Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: I Used To Be Fat

Re: I Used To Be Fat

Episode 6 - Maddy - stats:

Days: 110 Days

Goal: lose 120lbs

start wt: 265.2 lbs - Day 110
    goal wt: 145.0 lbs
    1st wt in: 253.6 lbs - 11.6 lbs lost in 2 weeks averaging 5.3 lbs lost per week (2 week time frame) - Day 97
    2nd wt in:203.0 lbs - 53.6 lbs lost in 8weeks - total 11.6 + 53.6 = 65.2 lbs lost in 10 weeks averaging 6.7 lbs lost per week (8 week time frame) - Day 36
    3rd wt in: 190.4 lbs - 12.6 lbs lost in 5.7weeks - total 11.6 + 53.6 + 12.6 = 74.8 lost in 15.7 weeks averaging 2.21 lbs lost per week (5.7 week time frame) - Day 0

Overall averaged 4.76 lbs per week over a 15.7 week period.

mmm.....what happened that last 5 weeks? Why did Maddy who was so successful the first 10 weeks not seem as successful in her weight loss the last 5.7 weeks she was on the program considering she was not that close to her goal weight? I wish they would explain that. If Maddy had been able to continue to lose 6 plus lbs a week she would have lost just over 38 lbs instead of 12.6 lbs and have lost a total 93.3 lbs instead of 74.8 lbs. If there were problems why were we not shown? If she was on a plateau why not tell us?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Article about Maddy with pics. Title is misleading as it claims she lost 85 lbs in 110 days. Gee, a newspaper not being accurate.

'I feel beautiful': How teenage girl beat addiction to food and lost 85lb in just 110 days | Mail Online

Maddy lost 74.8 lbs in 110 Days and after another 2 months at college she did lose another 10lbs for a total of 84.8 lbs in 170 days.

Looks like there will be a new episode of IUTBF this Turkey Day week, but again the timeage is confusing. If anyone missed it last week's ep is repeated at 9pm EST.

November 22, 2011

Episode 7 - Holly, 18 from Seymour, Tennessee.

The editing on these episodes are reminding me more and more of how Made is edited. Holly has lost of friends, follows the rules and is the first one in her family to go to college. All her family is overweight. Her mom pressures her to lose weight.

Goals: Wants to lose 50lbs, build a better relationship with her mom and learn to express her feelings.

Holly attended Seymour High School and loved and didn't want to leave. She lives with her mom, Debbie, her dad, Jeff, and her sister, Megan. Her mom cooks very hearty country portions and that means it is full of butter and oil. We see her mom make chili and cornbread and then watch Holly put sugar on her chili. Huh? Why? That is insane. Debbie, Holly's mom, does not want Holly to end up looking like her.

Chris is her trainer and he asks if Holly is ready to train 4 hours a day, 7 days a week. Chris does believe in trying to understand what motivates his clients because he believes that the mind is a powerful motivator and where the mind goes the body follows. e does ask Holly what her goals are and how she thinks she got to where she is now. Holly does blame her moms cooking and that she eats when she is bored.

Holly weights in at 192.4 and at 5'4" or 5'5" should weight in at about 142lbs per Chris. She wants to lose 50lbs and she has 64 days or just over 9 weeks to do that in. Which means losing about 5.6 lbs per week to achieve her goal. Her mom says that everyone in the family will be following the diet to help support Holly. Chris wants her eating lost of veggies and fruits and lean proteins.

Day 55 - Patricia, Holly's aunt is visiting and all the ladies are eating some kind of cake and Holly's mom says something to Holly about "her being sure that is what she is supposed to be eating". I have to admit that Holly's journey is more about her emotions than her weight loss because we see a lot of video diaries and not a lot of weight loss progress. Holly mentions in her video diary that she does not feel she is getting support from her family, especially her mom and her sister who promised to be on the diet with her. To be fair Holly does say that they are eating the same food as she is but much larger portions. In fact they do not even show the first weight in, but the second weight in at Day 43 where the editors note that 2 weeks ago Holly weighted in at 183lbs and now 2 weeks later she weights in at 179.8 or only 3.2lbs lost in 2 weeks. I don't think it is fair to let the viewer do the math but anyway that means in a 3 weeks time period Holly has lost 12.6lbs. If she had been on track she should have lost 16.8lbs by now. We are not seeing a lot of interaction between her and her trainer.

Day 37 - Holly is eating and watching TV all day long.

Day 29 - again eating a huge portion of mashed potatoes, meat and gravy.

Day 28 - 2 weeks ago weight in at 172lbs now weights in at 181.4lbs. Later on she blows up during training.

Video Diary - Holly realizes that you don't get results if you don't do the work.

Day 19 - Holly's mom goes to the gym to work out with Holly and Chris.

Day 1 - Holly thinks this has been a good influence on her family. Weights in at 171.2lbs for a total weight loss of 21.2 lbs in 64 days. She is thrilled that she can fit into an old pair of jeans.

