+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: I Used To Be Fat

Re: I Used To Be Fat

Oh, Ary, Lindsey's trainer had to leave the show for personal reasons and had her friend Yusuf take over as Lindsey's trainer for the remaining time.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Oct 25, 2011

Episode 3 - Lindsey 18, Long Beach High School, New York State. Janine - mom. Larry - dad (also major douche bag). Diabetes on both sides of family. Dad has it and ignored it until one kidney shut down and then another.

Status: parents divorced when she was 4, mom turned to food. Father is major unreliable, causes lots of stress and drama.

Current: Is a high school cheerleader. About to graduate and wants to lose a 100lbs. Is going to Old Dominion University in Virginia to study Elementary Education. Wants to be a college cheerleader but can't at her current weight.

Trainer: Ary

Days: 79 days

Weight: 213.6 lbs Height: 5' 1.5" Ary says she should be around 120lbs. That is still 93.6lbs in 79 days - which is just over 11 weeks.

Weight Ins:

Day 79 - 213.6lbs
    Day 66 - 197.4lbs - 2 weeks since last weight in: 16.2lbs lost
    Day 59 - 184.6lbs - 1 week since last weight in: 12.8lbs lost
    Day 39 - 184.4lbs - 3 weeks since last weight in: basically 0 weight lost. Dad left her in Virginia. Major blowup. Major stressor, totally messes up weight loss. Goal was to be at 167.0lbs
    Day 21 - 182.0lbs - got new trainer, Yusuf (lost 2.4 lbs since last weight in)
    Day 00 - 168.2lbs - 3 weeks since last weight in: 14lbs

Total: lost 16.2 + 12.8 + 2.4 + 14 = 45.4lbs

So what happened, Lindsey got totally derailed for 38 days. Well, her Dad took her to Old Dominion for a 3 day Orientation and they had an argument and he left her in Virginia and drove himself home to New York. He calls, Janine, Lindsey's mom and tells her what he did. Janine had to arrange for bus fare/ticket so Lindsey could come home by herself. That's 363 miles or a 7 plus hour car drive so more like 10 to 12 hours by bus. Dad said Lindsey was not spending enough time with him. Also at her high school graduation Larry (dad) left early and then called her and told her he would not be attending her graduation dinner.

Timeline: Day 50 going to Orientation. Day 45 Janine gets the I left the kid phone call sometime later was graduation and the graduation dinner. The Ary left and Lindsey gets a new trainer. Lots and lots of drama in a 30 day period but no weight lost. Day 6 Lindsey talks to Dad and while he says he is proud of her for losing the weight and having all that discipline he feels that she has changed. Says he is not 100% wrong for leaving her in Virginia. Says he was not at her graduation because of the argument in Virginia. Says he is not worried about his family, that he is worried about himself. Lindsey leaves. Right after her last weight in she packs and goes to college. 3 months later she is visiting back home and has lost 10 more pounds (for a total of 55lbs) and her face is looking so hot.

I liked this episode because Lindsey had a wonderful personality and it really came through the camera. You could feel her as a person unlike the previous 2 episodes. I also like that when she was on the program Lyndsey's body really responded well and I think if not for the big blowup we would have seen a 60 to 70 lb weight loss. I also like that instead of the giantesses IUTBF has been casting they casted a normal height person. This episode is also a good example how stress can really mess up your weight loss. Also liked how we saw new trainers. Really liked Ary and want to see more of her. Luv'd the scene where Janine, Lindsey and Ary were all on the spin bikes. It was like watching Papa Bear, Moma Bear and Baby Bear. Janine was a great example of what would happen to Lindsey if she did not keep her weight under control.

Nov 1, 2011

Episode 4 - Latrice 18 - just graduated from high school.

Goals:
    1. lose a 100lbs
    2. get along better with her mother
    3. wants to perform her poetry in public

Loves to write poetry and read. Plans to be an English Lit major and teach 11th grade English. Wants to be happy but doesn't remember the last time she was. Mother, Laquita, was very young when she had Latrice and her aunt offered to raise Latrice. So, Latrice was raised by her great aunt and calls her "mama Cheryl". Mama Cheryl says that Latrice has a problem with food. First time Latrice was called fat was in kindergarten and it hurt, she learned to laugh it off. She says to know her is to love her. Ugh, hate to say it but I feel a very prickly shell. Very boundaries orientated.

