+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: The Challenge: Season 23

Re: The Challenge: Season 23

Quote Originally Posted by pretlitdev View Post
    A few years ago on a Challenge, Tonya passed out from drinking too much. She says later she found out Kenny and Evan molested her with a toothbrush and the cameras caught it all. From what I understand, MTV tried to argue that they couldn't be held responsible because A) She signed a waiver absolving them of ay wrongdoing for, well, anything, and B) She brought it on herself for drinking excessively (more than other cast members), being overly aggressive and flirtatious, and flashing cast and producers. She also sued MTV for wrongful termination because she was removed from that challenge, she said for trying to get the tapes of her rape, they said because she struck another cast member.
    Well, Kenny and Evan should never have done it and to do it with the cameras rolling is incredibly stupid. The question is are they really that stupid? On the other hand Tonya was stupid for drinking so much that she passed out and put herself in a vulnerable position in a houseful of jerks. She knowing put herself in harms way. I am not putting all the blame on Tonya. I think all are equally to blame. That includes, Tonya, Evan, Kenny and the producers especially if they tried to hide the tapes.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fan

Well, they settled, so I'd say MTV paid for SOMETHING. I can see Tonya being the type of person to be more interested in getting the money than in bringing someone to justice, personally, I would have rather had the people who did that to me behind bars. Tonya was always kind of an idiot, always did drink way too much and act incredibly inappropriately, but if any place in the world was safe from rape while you did that, you'd think it would be a house with 20+ people and cameras rolling all the time.

I hope at least this maybe changes cast contracts. I remember seeing years ago that the Real World contract had a clause that said MTV wasn't responsible for any assault or rape and thinking it was a joke. This is the kind of thing-along with years and years ago when Ruthie got being the wheel after drinking so heavily- that producers should definitely step in and intervene, fourth wall be damned.

'Real World' Star Settles With MTV Over Toothbrush Rape Claims - Business Insider

'Real World' Star Settles With MTV Over Rape Claims
    Aly Weisman | Oct. 25, 2012, 11:48 PM | 6,070 | 6

A year ago, Tonya Cooley filed a lawsuit against MTV claiming she was sexually abused by her cast mates during the Thailand season of "The Real World/Road World Challenge: The Ruins."

Cooley, who originally appeared on "Real World: Chicago" in 2002, alleged that two other contestants raped her with a toothbrush, and says she was a victim of repeated acts of sexual abuse throughout production.

But MTV didn't buy Cooley's claims, and the network countered that Cooley failed to take advantage of its "open-door policy with complaint procedures."

MTV, along with parent company Viacom and production company Bunim-Murray, drove home their point by stating, according to Viacom's papers:

"In addition to failing to avail herself of VMN's policies and complaint procedures, Plaintiff failed to avoid the injuries of which she complains. For example, while she was a contestant on The Ruins, Plaintiff was frequently intoxicated (to an extent far greater than other contestants), rowdy, combative, flirtatious and on multiple occasions intentionally exposed her bare breasts and genitalia to other contestants."

Cooley, who went on to pose for Playboy and appeared in an episode of the Cinemax adult series "The Erotic Traveler," insisted that her antics were the result of producers supplying contestants with unlimited alcoholic beverages, further encouraging scandalous behavior.

And now, a year after Cooley initially filed the complaint, the reality TV contestent and Viacom/Bunim Murray Productions "have informed the judge that the dispute has been resolved and have asked for a stay for time to effectuate the resolution," according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Details of the settlement have not been made public.

Read more: 'Real World' Star Settles With MTV Over Toothbrush Rape Claims - Business Insider

Thanks to all of you for that information.

Tonya was always drinking too much and, imo, asking for trouble. She has more issues than any other participant on these shows....which speaks volumes, I think. That said, nobody deserves to be raped....if it really happened. Evan and Kenny were always egging her on but that doesn't mean they're rapist. Two sides to this story!

All three of them need professional guidance and REAL JOBS. Maybe they'll grow up.
    pretlitdev likes this.

OMG, what a challenge. Congratulations Brooklyn for winning.

