cannot exist around anyone, but yet they are completely calm and non-violent with their child. I don't buy it. She is at high risk to harm Leah, if she hasn't already.

There are parents who offered their kids terrible childhoods and eventually, the child escaped, such as Kurt Cobain's daughter. (Courtney Love is her mother. Eventually the daughter had to get a restraining order against her mom.) Then we have Ryan O'Neal and his kids, including Tatum. We know what a parent he was. His kids will never recover from their abuse and they all suffer servere addiction themselves as adults. Their drug use started when they were kids and being raised by a poor role model. Mackenzie Phillips' father John was a huge druggie and actually partied with his young daughter. She has written about the influence of her father.

I'm curious as to how these toxic parents contributed to their child's welfare. I don't see AMber as doing anything more for Leah.
    holly71 likes this.

There is a difference in signing over custody and giving up your parental rights.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I have seen it written both ways. I hope they reveal which Amber does tonight in the finale, if any.

+ Reply to Thread