Thread: I Used To Be Fat

Re: I Used To Be Fat

The season 2 trailer is up: I Used To Be Fat | Trailer | Video | MTV
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Anyone watch episode 1 of season 2?

We canceled our cable a while ago so I didn't realize this was coming up until I saw your post. I watched it online - what a great kid and supportive parents. Nice that they had such a positive story to start out the season on, especially with next week looking pretty grim.

Trainer Joey was pretty over the top in the beginning of the episode though. He's a good trainer for this show. I remember him from last season.
    _(Moo!)

Ugh, messed up and only caught the last 15 minutes of episode 2 with Terra. She had 91 days with a trainer, weighted in at 236lbs and wanted to lose 96lbs. The weight loss sounded ambitious for a female but we have seen miracles on this series. At the final weight in Terra weigh in at 206.8lbs. Gee, a whole whopping 30lbs. Terra had a personal trainer dedicated to her. She dedicated her entire summer to this process. Her dad really supported her and she lost 30lbs in 13 weeks or 2.3lbs lost per week. What the heck happened? Seriously, 60lbs would have been terrific but 30lb??? Seems like a waste of time. Still when I have a chance I will watch the entire episode and try to figure out what happened.

Terra did continue to stick to her fitness and food plans while in college. 2 months later she has a makeover and a bit of family reunion. She has continued to lose weight and looks fab. Her hair is terrific. What I don't like is she is telling everyone she lost 50 lbs, than later says she lost 18lbs while at school. 30 plus 18 is 48 not 50. To me telling people she lost 50lbs instead of 48lbs is lying. While it is great she stuck to her food and fitness the fact that she lost 18lbs in a two month period while at school when she cannot commit as much time to her fitness just tells me she didn't work that hard during the summer when she was supposedly totally committed to the program. Kinda disappointed that she didn't take full advantage of this gift.

October 11, 2011 – season 2, episode 1 – Josh
    Josh is 18, lives in Newbury Park, Ca and planning to attend Cal State Northridge in the fall. He lives with his dad, Dave, mom, Jennelle and two younger brothers Tate and Porter. He is the fat kid in the family. He likes to go surfing with his dad and brothers but in that last 2 years he has yet to stand up on his board. He wants to spend this summer changing the way he looks and changing his life.

Trainer: Joey, he was one of the trainers from season 1, the crazy, tattooed one.

Joey literally charges into Josh’s house while Josh is eating a breakfast of chocolate chip pancakes and wants to know what Josh wants to achieve this summer. Josh says he has always been overweight even though he eats just as much as his two skinny younger brothers, he wants to go on dates and have an active social life as well as do physical activities with his family. He wants to be able to stand on his surf board.

Joey gives Josh the warrior name of Yeshua (gotta luv Joey for going full out and embracing a new way of life).

Currently Josh weighs in at 315.8 (might be .6) lbs and has a goal of reaching 225 otherwise losing 90lbs in 110 days or 15.7 weeks.

Weight Ins:
    Day 103 or 1 week later – weight: 299.6 or 16lbs lost.
    Day 60 or 6 weeks later – weight: 245.6 or 54lbs lost total lost: 70lbs (16 + 54)
    Day 15 or 6 weeks later – weight: 219.2 or 26.4lbs lost total lost: 96.4lbs (16 + 54 + 26.4)
    Day 0 or 2 weeks later – weight: 198.6 or 20.6lbs lost total lost: 117lbs (16 + 54 + + 26.4 + 20.6)

On average Josh was losing 7lbs per week. (13.7 wks / 117 lbs)
    Josh lost 96lbs in 13.5lbs which also averages out to 7lbs per week. (passing his 225 goal)

A couple weeks into the program Joey had to talk to Josh’s brothers about not teasing him and by not eating unhealthy food in front of him. Joey was here to save Josh’s life because he was slowly dying by food and Josh’s brothers needed to support that.
    On day 15 Josh went surfing with Joey, his dad and brothers and was able to stand up for the first time ever on his surf board.

I did like that both Josh’s parents supported Josh’s efforts. Mom Jennelle helped by buying the foods on the program and later Dad worked out with Josh. There was a two month later followup and it looks as if Josh has put some of the weight back on, but his face looked really skinny by day 110. I am looking forward to the reunion to see if Josh has toned up a bit more. I liked that Josh was consistent, that he stuck to the program and Joey did his part by putting him on program that gave Josh maximum results.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 10-21-2011 at 08:14 PM.

I finally watched episode 2. I have a question, Terra lost 29.8 lbs and is telling her mom that she lost 30 lbs. To me I would have said I had lost 29lbs because 29.8 is not 30 lbs lost it is 29.8 lbs lost. I have seen quite a few people do that on this show and I find it very annoying. I don't find it accurate or the truth so why do it?

