Interesting that the last episode in the series is the shortest as far as days to lose given to the contestant, 72 days, but the contestant also is the least heavy of all the participants and has the most likely opportunity to actually be a normal weight. What is incredible is how she walked out in the middle of the first workout. Way to show commitment. Seriously, she emoted like a brick wall.
I was surprised that the entire family acted as if their dad/husband had just passed away. It has been 12 years. I have lost family members and the funerals are hard but necessary but it can take several years to actually greive for someone. But by the 10 year mark you really should be enjoying the good times and crying mistyly over that but in a positive way. But I can totally understand turning to food over the grieving process but there is a certain point you have to recognize what is happening and stop. I do wonder if that entire family is suffering from depression and that just fuels the cycle of grief and eating that they all seem to be on.
Next week, March 2, 2011, at 10pm ET there will be a reunion show and we will get to see "where are they now".
Initially I was too thrilled with Kelly but now that I have seen the entire episode I have changed my mind. The entire episode is a tad boring because Kelly really didn't cause that much drama. She took total responsibility for her behavior the first workout and even when she wasn't having great results she kept saying she will work harder and stick to her food plan because she wanted to change and she knew that by doing the exercise and eating right she will eventually get to her desired goal. Even her family supported her and didn't her any problems with the eating and at one time her sister Tara joined in a workout and another time her sister Britanny went jogging with her. Kelly even opened up to her mom and sisters that her father's dead had effected her by her deciding not to make friends because what was the point she was going to go to college and not be there. I did like the fact the entire family did go camping together and that Kelly's journey to health and weight loss was helping the family open up to each other and help heal them from their father's dead. I do wish I the two older sister's Tara and Stephanie had joined Kelly in her weight loss as it seemed they to found comfort in food. While Kelly didn't meet her 50lbs goal she did lose 30 lbs in 10 weeks which is an accomplishment. But what made and even bigger impact in her figure is losing the last 20lbs in the 3 months she was at college. So she did lose 50lbs in about 5 and a half months and looked very happy and self confident. I'm sure her father would be very proud of her.
February 23, 2011 - episode 9 - Kelly
Kelly lives in Minnesota with her mom, Sue and 3 older sisters, Stephanie, Tara and Britanny. She is a real "daddy's girl" and was always by his side even when he was battling cancer and when he died. Kelly was only 6 years old when her father died. She holds in her emotions. She doesn't want to get close to anyone just to lose them. She turned to food for comfort. Something her mother and two oldest sisters have also done. Sue, her mom, had weight loss surgery a year ago to help her lose weight. Kelly is very fortunate because her entire family wants to be supportive and help her lose weight, express her emotions and live a healthy livestyle.
Nick, Kelly's trainer.
Start weight: 186.6 lbs
Goal to lose: 50 lbs
End Weight: 136.6 lbs
Other goals: Play Volleyball
Days 72 - 10 weeks and about 2 days - Kelly needs to lose 5 lbs a week to met her goal. She is the only participant who if she loses her goal weight will be a normal size. But she also has the least amount of time to do it in - 2 and a half months.
Day 72 - first workout Kelly walks out. Nick was trying to get her to tell him what her feelings were she shut down and left. Later in her video diary she confesses to have given up to easily and not giving it her all and to do better.
Day 68 - Kelly and her mom are grocery shopping with Nick. No processed food. Romaine is better than iceberg lettuce. Use organic peanut butter or almond butter or cashew butter. No sugar.
Day 66 - lots of running
Day 59 - weight in day. It has been two weeks since her last weight in.
Start: 186.6 lbs
Now: 182.4 lbs
Results: 5.2 lbs
Kelly is disappointed and vows to continue the training and eating right.
Day 44 - Nick notes that Kelly is opening up more.
Day 36 - 2nd weight in. 3 weeks ago Kelly had only lost 5.2lbs
Average weight lost per week over 5 weeks 12.6 / 5 = 2.52 lbs per week.
Overall on Kelly's video diaries she is much more positive and more determined to continue with the program because she knows what the final goal is and that is what she really wants.
Day 32 - looking into 5K races held in Minnesota that are run to benefit cancer. Nick times her running 3 miles on the treadmill and she does it in 42 minutes which is a 14 minute mile. Not bad for a girl who was cut from her high school volleyball team because she couldn't run the mile.
Day 22 - 3rd weight in
Lost: 7.6 in 10 days
Total: 20.2 in 50 days or 7 weeks
Day 15 - sisters help make t shirts to support Kelly during race day.
Day 4 - Race Day in Normandale Lake Disctrict. Wants to finish the race in 35 minutes. Does it in 31 minutes, which is just above a 10 minute a mile pace.
5K = 3 miles, 564 feet and 2.4 inches long.
During the last month the entire family went on a camping trip and Kelly really opened up as to why she has so few friends. That there didn't seem to be any point to making any because she would be leaving to go to college. That is why she pushes people away.
Day 0 - plays volleyball. Final weight in.
Lost: 10 lbs
Lost on average 3+ lbs per week.
Leaves for the University of North Dakota and continues to workout and eat right.
3 months later:
Lost: 20.2 lbs in 3 months at school
Total: 50.4 lbs in 5 and half months.