Trainer: Devin Johnson - training 4 yrs - nicknamed by Latrice: Coach Killer

Latrice tells him she wants to lose 100lbs and be able to run 4 miles with her mom as her mom runs that every day. Yes, her mom is thin. Latrice weights in at 263 and wants to get down to 160.

Days: 105

Weight: 263.6 lbs

Goal: 160.0 lbs

Devin gives her a food plan consisting of 5 to 6 small meals a day the main meals consisting of 1 protein, 1 starch and 1 fruit/veggie, snacks are 2 fruits/veggies. Meals every 2-3 hours. Use wwww.caloriecount.com. I just luv the pause button.

First temper tantrum during the first workout, Latrice decides she has had enough and walks away.

While training Devin wants to find out how Latrice got to where she is. He asks about her mom. She shuts down. Several days later in a video diary confessional She says this show is not about her mom but about her (Latrice) transformation.

Second weight in: which is two weeks later Latrice loses only 2.2lbs and Mama Cheryl yells at her saying she is cheating on her food. Latrice walks out of the house and we see her going to a vending machine and snacking. Then all we see is Latrice and Devin working out, Latrice not working out, cheating on her diary and basically self sabotaging herself.

Day 65: Devin suggests that Latrice see a therapist and Latrice agrees. Yes, they talk about her mom and how she wants to live with her but still lives with mama Cheryl and how she wonders why she isn't good enough to live with her mom, and she doesn't trust people because they leave.

Reads at a poetry slam and meets some new people and is told about a program called "Brave New Voices".

Day 55: Latrice recommits to program and writes a contract with Devin.

Day 37: 3rd weight in 7 weeks since the last one.

Does complete a 4 mile run with mom.

Day 0: final weight in.

Stats:

Day 105: weight: 263.6 lbs
    Day 90: weight: 261.4 lbs - lost 2.2 lbs - 2 weeks since last weight in
    Day 37: weight: 244.0 lbs - lost 17.4 lbs - 7 weeks since last weight in
    Day 0: weight: 226.2 lbs - lost 17.8 lbs - 5 weeks since last weight in

total weight lost: 2.2 + 17.4 + 17.8 = 37.4 lbs

2 months later kept up food plan, has kept up workouts and maintained weight.

Auditioned for Brave New Voices and was accepted as a trainee.

Normally, I rant and rail at the participants of this show when I see them whine and cry or not take advantage of the opportunity they have been given but I felt Latrice had some deep seated issues that needed to be addressed before she could start this process. In her final video diary confessional she does seem much happier with herself and what she had accomplished. Physically, who can see that her skin is glowing and that she has lost a big roll of fat from around her middle. I wish her luck and hope she continues on her journey.

MTV moved the show to 10:30pm, giving the lead in to Chelsea Settles at 10pm.

Nov 8, 2011

episode 5 - Sammy - 18 yrs old, attends Benedict Academy a private Catholic High School. He has gone there for the last 4 yrs. Sammy has an older brother, Johnny and an older sister, Catherine who both live at home. He was a surprise baby. His mom had him at 40. Sammy's problems is that his parents baby him and do everything for him. His mom, Carmella, also had breast cancer and she thinks that is why he is fat. (no I don't get the connection, even when she explained it later in the show). His mom says that he was very active as a kid, but not any longer. Sammy himself says he is very inactive and wants foods to taste good and be filling and that means junk food. He tends to go to his room and eat junk and watch TV. Wants to be able to play frisbee with his friends. Has been accepted to Marquette University (his dad's alma mater) class of 2014. Sidebar which means he starts September 2010. Is there overlap from the previous season? I noticed similar things in the first two eps of season 2.

Sammy's goals are:

1. lose a 100lbs
    2. think for himself
    3. figure out why he gained weight.