Zack and Frank how dare you treat anyone they way you both did Sam. Frank is such a two faced liar and sneak he is just like Cody on BBC America's Chef Race. And the preview shows even more disgusting behavior. I am surprised that Sam and Zack got it together to win in the arena I honestly didn't think they would. I do hope that this discord breaks up their team and alliance. Hopefully either Brooklyn or Las Vegas can pull it together for next week.
    momrek06 likes this.

FORT Fan

You know, as smart as Sarah is, she was very short sighted here. I know San Diego staying would probably mean a higher chance of Brooklyn having to go into the arena again and you don't like them personally, but at this point you need to be at least considering the end game. Who would you rather go up against in the final challenge? A physically strong and mentally together duo of Zack or Frank and Ashley? Or a foursome that can't go three feet without screaming at each other and an out of shape Sam? Every time I think someone in these challenges shows a tiny bit of smarts (and Sarah is clearly the brilliant one among this group-can't believe she was the only one who came up with picking the right pieces and assembling them at the second stage instead of running up and down that hill over and over again) they do something moronic. Alliances or not, I'd have targeted either Vegas or Cancun, both of whom also still have four people but who have four mentally together and inshape members.

Felt bad for the two person teams. I don't like this season because the challenges are so weighted toward four person teams. Even having to drag dead weights this week was easier than running up that hill extra times.

I also felt so bad for Sam. She's not where she should be physically for a challenge, but that was just nasty. It would have been a lot more productive for Zack and Frank to say "Let's stop for a minute, let you catch your breath, and go on." It blows my mind that they don't realize that-along with being horrible human beings-they're wasting more time screaming insults at her than they would waste by giving her a short break.

Quote Originally Posted by pretlitdev View Post
    You know, as smart as Sarah is, she was very short sighted here. I know San Diego staying would probably mean a higher chance of Brooklyn having to go into the arena again and you don't like them personally, but at this point you need to be at least considering the end game. Who would you rather go up against in the final challenge? A physically strong and mentally together duo of Zack or Frank and Ashley? Or a foursome that can't go three feet without screaming at each other and an out of shape Sam? Every time I think someone in these challenges shows a tiny bit of smarts (and Sarah is clearly the brilliant one among this group-can't believe she was the only one who came up with picking the right pieces and assembling them at the second stage instead of running up and down that hill over and over again) they do something moronic. Alliances or not, I'd have targeted either Vegas or Cancun, both of whom also still have four people but who have four mentally together and inshape members.

Felt bad for the two person teams. I don't like this season because the challenges are so weighted toward four person teams. Even having to drag dead weights this week was easier than running up that hill extra times.

I also felt so bad for Sam. She's not where she should be physically for a challenge, but that was just nasty. It would have been a lot more productive for Zack and Frank to say "Let's stop for a minute, let you catch your breath, and go on." It blows my mind that they don't realize that-along with being horrible human beings-they're wasting more time screaming insults at her than they would waste by giving her a short break.
    Brooklyn has to break up the alliance otherwise San Diego will just keep sending them into the Arena upping their chances of going home. It had to be done. In fact if Las Vegas wins I am sure they will do the same thing.

What I don't understand is why Zack or Frank (particularly Zack) didn't just pick Sam up and carry her while the other guy carried two logs....horrible, yes, but at least they would still be moving. If little Derrick could carry Jasmine then surely Zack could have handled Sam at least once....

FORT Fan

I heard one person say at one point that they could each only take one log at a time. Now whether that was an actual rule or just an assessment of that team's ability to carry more than one log, I don't know, but I would think it would be hard to carry two logs at a time. They weren't ideal shapes to be carried, and they seemed really heavy. Then the person carrying Sam would have had to carry both her and her log-given some of the inclines, I would think that wouldn't be possible. By the time Derrick was carrying Jasmine, they didn't have to have every person carrying a log, and Jasmine is TINY anyway.

FORT Fan

I was glad at first that there were some newer people in this challenge, instead of the same repetitive group. Though, I just don't think this season is that exciting anymore. If Frank would go home soon, would there really be any drama left in the house that could develop? I'm not saying I want to see a whole lot of confrontation, though it can make things interesting. CJ is a pretty good competitor, but he's off in la la land. Alton is another strong challenger, but he was about ready to fall apart a couple episodes back. I think they need some Johnny Bananas back on the next challenge.

+ Reply to Thread