+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: I Used To Be Fat

Re: I Used To Be Fat

Hi Bearcata! I just caught the running commentary on Daria & watched the show.... it was pretty sad to think that the move basically ruined her life as far as friends, social stuff, dancing, etc and she's expected to serve as housekeeper, cook and nanny for her brother. The mom didn't care at all about helping with the weight loss, no wonder Daria had trouble getting motivated. She did look good at the end though, whew!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Hi Bearcata! I just caught the running commentary on Daria & watched the show.... it was pretty sad to think that the move basically ruined her life as far as friends, social stuff, dancing, etc and she's expected to serve as housekeeper, cook and nanny for her brother. The mom didn't care at all about helping with the weight loss, no wonder Daria had trouble getting motivated. She did look good at the end though, whew!
    I do think her mom did sorta change her mind a bit after talking to the trainer..but I think it will be a while before she changes her mind completely. I do think Daria's mom is so focused on raising her 2 kids as a single parent and her job that she doesn't have room in her mind to worry or wonder on how Daria is feeling. All she knows is that Daria is there to help her.

Fashion note. I have noticed that folks who lose weight tend to buy clothes that are too small or too tight for their bodies. While bodies are smaller they are not necessary all there yet. Where is this all going? Well, that green dress Daria was wearing was a fashion don't. Daria needed to be a good 20 - 25lbs less then she was to wear that dress. Horizontal stripes or banding are not your friend. That type of bandage dress is great if you have the bod for it but please, Daria you are not ready for it yet.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

February 16, 2011 - episode 8 - Tanner

Tanner is 18, he has three goals in life, he wants to become a plumber, marry his girlfriend and wrestle again. To do that he wants to lose the 100lbs he has gained. His father, Bobo, (I just luv the name Bobo, who wouldn't want a dad named Bobo. Unless of course you were afraid of clowns.) blames quitting wrestling, and gaining weight all on his girlfriend of 3 years, Mikyla. Tanner used to wrestle at 171lbs and now weights in at 263.0lbs.

Eric Stevens, the trainer, is impressed that Tanner, knows wants he wants to do with his life and with who.

Mikyla thinks Bobo is rude but just ignores it. They show a clip of Tanner with Mikyla and all they do is eat and play video games.

Stats:

Time: 110 days
    Start weight: 263.0lbs
    Goal: 80lbs
    Plan to work out 4 hours a day 7 days a week and a food plan. Tanner is lucky as it looks like Bobo is doing all the cooking. No offense but Bobo could use this food plan also.

Day 95: 250lbs - lost 13lbs in 2 weeks

Tanner also benched (bench pressed) 175lbs 5 times and then 225lbs 5 times. The kid is strong.

Mikyla broke up with Tanner because he is working out 4 hours a day. Sorry but there are more then 4 hours in a day and you can't suck it up for 110 days?

Day 87: 256.6 - gained 6.6lbs

Eric, the trainer, questions Tanner's commitment to the program. Tanner feels their is no reason to continue the program because it was all for Mikyla. He wrapped everything around her. Galene, Tanner's mother, tries to advise him by saying he is the only one who won't let himself down.

Day 55 - 229.2 - lost 33.8lbs. To be on track to lose 80lbs Tanner needed to be around 223, he is close. It looks like Tanner is back on track.

Day 47 - Mikyla and Tanner are back together and eating.

Day 44 - Spending more time with Mikyla.

Day 38 - late for practice - did he ever show up?

Day 34 - missed 6 workouts

229,2lbs - 3 weeks ago
    231.4lbs - currently, gained 2.2lbs

Erie feels that Tanner is afraid to succeed. All he has to do is the work and Tanner will lose the weight.

Day 20 - Bobo is cooking. Tanner tells his parents that he plans to move out and get a place with Mikyla in the fall. They are unsupportive. Tanner makes $9 and hour and that's $18,000 a year plenty of money to live well. Bobo tells him that $18,000 a year is below poverty level. That Tanner will have to pay his own health insurance, his owe car insurance and other bills that dad is currently paying.

Day 7 - Eric stops by to talk to Bobo. Both agree that Tanner failed the program. Bobo feels that Tanner is not emotionally mature. Bobo says that Tanner likes it easy and if it isn't easy Tanner quits.

Day 0 - 227.2lbs - lost 35.8lbs

Tanner thinks 35.8lbs is a great accomplishment.

2 months later Eric visits Tanner at his apartment and comments that it looks like Tanner has gained some of the weight back. Tanner says he doesn't eat any fast food except for lunch and that when he comes homes he doesn't have time to make a good dinner so he grabs an ice cream sandwich and plays video games.

FORT Regular

This show should be called "Im still fat but I used to be even fatter"

I watched 2 episodes and no one looked thin or at least presentable. They might have lost some weight and might have even looked a little better but they were still fat. This show should be filmed and then 6 months to a year later have the recap of whats going on.

i disagree, I think a third to half of the teens featured have made really respectable progress. A few of them have looked really stellar in their follow-up segments, losing weight at a reasonable pace and continuing it after the end of their "program" - I'm thinking of the guy that went to culinary school, the girl who went to cosmetology school, and Kristen who went to Michigan State, off the top of my head. No none of them became supermodels, but I've been pleasantly surprised with most of them.