Trainer: Saran Moore, good to see her again. She was on season 1. First thing Saran does is remove Sammy's TV and XBox from his bedroom. Bet that hurt. Nails a 92 day calendar and a frisbee to his bedroom wall. She weights Sammy in at 314.2lbs at 5'9". Sammy tells her he wants to lose 100lbs to reach that goal Sammy needs to lose 7lbs a week. He tells Saran that he doesn't like to eat veggie although the rest of the family eats them.

First workout - don't cry like a baby.

Day 87 - cheats and eats pasta.

Day 85 - one week weight in, 311.0 - lost a whopping 3.2lbs. Way to go Sammy.

Saran is commenting that Sammy has a bad attitude and needs to stop being a baby. We see Sammy's dad, John ---ack---he is a smoker.

Day 62 - Sammy comments that he is starting to like his 4 hours of exercise.

Last weight in was 8 weeks ago and Sammy was 311.0 and now is 249.6 for a total loss of 61.4 lbs for a total of 64.6 lbs. You can see the weight loss in his face.

Day 25 - Saran talks to Carmella, Sammy's mom. Wow, this mom is totally supportive of her kid does he realize how lucky he is?

Day 20 - Sammy thinks his mom babies him too much and he needs to learn to do stuff on his own. Mom shows him how to do laundry, to separate the darks and whites and how to set the washing machine. Sammy is even insisting he cook for himself because he will have to at college.

Day 7 - Donate old clothes that don't fit anymore.

Day 3 - went to breakfast will is classmates, they have not seen him since the beginning of summer and are amazed at how he looks.

Day 0 - started at 314.2 and now weight in at 240.6 for a total loss of 73.6lbs

Saran takes Sammy to the gym and lets him create the workout, because that is what he will have to do when he is at college. He freezes and it took him some time but this was an important lesson in thinking for himself.

At college: Sammy is saying it is hard to balance school with working out and eating and it is a struggle.

3 months later he makes a trip home and voila he says with the 80 lbs he lost in the summer he has lost another 35lbs. Wait a minute why does everyone do this practically every episode they are constantly changing the numbers. Don't lie to yourself about how much you weigh or how much you have lost or gained. It just burns me why they do this. Sammy lost 73.6 lbs during the summer that plus the 35lbs he "lost" at school makes a grand total of 108.6lbs lost so he currently weights 208lbs. If he really lost 35lbs and not 28 or 32.

Stats:

Days: 92
    Sex: male
    Height: 5'9"
    Start weight: 314.2

1 week weight in: 311.0 lost 3.2 lbs
    8 week weight in: 249.6 lost 61.4 lbs for a total of 64.6 lbs - averaging over 8 lbs lost between week 2 and week 8
    13 week weight in: 240.6 lost 9.0 lbs for a total of 73.6 lbs - huh lost only 9lbs in 5 weeks what happened?

3.2 + 61.4 + 9.0 = 73.6

Crap, MTV moved I Used To Be Fat back to 10pm. Way to screw up by taping schedule.

OK, there are 2 new Chelsea Settles after this episode.

On TVGuide.com it says this is season 1, episode 16. I was under the impression it was season 2 and episode 6 because that's how it is listed everywhere else. Well, it explains some of the dates and weird timelines I have been complaining about.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 11-15-2011 at 11:14 PM.

Nov 15, 2011

Maddy - 18

Weights in at 265lbs and wants to lose 120lbs in 110 days.

Maddy has just graduated from high school and has been excepted into the honors program at Fresno City College. There are 7 kids in her family. Her dad Stephan and his 3 kids, herself and her younger brother and sister. Her stepmom, Traci and her 4 kids, Trevor, Darlene, Carrison (hope I heard that right) and Sydney. They all talk to each other and eat at the table together. Maddy's parents divorced when she was 12 and her mom had a drinking problem. Maddy and her mom had a very rocky relationship and Maddy became depressed and started drinking and using drugs. She wanted to live with her dad but knew she had to clean up her act so she became sober. But she admits that food is her drug and focuses on the taste and texture and will eat and eat and will feel horrible about herself and hates herself.

