+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: I Used To Be Fat

Re: I Used To Be Fat

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    I did not get to finish the show with Kirsten. So she got herself down to a size 10 BUT still has 40 pounds to lose. Wow. Clothing sizes are all over the place.
    I do agree with you that current clothing sizes are all over the place especially for women that it is really hard to judge a person's size. I don't doubt that Kirsten is a Lane Bryant size 10, but I do not think she is a regular sized woman's 10 more like a 16.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Lane Bryant doesn't make a size 10 - they start at 14 - but I get your point. Yes, she had a ways to go, but she still MUCH better off than she was at the beginning of the summer. I think she also looked bigger because she clearly had a lot of loose skin around her middle that needed to be removed. I thought this show was 120 days, which is only 4 months. I don't watch regularly, so I may have gotten that part wrong.

I'd much rather watch this show and Heavy because you see the struggle and the yo-yoing that people do and not everyone looks super thin at the end of the show. For me, that's much more realistic. We've all heard stories of what BL contestants do to lose more weight by the final weigh-in and none of it is very healthy. The kids on this show are learning to make changes for the rest of their life: they aren't doing it with any chance of a financial windfall, which is the case with most of us IRL.

Realistically, the majority of the people on these shows (and IRL) won't ever get to their goal weight. However, learning to eat healthier and exercise AND losing even 10 or 20% of their body weight will make them SO much healthier long term.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    I did not get to finish the show with Kirsten. So she got herself down to a size 10 BUT still has 40 pounds to lose. Wow. Clothing sizes are all over the place.
    Sizes in women's clothing, especially stuff that's marked S-M-L-XL, are a mess. In the past three months, I've purchased clothing in every one of those sizes, and they all fit and are basically the same size. It just depends on the brand you're buying and the cut of the item. At this point, I just pull things off the rack and eyeball them--I can tell better whether they'll fit by looking at them than by looking at the size.

There are also times when a celebrity will claim to be down to a particular size and I'll think, "Even if the camera adds ten pounds, how do you get that size over your bust or hips?" Even if someone is teeny-tiny, if she has a bust or hips, certain sizes aren't likely to fit--at least not off-the rack sizes available in most stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Sizes in women's clothing, especially stuff that's marked S-M-L-XL, are a mess. In the past three months, I've purchased clothing in every one of those sizes, and they all fit and are basically the same size. It just depends on the brand you're buying and the cut of the item. At this point, I just pull things off the rack and eyeball them--I can tell better whether they'll fit by looking at them than by looking at the size.

There are also times when a celebrity will claim to be down to a particular size and I'll think, "Even if the camera adds ten pounds, how do you get that size over your bust or hips?" Even if someone is teeny-tiny, if she has a bust or hips, certain sizes aren't likely to fit--at least not off-the rack sizes available in most stores.
    It's like when Kirstie Alley claimed her highest weight was 200 or 220 and then said she'd lost over 50 lbs. I think Rosie O'Donell (and I!) called b.s. on that one. There's no way that, at her height (5'8", I think), she was even close to 150 lbs. I will say that I have met or seen some celebs in person and was shocked at how tiny they were. In Kirstie's case though, there's no way she was that much smaller than she looked on film.

Sizes in high-end designer clothing run MUCH smaller than what you'd find somewhere like Target or WalMart. I know that Old Navy clothes tend to run a bit smaller than, say, Coldwater Creek. I think it's because their prices are so low!

For some people, the number on the tag is more important than how they actually look.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    It's like when Kirstie Alley claimed her highest weight was 200 or 220 and then said she'd lost over 50 lbs. I think Rosie O'Donell (and I!) called b.s. on that one. There's no way that, at her height (5'8", I think), she was even close to 150 lbs. I will say that I have met or seen some celebs in person and was shocked at how tiny they were. In Kirstie's case though, there's no way she was that much smaller than she looked on film.

Sizes in high-end designer clothing run MUCH smaller than what you'd find somewhere like Target or WalMart. I know that Old Navy clothes tend to run a bit smaller than, say, Coldwater Creek. I think it's because their prices are so low!

For some people, the number on the tag is more important than how they actually look.
    Now way no how was Kirstie Ally less than 300 lbs at her heaviest. She is tall at 5'8" and needed to be that heavy to look the way she did. I hated the way she lied to the public and to herself.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

If you want to go for ultimate "vanity" sizing, go to J. Jill. I have a trench coat from there that is a VS size and it fits perfectly, even over sweaters. I'm a Gap/Banana Republic/Target/Steinmart (I don't do fancy labels, obviously) size 8/M (a happy, realistic weight for me). But if you want your head to spin, hit an H&M. I have a handful of similarly cut pencil skirts from there, ranging from 8 to 12 and they all fit the same.

But as for the show, I applaud anyone willing to make a change in their eating and exercising habits and do it on camera. Three years ago when I started my program to get my weight in check, I know I'd never want a film crew in my house. Well, I don't want any film crew in my house for any reason, but especially on a weight loss quest!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Now way no how was Kirstie Ally less than 300 lbs at her heaviest. She is tall at 5'8" and needed to be that heavy to look the way she did. I hated the way she lied to the public and to herself.
    I was thinking at least 260 It's pretty amazing how much weight the camera adds - it's NOT 10 lbs, that's for sure.

I'm with you, PG - I would NEVER want a film crew in my house for any reason! It would be hard enough to lose so much weight without a bunch of TV cameras in your face all the time.

Only 2 more episodes left. Kelly on February 23rd and the "Where Are They Now" episode on March 2nd.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I don't watch this but enjoy reading your comments here---loved that Tanner has no time to make dinner so grabs an ice cream sandwich and plays video games--hello? Instead of the game, cook!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Only 2 more episodes left. Kelly on February 23rd and the "Where Are They Now" episode on March 2nd.
    Oh thanks for that info!!
    KAREN

+ Reply to Thread