+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Teen Mom Season 4

FORT Fogey

Re: Teen Mom Season 4

Quote Originally Posted by beesknees View Post
    Driving me TOTALLY NUTS but I want Farrah to take the pacifier away from Sophia and Maci to take the pacifier away from Bentley STAT!
    My mother hated seeing toddlers old enough to talk still wandering around with pacifiers, because she quite rightly worried about what it was going to do their teeth. Plus, at some point, they just need to get past that. At one point, Maci was working at getting Bentley to give it up and then she just stopped. I wonder why. I know it's easier in the moment to give in, but as other people have pointed out, in the long run, it's worse. That's just a function of teaching anything to anyone. If there aren't limits with consequences, people tend not to learn the correct or safest or most efficient way of doing things unless they happen to want to do so, and often they don't. I mean, if elementary age students were told that two plus two can equal whatever they want it to equal, would some of them ever learn to add? If there weren't rules of the road that cause you to be arrested if you violate the, wouldn't some adults drive however they wanted to (I realize some still do, but at least there are likely fewer of them because we do have driving laws).

Okay. I loved at least one part of the show last night! Daniel was so funny. God bless that guy. He held his tongue and just waited to get away from Farrah. Did you see the way he was talking about her to his friend? I really felt for the guy. He seemed really nice, but she just ran right over him. You blew it Farrah. I have zero sympathy for her. Her treatment of Daniel and his parents show that she has no boundaries. She has no idea how to deal with others. I think that's why she has no friends.

I blame a lot of that on her mom. If Farrah had been held to certain standards as a child, she would not be like that now. I usually side with Debra, but I think she did Farrah a disservice by allowing her to grow up with no boundaries. Farrah is convinced it's her way or the highway and her parents let her get away with it. Now that's who she is as a person, it's bringing her much pain. It's next to impossible to change your whole personality at her age.

Maci is such a nit picker. She reeds to attend a parenting class pronto. All that discusion around Bently about adult issues. What a crock. She should know better. Poor kid. Lots of memories of his parents in arguments. Terrible parenting. Shame on you Maci. Does she even know how to act like an adult?

I'm not sure what to say about Tyler and Catelyn. I'm not sure who they think they are fooling. Anyone who has ever attended college knows their story of why they couldn't continue in school right now was pathetic. I'm sure Carly's parents knew that too. That whole fabrication was emabarrassing. Any classes you would be taking in your first year of school would be basic requirements like math, English, Biology, etc. are needed for any major, so they are not wasted, but needed no matter what your major is. And if he was taking a class in some other area, that's okay. He could still use the credit hours or possibly drop it. No need to just lay out for a semester. I will be shocked if they ever really get back into college. I think I know what that whole hat thing with Tyler was about, though it's a spoiler, so I won't post it here yet.

OMG, Amber, what a lovely house you can afford to rent, considering you are a high school drop out, never worked a job and have a criminal record. That guy is just going to let you sign a lease for that beautiful place? Did anyone hear how much the rent was on that place? I would think at least $2,000.00 per month. Maybe that's why Amber was crying so much. lol Most people would have been so happy to afford to move into a house like that, but not Amber. Boo hoo! Gary's picking on her again. I'm so done with her.

After reviewing Debbs post, I can not wait to see this episode! When, oh when though! Ergg

FORT Fogey

Farrah was soooo completely out of line the entire time she was in Texas. I don't know who the couple was she was talking to about having children who hadn't had any yet--I assumed it wasn't Daniel's parents, since they obviously have him as a son--but to just say they weren't going to have any at their age...She knew nothing about the situation. Perhaps they'd tried for years and had a series of miscarriages. Maybe they simply couldn't have children but wanted them. It was so insensitive of her to tell them they were going to be lonely onlies. For that matter, even at "their age," there are plenty of older children looking for adoptive or foster homes. You don't have to give birth to a child to be a parent. And who asks someone his/her age anyway? Isn't that alone supposed to rude (unless it's a child, since kids are usually all to happy to announce their ages).

As for her pushy remarks about what kind of engagement ring she wants and that she wanted to know where their relationship was going...good grief! According to Daniel, they'd been together a month and a half. Even if they went out twice a week, that's all of twelve dates. How desperate is she to land a fiance? He was absolutely right to want to back off from someone who was getting that serious that fast, particularly at their ages.

I agree that Caitlyn and Tyler are getting bad advice or advice too late all the way around. If they both knew what they wanted to do, why didn't they ask first what degrees they'd need before starting college? But even if they weren't sure, and are sure now, they could definitely be taking general education courses for a semester that would be bound to be required by virtually any major--like a first year composition course--while figuring out what they were going to do the next semester. I hated that no one contradicted Caitlyn with regard to her statement that colleges just lie to you to get you to come there. The last thing most colleges (except maybe the for profit kind) want is for students to show up and then leave without a degree. It seriously hurts their rankings. They want students to graduate and get jobs in their fields, so that they can use those statistics to recruit more students. Beyond that, good teachers aren't keen on seeing students fail if they're honestly trying. I think Caitlyn, who keeps saying she was never good in school, might simply be scared of failing. I'm not sure what Tyler's excuse is, since he's already completed a semester of college.

I wish we really knew the true scoop on Tyler and Catelyn's educational status. I think we get some overly inflated information that is based on what they want the case to be and not necessarily what it is. I like them, but wish they would get real about it.

Did you notice the hat Tyler was wearing and how odd he was acting. It was like he was off or something. I think it's upthread about how:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    He got a part in a movie that was filming in New Orleans and he and Catelyn went there to film it. I think that's the real reason they laid off a semester of school.