Later we see Holly at college. Then one month later we see Holly very happy as she has a special friend, Logan. It is also her 19th birthday and she goes home to celebrate and see some of her friends who she hasn't seen in a while. Holly looks great and looks a bit thinner in her face. She has lost another 10lbs at school for a total lost of 31lbs.

I don't know it I liked the editing so much on this show or if I liked the story so much. The trainer didn't seem to intervene that much and neither did the family help that much. I know that they way the editors setup the story I nor other viewers could not cheer for what looked like a 10lb weight loss the first week and then really jeer about the lack of progress the rest of the time. It seemed that Holly was alone a lot and not getting that much help from anyone and was just wallowing. I do think that sometimes that is much more realistic as to what really happens on a weight loss journey but I wish we had seen more results/changes within her family. Maybe by the reunion we can.

Terry Morrow: Knoxville student, trainer to appear on MTV's 'I Used To Be Fat' » Knoxville.com

A Knoxville trainer will get his chance to transform a former high school student from Seymour in MTV’s reality series “I Used To Be Fat” (10 p.m. Tuesday).

Almost a year ago, Knoxville trainer Chris O’Hearn was paired for two months with a Knoxville Catholic graduate, referred to as “Holly.” MTV would not release the last name of the student.

Filming took place over two months.

“I Used To Be Fat” has high school seniors, longing for a change, to drop weight and gain confidence before entering college.

To be expected, the relationship between O’Hearn and Holly was contentious.

During an interview earlier this year, O’Hearn talked of the relationship between he and Holly and why problems sprang up.

“There was a resistance,” O’Hearn said. “With any change (and in a) new program, there’s usually going to be some resistance.

“Because of our habits, our brain wants to stick with what we are comfortable with. That was mostly the resistance I was seeing with her.”

At the time of the production, Holly was 17 years ago.

O’Hearn said of the experience: “The most difficult part for me was how I specifically do my training. I am a life coach as well, and I believe in working with the spirit and the mind before the body. The hardest part of that was to help someone see something in a different light.”

The series tries to reflect what O’Hearn believes about weight loss. It’s not about the physical part of the process. It’s also the attitude.

“It’s never about just weight loss,” he said. “If you’re looking at a scale, you’re always going to be chasing the weight, and you’re never going to be happy. (They) can’t (define their) happiness (by) what somebody else does.

“It’s about someone reaching for their best. I saw a lot of changes with Holly.”

What's up with the age stuff?

The Insider: Knox fitness trainer adds muscle to MTV series » Knoxville.com

Knoxville fitness trainer Chris O'Hearn wanted a challenge, and he got one with MTV's teen makeover show "I Used To Be Fat."

"'I looked at it as a good way to challenge myself," says the 31-year-old Knoxville Catholic High School graduate who took on the one-episode job of helping a 17-year-old Seymour girl get into shape before she entered college. "That's what I stayed focused on."

"I Used To Be Fat," which airs 10 p.m. Wednesdays, pairs a trainer with a recent high school graduate during the summer before the student enters college. The idea is to give the student a fresh start after high school.

O'Hearn was the trainer to Holly (whose last name has been withheld by MTV). O'Hearn responded to an e-mail from a casting agent who was seeking a local trainer to help her.

O'Hearn and Holly trained during the past summer. The episode has yet to air, and MTV had no air date to announce.

Filming took place over two months in Knoxville.

Most of the teens are trying to lose between 50 and 100 pounds. O'Hearn says Holly was "on the lower end of that scale," though he would not talk about specifics.

Being on a makeover show, of course, meant built-in drama.

"The most difficult part for me was how I specifically do my training," O'Hearn says. "I am a life coach as well, and I believe in working with the spirit and the mind before the body. The hardest part of that was to help someone see something in a different light."

With Holly, "there was a resistance," he says. "With any change (and in a) new program, there's usually going to be some resistance.

"Because of our habits, our brain wants to stick with what we are comfortable with. That was mostly the resistance I was seeing with her."

For O'Hearn, "it's never about just weight loss," he says. "If you're looking at a scale, you're always going to be chasing the weight, and you're never going to be happy. I can't (define) my happiness (by) what somebody else does.

"It's about someone reaching for their best. I saw a lot of changes with Holly."

The two have not been in contact much since filming ended.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 11-27-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Facebook for I Used To Be Fat: I Used To Be Fat - Wall | Facebook

Hollie Nicole Romine does respond to questions on the wall. She did say that she was depressed the entire time of the filming, which does explain a lot, that the show was filmed during the summer of 2010 and since then she has lost a bit more weight and now weights in at 157lbs.

