+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: I Used To Be Fat

Re: I Used To Be Fat

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio;4170526;
    Bearcata, thank you for the great summaries to catch us up. This is the first I've heard of this show and it sounds good - I'm setting it to record. :-)
    Thanks much. I am really liking this show as well as A&E's Heavy. Both shows focus much more on the individual as well as them doing all their weight loss at home. You see much more how they got the way they were and how hard it is to change while staying in that environment.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I liked Jordan, but I thought his trainer was a jerk. He was so rude when he was describing what Jordan looked like when he first started training.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4176340;
    I liked Jordan, but I thought his trainer was a jerk. He was so rude when he was describing what Jordan looked like when he first started training.
    I looked at it more as if Jordan's trainer had an eccentric personality.

Comments about February 2, 2011 episode - Daria

I don't get Kelly, Daria's mom. She thinks Daria is OK and just needs to get over it. She thinks Daria is selfish to commit to the tv show and the program and needs to get a part time job to help her mom. OK. Daria now, looks after her brother cause her mom works nights. She cooks, grocery shops, makes dinner and cleans house. Daria is supposed to go to college in 3 months yet she is supposed to get a part time job to help her mom pay the bills. Yeah, like Daria's can find a job that will work around her mom's schedule and still be able to able to handle her other responsibilities.

First of all, Daria's mom is a nurse. Daria is 5'3" and weights 185lbs. Daria should weight in anywhere between 115 - 125lbs. Daria probably has a BMI between 30 - 32. She is technically obese. Being obese causes a multitude of health issues. Daria's trainer, Tammy, has a mantra that you should train and eat right for your health. It is wonderful that Daria wants to change herself and as a side benefit be healthly at her age instead of waiting until she is 50. The way Daria's mom undermines Daria's goals and totally destroys her self confidence is bordering on abusive. Does Kelly even love her daughter. It sure doesn't look like it. After watching the success Daria had once she got with the program just shows that if she had her moms support from the beginning that she would have been able to reach her 60lb weight loss goal.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 02-04-2011 at 10:45 AM.

Daria - Atlanta, Georgia - February 2, 2011

Daria used to be a popular honor roll student involved in theater and dance until her mom, who is a nurse, had to move to Atlanta for her job. Daria had to go to a new school were she became an outcast and turned to food for comfort and the fatter she got the more the kids teased her and the more depressed she got and the more she turned to food. Other the other hand her mom thinks nothing is wrong and she should "move on and get over it". Daria is also her mom's support system. Since mom works nights, Daria takes care of her little brother, cooks, cleans and grocery shops. Daria feels isolated and turned to food and gained 35lbs in one year. She wants to leave high school and start over again. Daria hates her stomach and wants to lose 60lbs.

Daria's trainer is Tammy who believes in taking charge of your health, because your life depends on it.

Daria weights in at 185.4lbs at 5'3" yet her mom's thinks she is OK and that there are plenty of girls who want the curves Daria has. Well, technically, Daria is obese. Tammy says that for her height, Daria needs to weight in at about 125. She has 84 days to lose 60 lbs. So if she works out 4 hours a day and follows the diet she should be shedding an average of 5lbs for 12 weeks and be able to reach her goal.

Daria is glad she has a trainer as she knows she needs someone to push her.

Tammy and Daria go shopping and read some labels. Don't buy anything unless it has less then 10 grams of sugar. The diet will consist of lean proteins and veggies. After they finish grocery shopping they go back to Daria's home only to see that Daria's mom has also grocery shopped and brought all this junk food into the house. Thanks mom for your support.

Day 84 - 185.4lbs

Day 80 - 182lbs lost 3.4 lbs in 4 days

Day 75
    Kelly, Daria's mom, tells her that "all you care about is working out". That she shouldn't use exercise as an excuse not to get a part time job to help her mom pay the bills.

Day 70 - 182.6
    Tammy doesn't understand what is happening, Daria is working out 4 hours a day and should have lost another 10lbs.

Daria admits to the video camera that she is cheating on her diet. Food is her friend..it comforts her and she thinks she can have cheat days.

"Her mom is telling her everyday that Daria is selfish for being on the show"..

Tammy on the other hand says that at this time "you need to be selfish for yourself"...she (Daria) is not hurting anyone by being selfish ... it is for her health".

Day 60 - 24 days or 3 weeks no change

Day 55 - 31 days no change

Day 51 - Daria took a couple of days off from exercise, her mom was not upset that Daria is not working out.

Day 47 - moved into a new apartment, Daria did all the packing and unpacking weighs in at 181.2lbs

Tammy confronts Daria ...why is she not losing weight if she is following the program Tammy asks Daria is she giving ti her best and finally after alot of tears Daria finally admits that she has been cheating on her diet. Tammy asks her why and Daria says its because her mom says she is selfish of Daria to want to be on the show to have to exercise 4 hours a day.

Best quotes:

"Every time you cheat you are cheating yourself."