Start wt: 186.6
Current wt: 136.2
Don't forget the reunion is next week, so it timing wise it will be 3 months ago that we have seen all the outcomes. Will some have maintained? Will some have lost more and will some have gained some back? See ya all next week.
Don't forget tonight, March 2, 2011 at 10pm is the reunion show.
The Reunion Show - impressions - did the director and editor go out to lunch on this show? Who the heck was that host? The first half of the show felt very flat and boring, it was going no where. Jordan looked good he kept the weight off and looks fit and a lot older than 18. Dominic had tons of self confidence and seemed glowed, but looks like he had packed on a few pounds. Then Makenzie comes on and I'm sorry she still needs to lose 40 - 50 lbs. She also looks like she gained some weight back, it shows in her face. Gabriela comes on, face is gorgeous, but as she is pear shaped she also needs to lose more. Nice to see that the kids found each other on Facebook. Kelly looks great, too much, like, like, like, like, like in her conversation.
Tanner...why the heck is this host being nice to this bozo. He is still delusional and he has put on at least 15 lbs. Thank you Joey for calling Tanner on some of his behavior.
Daria..looks as if she has kept it all off maybe lost some more. Seems very happy. Then its Kirsten again the cute face but fat legs. Why are these girls wearing short skirts? It's not attractive when they sit on tall stools and the skirt hikes up. Marci...woo woo, this girl looks hot, wish she wasn't wearing all black but you can see she has lost some more weight and it looks great. Now she should have been wearing a short skirt.
First of all, all the participants are glowing with self confidence and it looks great. This comment does not include Tanner as he is glowing from BS. All the girls have great hair and great makeup...looking very similar...the same professional did it?? What was the stylist thinking with Mackenzie, Gabriella and Kirsten all wearing these mock empire waist and tight pencil skirts. While Daria who had a nice shape is done in "Swiss Miss". Not impressed.
When all the kids were on the stage the tempo of the show improved but it something was definitely lacking. While I liked the show and the message it sent out and I am glad the participants showed much success I felt that overall the reunion show was a letdown.
Now a more serious look at the reunion.
1. First up Jordan looking good. He ended the show at 205lbs and is currently at 207lbs. He says he is weight lifting more so he thinks he has put on a bit of muscle and is still following the food plan and cardio. He mentions that he had another motivation to lose weight that was not mentioned on the show. Jordan has two sisters, Abby and Shelly, he wanted to show them that they did not have to follow in the footsteps of their parents (addictions to drugs and alcohol). He did mention that he is still seeing his mother and that she is still sober.
2. Dominic is next. I am sorry but when he shows up next to his before shot he look like it. Maybe the angle is off, maybe the size of the before shot is not life size but I can't see an overall difference between the size of his body before and after. I do think he has gained some weight back. You can see it in his face. But his hair is great and he is bursting with self confidence. His mom, Joann, is shown and she has lost 78lbs, grandma has lost 10lbs and a female cousin form California who is staying with them has lost 35lbs. Mom says his ego is now so huge he can't get through the door at her house.
3. Makenzie is up next, again looks good, but looks as if she has gained a bit back. Her Dad is up and he has to explain some of his comments on the show. Overall, Makenzie seems to be making a lot of friends and is the first time ever she has had guy friends. Not quite ready for dating though.
4. Gabriela - again not thrilled with the dress, makeup and hair is great, but I am feeling like I am at a Biggest Loser reveal where the contestants have lost a lot of weight but still need to lose more. Turns out that the cast has become friends through Facebook.
5. Kelly looks great and sits with Gabriela and Makenzie. Looks like a life long friendship. I think they are helping support each other with the maintenance phase of having lost weight.
6. Tanner - excuses, excuses, excuses. Yes, he and Mykala are still living together. He says the that Mykala was actually quiet supportive of him with the program saying she encouraged him to eat right and to not miss any of his workout sessions. Yikes, I quess, editing made it look like she broke up with him because he couldn't spend any time with him...well. I can give that a bye, but I saw Tanner miss several workout sessions because he was with her..editing or the truth. I do feel like he is just saying what he wants us to hear and not the gut honest truth. I do feel he does need to grow up and do for himself and not others, thanks Joey for calling him out on that particular subject.
7. Daria - seems like she doing well. Says she is working out with her mom. She has a job at a gym and they mentioned to her that they would like her to teach classes and maybe get her personal trainers certification.
8. Kirsten - again with the pear shaped girl who looks good on top and hevy on the bottom. Says she was a size 22 and is now a size 12. Again, hair and makeup spot on.
9. Marci - wowed me as she continued to lose weight and looks fabulous, unfortunately, I wish she wore another color besides all black because it was really hard to see all her progress.
Again not impressed with the host's questions of the participants. I did like that the last 17 minutes of so all of the girls and guys were on stage and were asked questions. Many said they were very grateful to the show because they wouldn't have been able to lose the weight with out the help they received. They have been recognized on the streets. They did mention that maintenance is hard and they were very thankful to their fans, in fact they mentioned that they receive a lot of emails and told the fans how great they were because they are losing the weight without the show and all the help they had.
Just posting the logo and cast photo.
I do wish that the two boys in back and who had really lost a lot of weight were more in the picture versus Tanner who is right in front and lost the least.