Stats:

Days: 64 days
    Goal: 50 lbs

Height: 5' 4" or 5' 5"
    Start weight: 192.4 lbs
    Goal weight: 142.0 lbs

Exercise Program: 4 hours a day, 7 days a week
    Food Program: lean protein, lots of vegetables and fruits

Needs to lose 5.6 lbs per week to achieve goal.
    Weeks: 64 / 7 = 9.1 weeks or 9 weeks and 1 day

weight ins:

start: 192.4 - day 64
    1st: 183 - unknown, implied one week after start - 9.4 lbs lost since start
    2nd: 179.8 - day 43 - lost 3.2 since last weight in 2 weeks ago - 12.6 lbs lost since start
    3rd: 181.4 - day 28 - 2 weeks later - 11 lbs lost since start
    4th: 171.2 - day 0 - 4 weeks later - 21.2 lbs lost since start

one month later: 161 lbs - 31.2 lbs lost since start

one year later: 157 lbs - 35.4 lbs lost since start

November 29, 2011

Janelle, is 18 and just graduated from high school. She lives in Hacienda Heights, CA. Her father is Mexican and her mother, Priscilla, is Puerto Rican. Janelle has a large extended family and they have many family get togethers every week and she atends them all. Her family socializes with food and a lot of it. She wants to learns to resist temptation, set her own priorities and teach her family that being overweight is not OK. It was painful in her just walking down a street and see a guy yell out "loser" to her as she passed by. In her video diary she says she "doesn't want her weight to keep having control over my life".

Vanessa is her trainer and goes by the motto, "respect your body, respect yourself".

At their first meeting Vanessa and Janelle go through the pantry and throw out all these cereal boxes. At the first weight in Janelle is 292.2lbs at 5'5". She wants to lose 100lbs in 110 days. Vanessa tells her that she will have to lose around 8lbs a week to reach that goal.

After the first workout Vanessa goes home with Janelle to talk to her mom, Priscilla, and show them both how to make a healthy taco. Since her mom is a diabetic Janelle hopes her mom will lose weight as well.

Day 103 - 1 week weight in: 282.4. Janelle has lost 9.8lbs.

Next we see Janelle missing that day's workout cause she has to get her nails done, her feet done and her brows shaped. In fact you see a lot of Janelle attending family events and eating. Vanessa has a talk with Janelle and tells her that her family events are interfering with her workouts, that after a 4 or 6 hour workout she needs to rest and recover for the next day not party all night with her family. Janelle needs to get her priorities straight. 4 weeks later after her Day 103 weight in, Janelle weights in again and is 282.4 lbs. She has lost 0 lbs in that last 4 weeks. Vanessa comes over to see what the weight in results are. She asks Janelle how many times has she cheated at the family events and Janelle doesn't know. Vanessa says that Janelle's health is at risk and Priscilla has a meltdown and then so does Janelle. Vanessa tells Janelle she has too many distractions and she needs to decide for herself what she wants for herself.

Later Janelle seems more focused. Vanessa takes her to a hip hop class and Janelle can dance. Even Priscilla encourages Janelle by saying she needs to focus on weight loss and not family events.

Day 46 - Janelle has bought herself size 18 jeans. She used to wear 22/24.

Day 42 - 10 weeks ago Janelle weighted in at 282.4 now she weights 245.8.

Day 26 - Priscilla joins the ladies for a workout.

Janelle's aunt and grandma tell her how proud they are of her.

Day 18 - Janelle plans a family event she takes them on a hike.

Day 0 - 110 days ago Janelle weighted 292.2 lbs and now weights 236.8 lbs. She has lost 55.4 lbs in 110 days. Her biggest struggle was breaking away from her family's habits.

Later +we see Janelle walking the campus of UCR and eating healthy at the cafeteria. She says she visits the gym 6 days a week and that the workouts are getting easier.

2 months later she goes home to visit and has lost a total of 70 lbs and is still working toward her goal of losing 100 lbs. Her mom, Priscilla has also lost about 23 lbs.

I think Janelle's episode is a great example that you need your families support and that you do need to set your priorities to achieve your goals and it is not easy for anyone. But once Janelle focused and it took her a good 5 to 6 weeks to get to that point, she managed to lose over 40 lbs in the last 9 to 10 weeks.

Stats:

Days: 110 - 15.7 weeks
    Goal: Lose 100lbs

Height: 5'5"
    start weight: 292.4 lbs
    1st weight in: 282.4 lbs - Day 103 - 1 week after starting - lost 9.8 lbs
    2nd weight in: 282.4 lbs - Day 75 - 5 weeks after starting or 4 weeks since last weight in - lost 0 lbs total 9.8 + 0 = 9.8
    3rd weight in: 245.8 lbs - Day 42 - 68 days ago = 9.7 weeks since start - 282.4 - 245.8 = 36.6 lbs lost since last weight in averaging 3.6 lbs per week. 9.8 + 0 + 36.6 = 46.4 lbs total lost
    4th weight in: 236.8 lbs - Day 0 - 236.8 lbs 245.8 - 236.8 = 9 lbs ? in the last 6 weeks? that's only 1.5 lbs per week. 9.8 + 0 + 36.6 + 9 = 55.4 total lost

Overall lost an average of 3.5 lbs in 15.7 weeks.

+ Reply to Thread