"Cheating has kept you form losing the weight you could have."

"Have to believe in yourself."

Tammy finally talks to Kelly, Daria's mom, about supporting Daria

Day 22 - Daria and her mom are working out together.

Day 10 - 167.2lbs - 18.2 lbs lighter then when she started at 185.4lbs

Day 0 - 141.8lbs - 25.4lbs since her last weight in

Note: I reran that part of my tape twice to make sure I got the sequence of dates correct.

Total lost: 43.6lbs

Has kept it off for 2 months.

Feb 9, 2011 - Kristen

Just caught a few bits of tonight's episode. Initially, I was going to be a bit mean about why didn't she reach her goal when she had 96 days and her dad helping her. Then I realized that this episode and this week's episode of A&E's Heavy were similar in that the biggest obstacle in each person's journey to lose weight was themselves. Much was negative self talk. I think many of us self sabotage, and that we are our biggest obstacles to health, happiness and success. So sometimes the journey has a lot of backslides and can be very hard to watch because we are watching ourselves. Yes, it's great to watch someone do the program and have tremendous success, we all want to be that person, hope we are that person, but most likely we are not, we are much more likely to be that negative self talker.

2 more episodes and then the finale if you want to ask the participants andy questions see the info below:

Got A Question For Any Of The ‘I Used To Be Fat’ Kids? Ask Away! MTV Remote Control Blog

Throughout the moving season of "I Used To Be Fat," we met a handful of young adults who struggled with overeating, weight loss and low self-confidence. While each person attacked their fitness regimens with varied intensity, their stories (and, often, emotional setbacks) were equally as inspirational. Got a burning question for one of them? Submit it in the comments section below (click here for more information), and they may be asked during the "I Used To Be Fat" finale, airing March 2 at 10/9c.

Episode 7 - February 9, 2011 - Flint Michigan - Kirsten

Kirsten attends Kearsley High School in Flint, Michigan. She has been heavy all her life. She has no will power in regards to food, she says it is like being a drug addict you just can't stop eating and then you sleep it off. Her mom, Tracey, blames herself as the whole family is overweight and that they started the kids on fast food and that's what they are used to. Even, Kirsten's, Dad said that not feeding his kids properly is a form of abuse and he wished he had done it differently 10 or 15 yrs ago.

Kirsten says she loves basketball and was on the team in her freshmen and sophomore year but the coach kicked her off the team after that and it really put a mental block on her mind and now she feels ugly and has no self confidence. She really wants to attend Michigan State University and doesn't want to go there as she is now.

Jimi Varner - her trainer

Day 96 - 263.8lbs

Kirsten wants to lose a 100lbs and run the Crim Festival 5k Run.
    Time 1 mile run - 14:03

Actually a pretty good time. But she notes that she has a lot of negative self talk. Jimi tells her she needs to change her negative self talk to positive self talk.

Dad is acting like Jimi's assistant at home and is doing the cooking.

Day 87 - 254.8lbs - lost 9 lbs

Day 69 - Time 1 Mile Run - 11:30 the previous week it was 11:30

Day 60 - 236.8lbs - lost 27.0lbs previous week was 239lbs

In 36 days Kirsten has lost 27 lbs and can run 1 mile in 11:05.

Day 38 - 231.0lbs - lost 32.8lbs - plateau???? only 5.8llbs lost in last 22 days

Day 10 - Time 1 Mile Run - 9:35

Kirsten wants to run the 5k in under 45 minutes

Day 5 - 226.0lbs - lost 37.9lbs

Day 0 - Runs Crim Festival of Races 5K in 42 plus minutes

Last weight in at 222.2lbs - lost 41.4lbs for an average of 13.6lbs per month for the last 3 months.

Followup: Kirsten is at Michigan State University and continues to measure her food and not eat any fried food at the student cafeteria. She works out 2 hours a day, 7 days a week.

3 months later visits home: Wow, now you can see a difference in how Kirsten looks. She is smiling and glowing. Kirsten has lost a total of 79lbs.

Start: 264.8lbs
    Day 0: 222.2lbs
    3 months later: 184.8lbs

Lost 41.4lbs at home in 96 days for an average of 13.6lbs per month

Lost 38lbs at school in 90 days for an average of 12.3lbs per month.

Bit of a sidenote: I must admit that with Kirsten's built it was hard to see that she had changed shape that much when she had lost the initial 41lbs, but at 79lbs it was very obvious that she had lost weight. Could be the lack of before and after photos.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 02-12-2011 at 10:35 PM.

FYI

During episode 3 - Dominic

I had posted that his trainer was Saran Moore. Oops, I didn't hear it correctly, the trainers name is Saran Dunmore. She has a website at: www.SaranDunmore.com. She also plays in the Lingerie Football League for the Chicago Bliss. She has 2 fitness DVDs out and does fitness tv spots. There are links on her website to several videos she has posted on YouTube. Enjoy.

+ Reply to Thread