Trainer: Annie

First weight in: 265.2lbs

Maddy's goal is to lose 120lbs in 110 days.

Maddy changes clothes and they go do her first workout. Does 1 mile in 18:48 minutes. Barely makes it through the workout.

Maddy does a lot of video diary entries and you can tell this is also an emotional journey for her. She doesn't want to tell Annie about her past, about her addictions, it makes her feel vulnerable and she doesn't like that. But on the other hand I wonder , you applied for this show and you are now telling millions of people? Still you can see the emotional struggle in each workout. I haven't liked the editing the last 2 or 3 episodes because I do like to see the weight loss journey documented better as far a the weight ins. I do like this episode showing how supportive her step mom, her dad and her sibs are. They talk about her progress at family meals and Maddy is very articulate about her feelings and emotions and you can see she is analyzing and processing what she is going through. Maddy is also a lot more mature that folks in the 2 or 3 previous episodes. Is it because she had to be to overcome her previous addictions?

Day 108 - Annie gives Maddy her nutrition plan and tells her to be consistent with the plan.

Maddy is taking an ice bath for her sore muscles.

Day 97 - 2 weeks later weights in at 253.6 has lost 11.6 lbs

Day 93 - working out 3 times a day for about 6 hours

Video Diary - Maddy says she is finding no joy anymore in eating, it is like giving up drugs and alcohol

Annie notes that Maddy is very emotional during her workouts.

Maddy has not told Annie about her addictions.

Day 85 - Annie notes that Maddy has a wall up around herself.

Day 82 - Annie talks to stepmom, Traci, and dad, Stephan, but they do not tell Annie anything. Stephan explains in a confessional that he won't discuss Maddy's issues with Annie if Maddy has not yet talked to Annie about it. You can see that Annie is frustrated but all she can do is be there for Maddy.

Day 79 - Video diary - Maddy is emotional, she is angry and frustrated. She mentions that when she quit drinking that she started eating and eating and gained 65lbs in 1 year.

Day 52 - great seeing Maddy talking with her stepmom and dad. This is the halfway point and Maddy should be down 60 lbs if she wants to meet her goal of 120lbs lost.

Day 45 - why aren't we seeing any weight ins?

Day 36 - yeah, finally a weigh in. It has been 8 weeks since her last weigh in altogether 10 weeks since she has started her journey. She weighs in at 203.0lbs for a lost of 53lbs since her last weigh in for a grand total of 62.2 lbs lost. At this point I had expected to see more of a difference in her face and body but she looks just as heavy as when she started. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a before and after photo side by side comparison. Come one inspire us viewers. We want to see quantifiable progress.

Day 13 - Maddy is talking to her dad.

Day 0 - Now you can see that Maddy has lost weight, it is really showing in her face and her skin is glowing. Yeah, giving up all that sugar and processed food really cleared up her skin. So the final weigh in is 190.4 lbs. She has lost a total of 74.8 lbs in 110 day which is around 15.7 wees or 3.6 months so she averaged about 20lbs lost per month for 3 months and 15 lbs lost the last 3/4's of a month averaging about 4 plus lbs a week.

Maddy starts school and says it is really hard managing school and working out because she does want to continue to lose weight and live her new lifestyle. 2 months later and with a makeover and a new black dress Maddy presents herself to her family and friends and says she has lost a total of 85 lbs. You can tell she is happy with herself and has lost a ton of emotional baggage, anger and frustration and has gained a ton of self confidence and self esteem.

I am really looking forward to the reunion show for these episodes because I want to see if the participants have all reached their goal weights.

What I really liked about this episode is that it does bring up the issue that food is addictive and can be used like a drug to bury your pain, loneliness and depression. It is not so much as question of will power and being lazy as much as it being an emotional minefield. In fact I have noticed the last several episodes have touched on that subject that the participants are numbing their pain through food.

Sidebar: MTV keeps switching I Used To Be Fat from 10pm to 10:30pm and back again. Confusing to say the least.

+ Reply to Thread