+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Tonya suing BMP, Kenny, Evan and others

FORT Fogey

Re: Tonya suing BMP, Kenny, Evan and others

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton View Post
    MTV has went so far down the toilet it is sad. I cannot believe anyone would watch Jersey Shore. That show is nothing but violence, sex, fighting, and drinking. I have no way of knowing if this stuff Tonya is claiming happened, but even the stuff they do show with these certain people have been inappropriate. I am sick of drunken angry idiots on these shows.

I think that MTV should get back to Road Rules and Real World and focus on the differences between the castmates, and have alcohol and sex and fighting stop being the focus. I remember the older episodes being so much better, and I loved the earlier Road Rules.

With the head scratching success of Jersey Shore though, I do not see any of this nonsense ending.
    I loved Road Rules: Semester at Sea--you know, the one where they actually had to learn things. I don't like the challenges as much, because whenever they're not actually competing, they're just fighting, drinking, or having sex. After a while, every single season starts looking exactly the same, no matter where they locate it, except that the behavior does tend to get more and more inappropriate. If this didn't actually happen, MTV is just lucky something similar to it hasn't happened before.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

FORT Fogey

More details are coming out about the lawsuit. Apparently, Tonya did file a complaint with California Fair Housing and Labor Practices back in 2010, so this isn't the first time she's come forward, and she did try to avoid going the lawsuit route. She may also be going the civil lawsuit route, because it's easier to prove--you only have to have a preponderance of evidence as opposed to proving your case beyond a reasonable doubt. Obviously that's not news to anyone who watched the O.J. Simpson case evolve from a criminal to a civil lawsuit.

As a result of this case, the wording of MTV contracts is being made public, and that may be the one big benefit of this case, regardless of how it turns out. Evidently, MTV doesn't consider the young people it casts on Real World, the Challenges etc. as "talent" or "employees," which gives them wiggle room in terms of how they treat them, and part of the release they sign actually indicates that they run the risk of sexual harassment and/or rape as a condition of being on these shows. Now, it is possible for men to be the victims of those crimes, but women are far more often the victims. Signing such a release also does not really keep MTV from liability if someone is the victim of these crimes (according to the article I read anyway). So, whether Tonya has a case or not, maybe others will benefit from this mess in the long run if MTV has to change its contracts.

they aren't going to air a rape as it would prove their guilt. For years the team of Bunim and Murray have been criticized for their manipulation of the cast by intentionally creating tense and dangerous situations. This included taking aside various particiapnts and planting a bug in their ears that they were being talked about by other particiapnts, true or not. Suggesting participants `help' create drama or change the trajectory of a story line by targeting other participants, providing access to copious amounts of free booze while not providoing adequate amounts of food and non-alchoholic beverages. I believe during the first San Diego season there was a party in which a girl was trapped in the bathroom and assualted by other party participants. none involved were part of the cast. Only after the girl went to the police did MTV turn over evidence.
    The boys chosen for this show are mostly aggressive with all kinds of issues( including the ability to drink large amounts of booze) and the girls come in with their own psychological problems( and like the boys they are not averse to getting drunk as often aqs possible) People already screwed up will do anything, including putting themselves in dangerous situations, in order to chase the fame high.
    These kids end up ruining their lives by drinking to the point of impaired judgement or blacking out. Both genders. If it did happen it's just a reflection of many young adults as a whole.
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

I was very happy that they kicked Vinny off of Exes for what he did. Makes me think MTV/BMP is really taking Tonya's lawsuit seriously and will no longer tolerate harrasment of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Medallion View Post
    I was very happy that they kicked Vinny off of Exes for what he did. Makes me think MTV/BMP is really taking Tonya's lawsuit seriously and will no longer tolerate harrasment of any kind.
    That's exactly what I was thinking.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Looks like the lawsuit has been settled. Pretty good article.

MTV Settles Rape Lawsuit With Real World Alum After Implying She Asked for It

I did like that the article mentioned that Tonya did try to settle the dispute without suing but the MTV lawyers dragged it out so long that she ended up filing the lawsuit the day before the statue of limitations was up.
    redsox girl likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I'm glad Tonya did what she did so that all of these things were brought to light. People don't want to believe that a reality tv program would go so far as to stand by and witness someone being violated in that manner but these kids who sign up for these things need to know what they are signing up for.

I found it even more disgusting what happened with the RW San Diego cast member. I had never heard that story before, and to find out that production went so far as to not cooperate with the police is disturbing.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12