But for the record, a little on-line research, a few telephone calls and a visit with a counselor at the college and you can narrow down your options of a major and understand what is in store for you. This is something that can be done in a week or less. No need to lay out a semester. That's funny.

When they started to talk about a degree in social work and counseling it seemed they think it's quite simple. There is A LOT involved in becoming a counselor. MANY hours of training and working under someone else. It will take them a good while too. The lady they met with two master's degrees, didn't seem to give them a realistic picture of what they should expect.

They don't seem to understand how you need to set out your courseload with so many classes per semester, so you can graduate in 4 years and what internships might be required. They don't seem to understand that they will have to have things like math, biology, english, history, and even foreign language. It's almost like they think they will sign up for a class called "Counselor for Adoption Agency" or "Counselor for Troubled Youth, and you take the class and get a degree in it and then go get that job. That's how they appear to me.
    Last edited by Debb70; 08-15-2012 at 11:29 AM.

I have to say at a certain point last night when Tyler said something about getting Caitlyn enrolled, her reaction rang a bell in me- she is afraid of failure. I could totally relate! Not with the college thing, after I graduated I had a hard time finding a job and after a while it made me really think I was so terrible Im not gonna get a job and I just wanted to wallow. How she reacted reminded me of how I would react to my mom asking if Id found a job yet. I'd call it a funk, hopefully she will get out of it.

I missed parts of the show...last I saw was Farrah getting her boy out on the paddle boat and talking about engagement so he couldnt run away...when I turned back they were showing her sitting at the airport? with her bag...did she go home alone? She needs a chill pill.

I dont think Maci is wonderful, but it amazes me how Ryan thinks he can get custody when he doesnt have a job and isnt even going to school...and living with his parents. I know each case is different but I would see a judge giving custody to Maci before Ryan, she is trying to make a living and not clinging to her parents like he seems to be.

I dont even want to watch Amber and Gary anymore, I feel for that beautiful little girl.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

Judges vary in their policy on how they decide custody of young children. I'm not familiar with the area they live in, but in NC, most of the time, unless you are really a danger to the child or unfit, drinking, violence, etc. they often will give almost 50/50, even if you are a jerk, immature, and are spoiled by your parents. This is if you live in the same county. I think that is somewhat what Ryan's attorney told him when he went for a consult. I'm not sure if Maci has gotten sound legal advice. I doubt it, since if she did, he would have given her list of things to NOT DO, like dissing the baby's daddy in front of him. BAD and a judge would not be amused. Ryan's parents are bad about that too. Shame on them.

In response to the question upthread about Farrah. Farrah kept talking about getting engaged, wanting a ring, dress, and telling him the schedule she had to have, even though as Daniel pointed out, they had only been dating for 2 months. Marriage that early with people that young is crazy talk. His body language in the paddle boat told how he felt. Later that evening they attend a party at one of his friend's house. It appeared that Daniel ignored her. Good. She deserved it. Did you hear the horrific things she said to Daniel's step mom about being too old and lonely since she was 50 and too old for kids? RUDE.

So Farrah leaves the party alone, expecting Daniel to leave his friends and join her. He doesn't and doesn't come back to the hotel all night and doesn't pick up his phone. Farrah calls her mom the next morning and says she's not speaking to Daniel because he's acting like an idiot!!!!!

FORT Fogey

I wonder if part of the college issue with Caitlyn and Tyler is that they don't really know enough people who have gone to college to understand how it works. I don't think any of their parents did, unless Tyler's mom did. On top of that, they made big promises to themselves and Carly about wanting her and themselves to have a better life. If they screw up college, they may think they're failing themselves and her and fulfilling the expectations of anyone who felt they wouldn't make it. That's a lot of pressure, especially if you don't have a history of succeeding in school in the first place.

If I remember correctly, there was a male teacher/counselor at their old high school whom they both seemed to respect and who seemed to care that they succeeded. Maybe they should call on him for some advice. Or their adoption counselor, who seemed very encouraging and would know what all was involved in getting the appropriate degree, at least for Caitlyn, because she's doing exactly what Caitlyn would like to do. They've always been pretty good about finding help for themselves before, and suddenly they seem incapable of it. I think they're just really afraid and don't want to admit it.

Yeah, good point Tilden. They could have picked up the phone and called their adoption counselor and asked her about her education background, where she went to school, course work, internship, and if that degree has served her well. What would she do different, if going back to school now? Invaluable information they could get so simply......it makes you wonder.....

Hey, I just googled and found this great link for information. I wish I could send it to Catelyn.

How to Become an Adoption Counselor | eHow.com

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Yeah, good point Tilden. They could have picked up the phone and called their adoption counselor and asked her about her education background, where she went to school, course work, internship, and if that degree has served her well. What would she do different, if going back to school now? Invaluable information they could get so simply......it makes you wonder.....

Hey, I just googled and found this great link for information. I wish I could send it to Catelyn.

How to Become an Adoption Counselor | eHow.com

Not to mention that their adoption counselor might have been able to put Caitlyn in touch with programs at local colleges that would be appropriate for her. It's quite possible she knows people in those programs if she's been an adoption counselor in the area for some time, because she, say, might have been asked to take on an intern from their program. Or she might have attended conferences/workshops with them. It never hurts to have someone a program's faculty knows and likes introduce you, especially if your grades aren't the greatest (which Caitlyn's apparently aren't) and/or the program is at all competitive.
    Debb70 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread