+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Tonya suing BMP, Kenny, Evan and others

FORT Fanatic

Tonya suing BMP, Kenny, Evan and others

Tonya Cooley 'Real World' Cast Member Sues: 'I Was Raped with a Toothbrush' | TMZ.com
    A cast member on MTV's "The Real World/Road Rules Challenge: The Ruins" claims male members acted like animals during production, in one case raping her with a toothbrush ... this according to a new lawsuit obtained by TMZ.

Tonya Cooley filed the suit against MTV, Bunim/Murray Productions, Kenneth Santucci, Evan Starkman and others ... claiming the two guys "took another male participant's toothbrush and rubbed the toothbrush around plaintiff's genitals, including rubbing her labia and inserting the toothbrush into plaintiff's vagina."

Cooley says it all happened while she was passed out cold ... and cameras were rolling

Cooley says producers not only knew about the rape, they even replaced the toothbrush, but never told her what happened.

The suit also claims female cast members were stripped of their bathing suits and that male cast members were encouraged by producers to "inappropriately touch female cast members' bodies, including in intimate areas."

Cooley alleges she and other cast members reported incidents of sexual abuse, but show honchos turned a blind eye.

Cooley claims she was later booted from the show after slapping a cast member. She says nothing happened to the men who allegedly raped her.

Cooley is suing for unspecified damages. Calls to MTV have not been returned.

We made several calls to Bunim/Murray for comment, but each time we called ... the receptionist hung up on us.
    I find it a little hard to believe that production would cover something like this up when there are so many witnesses. Why would production be forcing the guys to do stuff like that when they dont even show it on the show? The only thing that I would believe in this story is Toyna was passed out drunk and the mailes acted like animals.

Re: Tonya suing BMP, Kenny, Evan and others

On this season they were always doing horrible things to Tonya when she was drunk. Do I think they straight up raped her......no. Do I think they probably DID do something with a toothbrush that violated her.......yep. I'm interested to see if this means the Challenges will be over. At the very least I'm guessing I won't have to see Kenny or Evan on my screens any longer so that's a plus.

FORT Fogey

Depending on what they did with that toothbrush, yes, it might qualify as rape. In order for the charges to stick, whatever they did will, of course, have to meet the legal definition of rape. If not, though there may be lesser charges instead, it's still illegal and certainly inappropriate behavior to do anything like what Tonya's describing to a person who is passed out and unable to give consent. And yeah, Tonya shouldn't keep getting that drunk either, but that's besides the point, because getting sloppy, passed out drunk isn't actually illegal, just stupid. If someone behaved in a sexually inappropriate way with her while she was unable to consent, even if it's because she was drunk, that is illegal.

If there's actually available tape of this and the producers were aware of it, it's going to be pretty hard to defend what happened.

By now, wouldn't all of that supposed footage have been destroyed though? It may have happened but I highly doubt there is any evidence left. Personally I think it is irresponsible on many levels for production to supply them with as much alcohol as they do. I've always felt that way........but they want drama, sex, anger.......alcohol will do that.
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by buglover View Post
    By now, wouldn't all of that supposed footage have been destroyed though? It may have happened but I highly doubt there is any evidence left. Personally I think it is irresponsible on many levels for production to supply them with as much alcohol as they do. I've always felt that way........but they want drama, sex, anger.......alcohol will do that.
    That's why I said if there's actual footage--it depends on whether anyone saved it or not. However, according to the reports I read, Tonya found out about the whole thing because others who witnessed it told her about it. If they're willing to testify, it's not just her word against Kenny and Evan's. According to Tonya, she and other female cast members also went to the producers to complain about the sexist behavior of some of the male contestants and got nowhere with their complaints. If that's true, and she can again get others to testify to that fact, that also strengthens her case against the producers. I should think they'd have to be able to prove that they at least bothered to have some kind of investigation if complaints were raised or they could be in real trouble.

I agree that the show--in fact, the whole Real World franchise--has gotten increasingly lax about alcohol and other dangerous behaviors over the years. Really, this season Frank should have been removed once it became very apparent that he has serious alcohol/anger issues. He's shoved a roommate repeatedly while drunk, frightened his cast mates (especially his female cast mates), and destroyed house property. I don't see how seeing a therapist while still on the show is all that helpful. He needs to be concentrating on his energies on his problems. Being on a show where there's constantly alcohol and angst has to dilute his ability to concentrate on those very problems. So far, they've been very lucky, but sooner or later their luck is going to run out. I feel the same way about the challenges, where the tasks seem to be getting more and more grandiose and dangerous. Sooner or later, someone who gets hauled away in an ambulance isn't going to be as lucky as Mike was last season.