That said, this last guy was a disappointment and a waste of an episode. I hope he finds motivation somewhere. I felt like his parents were right in that his codependent relationship was not helping him lose weight, but at the same time neither were they. They expected him to fail, his girlfriend didn't care if he succeeded or failed, and fail he did. Sad.
    _(Moo!)

Quote Originally Posted by MamaAmyG View Post
    i disagree, I think a third to half of the teens featured have made really respectable progress. A few of them have looked really stellar in their follow-up segments, losing weight at a reasonable pace and continuing it after the end of their "program" - I'm thinking of the guy that went to culinary school, the girl who went to cosmetology school, and Kristen who went to Michigan State, off the top of my head. No none of them became supermodels, but I've been pleasantly surprised with most of them.

That said, this last guy was a disappointment and a waste of an episode. I hope he finds motivation somewhere. I felt like his parents were right in that his codependent relationship was not helping him lose weight, but at the same time neither were they. They expected him to fail, his girlfriend didn't care if he succeeded or failed, and fail he did. Sad.
    I totally agree with your assessment of the show!!

I really think the biggest problem with the last guy is that he was trying to lose weight for others. When you decide to kick an addiction or lose weight you have to do it for yourself. If you're not motivated and in the right frame of mind to do it, you'll never succeed. This guy was trying to lose weight for his girlfriend. He never seemed really into it. I hope he gets the motivation and can continue onto a path of success. I just don't see it happening though till he is really ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Snacks View Post
    This show should be called "Im still fat but I used to be even fatter"

I watched 2 episodes and no one looked thin or at least presentable. They might have lost some weight and might have even looked a little better but they were still fat. This show should be filmed and then 6 months to a year later have the recap of whats going on.
    First of all congratulations to anyone on this show for losing the weight and keeping it off.

Second, congratulations and dropping even more weight off during your first 2 months at college.

Third, this show is a perfect example of the problem with obesity we have in this country and extreme obesity in the younger generation that after even 6 months of dieting and exercising some of the participants still can stand to lose more weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    First of all congratulations to anyone on this show for losing the weight and keeping it off.

Second, congratulations and dropping even more weight off during your first 2 months at college.

Third, this show is a perfect example of the problem with obesity we have in this country and extreme obesity in the younger generation that after even 6 months of dieting and exercising some of the participants still can stand to lose more weight.

I'd hardly call Kirsten "fat" at the end of the show - she said she's in a size 10. Sure she has a ways to go, but that's a lot of progress in a relatively short amount of time.

I like that this show doesn't have them all at their goal weight at the end of an hour. It takes a lot of work to lose that much weight. I like that this show is more realistic in showing just how hard it is.

Not to bag on Biggest Loser (again), but I think the HUGE weekly losses have given people unrealistic ideas about their own weight loss. On BL, if someone loses only 2 lbs at a weigh in, it's like they failed. IRL, 2 lbs per week is healthy and realistic.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

I'd hardly call Kirsten "fat" at the end of the show - she said she's in a size 10. Sure she has a ways to go, but that's a lot of progress in a relatively short amount of time.

I like that this show doesn't have them all at their goal weight at the end of an hour. It takes a lot of work to lose that much weight. I like that this show is more realistic in showing just how hard it is.

Weeeeeell, Kirsten still had about 40lbs to go so her BMI was probably still high enough to register as obese.

Not to bag on Biggest Loser (again), but I think the HUGE weekly losses have given people unrealistic ideas about their own weight loss. On BL, if someone loses only 2 lbs at a weigh in, it's like they failed. IRL, 2 lbs per week is healthy and realistic.

If you are working out 4 to 6 hours a day and on a 1200 - 1600 calorie diet when you are used to doing no exercise and eating 10,000 calories a day I do expect the contestants to lose a lot of week on a weekly basis. But this is not possible in the "real world" where you can devote 1 or 2 hours a day to exercise. But you can do the diet anywhere.

A&E's show Heavy is similar to NBC's Biggest Loser and you do see the participants lose big weights during the first month they are away from home and in a controlled environment. But then it's back home.

I think it's great that we (the viewing audience) have three shows that are running at the same time that we can examine and watch the weight loss methods and see the results:

1. Biggest Loser
    2. Heavy
    3. I Used To Be Fat

The one common denominator all three shows have is the length of time, 6 months.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 02-21-2011 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Weeeeeell, Kirsten still had about 40lbs to go so her BMI was probably still high enough to register as obese.
    I did not get to finish the show with Kirsten. So she got herself down to a size 10 BUT still has 40 pounds to lose. Wow. Clothing sizes are all over the place.
    KAREN

+ Reply to Thread