October 18, 2011

Terra, 18 a Honor Roll student. Started dancing lessons at 4 but stopped when she got too fat. She is very close to her mom; Janey, and her mom is over weight. Terra and her sister; Janecia, hang out with their mom and eat what she eats. The only not overweight in that family is their dad, Jerry. Terra says that she was always a big heavy but really started to gain weight in 9th grade. She would get alot of prank calls with people calling her "brown cow" because she is biracial and overweight and that depressed her and so she ate and gained and got called more names. A vicious cycle. OK at this point she has my sympathy. Seriously, people stop the hate we all have enough problems with out a bunch of idiots adding to it.

I must point out that this episode and the previous one really have a sad air to them. They feel blah, I don't know if it the personalities or what but they feel like really crappy documentaries. That and they show Terra graduating as the class of 2010 from Kearsley High School. What this episode is from last season, what about Josh??? What this episode so blah they didn't want to show it? Questions, questions, any answers???

Anyway Terra wants to 1. lose a 100lbs, 2. succeed without her helpf form her family, 3. not turn into her mom.

Trainer: Jimi Varner

Stats: 91 days
    Weight: 236.6 lbs
    Goal: 140 lbs
    Lose: 96.6 lbs

To reach her goal Terra needs to lose a pound a day or burn 3500 calories a day in her workouts.

The family frig and pantry are cleaned out, but you can see that all that food was replaced very quickly.

Day 85: or 1 week: weight is: 232.4 lbs Lost: 4.2 lbs in 1 week

Terra's videos are very sad, she gets no support from her family, feels she is hitting a wall by Day 61.

Day 47: or 5 weeks later: weight is: 226.2 lbs Lost: 6.2 lbs in 5 weeks.

Jimi feels that Terra is emotionally holding back and tells her that she needs to get her family involved. At the family home they are having barbecue and mom and dad are very non receptive. Jerry, Terra's dad, tells her that she ate his fried chicken for 18 yrs, Mom says everything tastes better with butter on it. Mom is tired of helping Terra, mom says she gave up her car for 5 hours a day and Terra is doing nothing to help herself lose weight. Mom is tired of the whole thing and wishes it was over. Mom will not hear anything Jimi has to say.

Later Jimi tires talking to dad, Jerry and sister, Janecia. Janecia agrees to workout with Terra and Jerry is helping out by cooking turkey burger and making salads for Terra. Dad says he is proud of Terra.

Day 18: or 4 weeks later: weight is: 214.2 lbs Lost: 12.0 lbs in 4 weeks.

Wow progress, they found the right combination and it is working.

Day 0: or 2.4 weeks later: weight is: 206.8 lbs Lost: 7.4 lbs in 2.4 weeks.

Altogether 29.8lbs (but they are calling it 30) in 91 days averaging 10 lbs a month for 3 months.

Terra goes to college at Ferris State University (its in Michigan) and comes home two months later with a great new hair cut and another 18 lbs gone, she has continued to workout and eat right. While she is calling it 50lbs I am calling it 47.8lbs. Since her freshmen yr was 2010/2011 I hope she has continued with her lifestyle change and hopefully she will be at her goal weight for the reunion show.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 10-23-2011 at 12:41 PM.

Terra, 18

No height given.

91 days to lose 96lbs.

91 days / 7 days per week = 13 weeks about 3 months

Weight ins

Start: Day 91: 236.6

Week 1: Day 85: 232.4 - lost 4.2 in 1 week

Week 6: Day 47: 226.2 - lost 6.2 in 5 weeks total of 10.4 in 6 weeks

week 10: Day 18: 214.2 - lost 12.0 in 4 weeks total of 22.4 in 10 weeks (averaged 3lbs per week for the last 4 weeks)

Day 0: 206.8 - lost 7.4 in 2.5 weeks total of 29.8 in 13 weeks or averaging 2.29 lbs per week

2 months in school another 18 lbs total of 47.8 lbs in 6 months (what you say my math is wrong? the show said 6 months so maybe the 2 months in school was really closer to 3). So instead of 9lbs lost each month for 2 months more like 6 lbs lost per month for 3 months.

At family gathering - 206.8 - 18 = 188.8.

Just a little what if:

If Terra had lost 3lbs per week x 13 weeks = 39lbs

If Terra had lost 4lbs per week x 13 weeks = 52lbs

If Terra had lost 5lbs per week x 13 weeks = 65lbs

If Terra had lost 6lbs per week x 13 weeks = 78lbs

If Terra had lost 7lbs per week x 13 weeks = 91lbs

I accidently skipped alot of this episode! What happened to the original trainer? Thanks to everyone/anyone who can help me out!

Quote Originally Posted by jenniferboston1 View Post
    I accidently skipped alot of this episode! What happened to the original trainer? Thanks to everyone/anyone who can help me out!
    If you are referring to episode 3 with Lindsey and her Trainer Ary then the new one? I am not sure still have to watch the episode.

One thing surprises me is as a cheer leader since grade school why can't Lindsey do a cartwheel? That is basic tumbling.

+ Reply to Thread