Tonya, drunk, passed out, stuff was done to her. Old news. I really hate to say this because rape is such an awful crime, but Tonya puts herself in these horrible situations. Getting drunk and passing out with the cast of these challenges is an incredibly stupid thing to do. On the other hand while Kenny, Evan and are known to play vicious practical jokes on each other they are more known for their entertainment value if nothing else and seem to have a very good idea what they can and cannot do. They are not that stupid to kill their careers this way.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Legally, it matters not at all whether Tonya "puts herself in these horrible situations" or not. If what she says is true, and she can corroborate it, Kenny, Evan, and the show are all at fault. As far as having a very good idea of what they can and cannot do, that may have been blurred by their own consumption of alcohol and/or an increasing sense that they can keep pushing the boundaries and get away with it, as they've gotten increasingly full of themselves each season and they keep getting asked back for challenge after challenge. Unfortunately, a lot of people can and do overlook what's right or wrong if they think they won't get caught or face any penalties for their actions.

Tonya may not have a case. I have no idea. But no matter how drunk she got, if what she says is true, there's no excuse for Kenny or Evan or anyone else to do what they did. I'd also say that the show is at fault for continually casting people they can clearly see have issues with alcohol and then providing a ton of the stuff. They're setting up the distinct possibility that someone could get seriously hurt, and they have to know that. It's a miracle that they haven't had more problems with violence, accidental injuries (e.g. people falling down a staircase), sexually inappropriate behavior, or alcohol poisoning than they already have. If nothing else, maybe this case will make them rethink that possibility and cut back on the seemingly unlimited flow of alcohol now available on the challenges and re-clarify exactly what kind of behaviors will result in an automatic ouster from the show and/or legal action.

FORT Fogey

Okay, hold on. We're all assuming any of this even happened. I'm not. I don't think it did. Yes we saw lots of people do ridiculous things to Tonya when we she was drunk. We also saw Tonya do lots of ridiculous things when she was drunk. I have only one question. If she was passed out drunk when this happened, and she claims no one told her, how does she know to file a lawsuit?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain View Post
    Okay, hold on. We're all assuming any of this even happened. I'm not. I don't think it did. Yes we saw lots of people do ridiculous things to Tonya when we she was drunk. We also saw Tonya do lots of ridiculous things when she was drunk. I have only one question. If she was passed out drunk when this happened, and she claims no one told her, how does she know to file a lawsuit?
    Actually, we're not all assuming any of this happened. I specifically said I had no idea whether it did or not. I've also read reports where she said others told her later, not immediately afterwards, so she hasn't claimed no one told her. She's said no one, including anyone involved with production, told her at the time. There's also allegedly tape of what happened, though, again, that's allegedly. I don't know that it exists. It's merely said to exist--or to have existed at one time. If there is tape and/or corroborating witnesses, then she has a case. If she has neither of those things, then she doesn't. My major objection is to the idea that just because Tonya has behaved irresponsibly in the past that it's somehow her fault if this did happen to her or that Kenny and Evan should automatically be believed over her, especially since they've also behaved irresponsibly and immaturely in the past too.

If it all ends up boiling down to a he said/she said situation, then we'll probably never know what exactly happened, but she won't have a legal case. I still think, however, that it would be good if MTV thought things over in the light of a potential lawsuit and started to pull back a bit on pushing the booze etc. I don't think they'd ever prevent the cast from drinking, but they could ease up on making it so simple for them to have an unlimited supply of alcohol, which I assume the show must supply, just as they supply the food, since we never see them grocery shopping. I know we sometimes see them go out to a bar, but a lot of the drinking takes place at the house. At this point, it's just sheer dumb luck that they haven't ended up with someone getting seriously ill or hurt, if not while drinking, then while trying to do a dangerous challenge while still hungover. Honestly, I think they sometimes go too far with the actual challenges too. They can still be fun, interesting, challenging etc. without being dangerous. It's like every other one involves jumping off something high or plunging into an ocean or both. Again, it's not like those kind of challenges couldn't be involved, but switch them up a bit more, so different people have chances to excel in different ways. I kind of liked the one this last season where they had to work together to crush the car and drive the heavy machinery to the finish. You didn't necessarily have to be strong to do it, but you did have to figure out quickly how best to work together--it was more of a strategy challenge.

FORT Fogey

MTV has went so far down the toilet it is sad. I cannot believe anyone would watch Jersey Shore. That show is nothing but violence, sex, fighting, and drinking. I have no way of knowing if this stuff Tonya is claiming happened, but even the stuff they do show with these certain people have been inappropriate. I am sick of drunken angry idiots on these shows.

I think that MTV should get back to Road Rules and Real World and focus on the differences between the castmates, and have alcohol and sex and fighting stop being the focus. I remember the older episodes being so much better, and I loved the earlier Road Rules.

With the head scratching success of Jersey Shore though, I do not see any of this nonsense ending.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast