+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Real World: San Diego 2

FORT Fogey

Re: Real World: San Diego 2

I saw very little of this season, but what would have bothered me most about Frank was his behavior early in the season, when he was getting drunk and going on destructive rages and physically threatening and frightening roommates. I know he went to anger management, but I wasn't interested enough in the season to see how that worked out for him. But the Frank in the early episodes is not someone I would have wanted to live with and his sexual orientation had nothing to do with it. I just don't want to live with someone who's obviously got a problem with alcohol and is liable to hurt me or someone else or destroy our living quarters while drunk.

As was pointed out, most people got along with Sam, because she was a more reasonable human being with who to live than Frank was. She may have gotten angry from time to time, as do most people, but not without provocation, and she wasn't ripping the house apart when upset or making anyone fearful of what she might do next.

I started watching the "Stuff they should have shown" episode earlier today. I LITERALLY had to make a physical attempt to not vomit when they were talking about Frank drinking the grape juice that a couple of people had spit loogies (sp?) into. Even thinking about it again makes my stomach turn!!

FORT Fanatic
    What the hell is wrong with these people? They are so upset because they didn't get attention from Zack and Ashley. For whatever reason they all come across like whiney jealous babies. Since when was this show about reveling your life? Just because they're not attention whores like frank who nweds people to know his life story for sympathy and attention doesn't mean they shouldn't be on the show.

This whole cast shouldn't have been on. Period.

FORT Fogey

I think it's extremely unrealistic for people to go on a show like the RW and not anticipate the possibility that people just aren't going to get along. I didn't particularly care for Jake and Ashley (actually I didn't especially like anyone in the cast, though I found Sam to be the most tolerable) either, but I thought it was a bit strange that they kept being blamed for not "sharing" more of themselves. Some people are more private by nature, and the more uncomfortable they get, the more likely they are to withdraw further. Other people are more extroverted and/or react to discomfort by getting in other people's faces about it or having some sort of obvious emotional release. Both ways of reacting have their good and bad points. It might have been healthier for Frank to get things off his chest, but he can also make others just as uncomfortable with his bluntness as Zach can with his refusal to get involved. Zach might have avoided getting into huge, messy confrontations by withdrawing from situations or deciding they didn't matter much in the long term (and truthfully, very few things that happen on a RW season probably will be important in the long term) but he also made his roommates feel as if he didn't want to get to know them.

Zach and Ashley took a lot of heat for not expecting to be pushed out of their comfort zones, and really, they should have anticipated that. But similarly, the rest of the cast should have expected that not everyone might be able to predict just how uneasy they'd be at being pushed out of their comfort zones until it happened and that the cast, as a whole, might not get along. Good grief, there are plenty of situations in real life where people go into it assuming that it will be a workable, even productive situation for a huge variety of reasons, it turns out not to be. Deal with it.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Zach and Ashley took a lot of heat for not expecting to be pushed out of their comfort zones, and really, they should have anticipated that. But similarly, the rest of the cast should have expected that not everyone might be able to predict just how uneasy they'd be at being pushed out of their comfort zones until it happened and that the cast, as a whole, might not get along. Good grief, there are plenty of situations in real life where people go into it assuming that it will be a workable, even productive situation for a huge variety of reasons, it turns out not to be. Deal with it.
    Actually, Zach and Ashley DID move out of their comfort zone, and were much more social with Frank and tolerant of Frank during the time that Frank was involved in a loving, monogamous relationship with Michael. It was only when Frank cheated on Michael and again began acting like a ho, that both Zach and Ashley were totally disgusted with him and basically DONE. So, Frank really has no one to blame but himself.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    Actually, Zach and Ashley DID move out of their comfort zone, and were much more social with Frank and tolerant of Frank during the time that Frank was involved in a loving, monogamous relationship with Michael. It was only when Frank cheated on Michael and again began acting like a ho, that both Zach and Ashley were totally disgusted with him and basically DONE. So, Frank really has no one to blame but himself.
    As I said, I didn't see the whole season, and I missed that. If Zach and Ashley objected to cheating, they can't really be faulted for that.

I still think, however, that it's a bit unreasonable to assume that any cast must end up getting along, because in real life situations, people don't always get along, and when they don't, it isn't even necessarily anyone's particular fault. Sometimes people just can't find enough common ground to become close. They can be decent and civil with one another, but they're just not cut out to be best friends, much less "family." I would think it might also be trying to feel as if one constantly had to do everything in a group of six or seven. Most people would like a little time on their own now and again. I'm often surprised when a big deal is made of one or two people in a RW cast preferring to stay home rather than go out when the rest of the group wants to party. It's possible it's nothing more than that someone is tired that night or just doesn't feel like going out and would rather hang out at home one evening. Considering the houses they get to live in, who wouldn't occasionally want to take advantage of hanging out at home where there are so many cool amenities?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011