+ Reply to Thread
Page 98 of 121 FirstFirst ... 48888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

Re: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery;4092464;
    well I think getting married at that age just because they are pregnant should not be done...but I was impressed with the maturity of these two and the fact that I think marriage was in the plans for them anyway..they just did it sooner because of the pregnancy...I was also very happy with the parents support and help...no matter your age that usually makes things easier
    In 2 to 3 years they will be exactly like all the girls and their bf's on '16 and pregnant' and 'teen mom' who have all stated they just were not ready for all the responsiblility of an infant. That having an infant at such an early age, they never had the chance to be a TEENAGER. Heck at 16yo you cannot even DRIVE yet. And if 16 years old is an age to get married, then PARENTS should NOT factor into this at all and it ALWAYS does BECAUSE they are too young. Period.

KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4092731;
    I'm responding to the 16 year-olds getting married. Teens brains have not fully developed at that age. They may seem mature, but their brain is not capable of the long term planning and recognition that they will develop later on. It's almost dooming the relationship from the start. It's not fair to the teens or the baby.

I have heard experts say this many times. Here's an article written by some doctors. It's pretty good. See page 4. It' actually addressing teen pregnancy.

http://www.thenationalcampaign.org/r.../pdf/BRAIN.pdf
    Oh Debb, this looks like it would be a great article to read but I could not get it to open up? Any suggestions?
    KAREN

I just saw the episode. Marrying at 16? At the end of the day, neither would get married at 16 nor would the parents approve if the girl wasn't pregnant. No matter how much these two children proclaim their love for one another, no matter how sincere, two years from now it will more than likely just blow apart. It's just never ever a good idea to get married due to a pregnancy. Especialluy when the couple are teenagers.I'm not saying these two aren't behaving well, I just think they should wait on the marriage so neither one feels trapped as time passes. If their love is genuine they will still be in love two years from now- but if something happens to alter their love, being divorced at 17 or 18 or 19 with a child or two ( they may be living under the delusion that having unprotected sex is acceptable once married) is a disastrous way to begin ones adulthood.
    We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Oscar Wilde

FORT Fanatic

The parents were half of the problem of that situation. I know you should be supportive but to let the guy move in and then marry your sixteen year old just because theyre "in love" and he knocked her up is more enabling then supporting. Out of all the episodes of 16 and preg, Brooke really did a great job once the baby came, Cody as well. They didnt do anything wrong but at the end you could see she came to the realization that her childhood is over and there is no turning back. Regardless of how good of parents they are, thats just sad.
    If you cant afford a mortgage/rent that is 400$ or so a month, you shouldnt be raising a child either. Cody is a janitor in a convenience store and really has a ceiling as to how much he can make. I think he needs to move on and get another job.

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06;4092783;
    Oh Debb, this looks like it would be a great article to read but I could not get it to open up? Any suggestions?
    I'm not sure. It came up for me twice. I got it by googling "when does the teen brain fully develop." I'll try to reprint it too.

Here it is again. I hope it works.

Another consideration for marring young is that it may create another financial obligation on the spouse who works. For example, if the husband works and supports wife for several years and she stays home with the baby, if they later split up, husband could be sued for alimony or temporary spousal support. This is in addition to child support. Granted, he may have such a low income that it would not be explored or requested, but you never know. There is also a legal requirement in some states that you support your spouse. It's called the Doctrine of Neccessaries. It means you have to provide that support and if you don't and others do, they can sue you to collect the cost.

Also, once married, you cannot disinherit your spouse, without a prenuptial agreement. You can no longer just leave everything to your child or to your parents. They law says the spouse MUST inherit unless they waive that right in a legal document. There are just many legal reasons to consider marriage, especially at 16.
    Last edited by Debb70; 10-28-2010 at 03:44 PM.

I just watched this episode. I was surprised that it was filmed about 10 minutes from where I live (next town over). I used to work at the hospital Brooke had her baby at & I know the sono tech that did her ultrasound. It was weird seeing that! I also have been out to track a few times that they were racing their cars. I was trying to figure out which QT he works at, but I wasn't 100% sure because there's a million of them around here.

I don't think marrying at 16 is a good idea, baby or not. As someone else said, if it's the real deal, they will still be in love two years later ( and beyond) and can get married then. I feel like getting married at 16 because the girl is pregnant is like following one bad choice with another. That said, I hope things work out in their favor, of course. I also hope Brooke can get her HS diploma. Maybe doing correspondence courses would be better for her, if she is that motivated & has the self-discipline to do it.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

lol, actually what he said was "cody don't read"! i was disgusted. i wasn't as enamored w this couple as other posters.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4092519;
    What bugged me about the new show and the first couple is that the new mother seems to think that she's going to be able to go back to high school and live a regular high school...she is a junior... life. She thinks a GED is beneath her. Her family is supportive, but her mom is getting fed up. And I've never heard of buying a prefab barn that can be converted into a house, but that may be common in some areas. Glad that the daddy was able to do early graduation. Another thing that bugged me was the daddy, when he was needing to study and pass tests to graduate, saying that he doesn't read. There is a lot of maturing that needs to happen for both of these young people.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4092887;
    I'm not sure. It came up for me twice. I got it by googling "when does the teen brain fully develop." I'll try to reprint it too.

Here it is again. I hope it works.

This is the message I get when I click it on ...

Oops! This link appears to be broken.
    Suggestions:
    •Go to www.*thenationalcampa*ign.*org
    •Search The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy for pdf BRAIN
    •Search on Google:

It may be MY computer as DH has every 'firewall' and 'virus' protection imagineable on here.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by buttahfly;4092977;
    lol, actually what he said was "cody don't read"! i was disgusted. i wasn't as enamored w this couple as other posters.
    ITA! I just watched the show. AND the previews ... NO ONE IS HAPPY.

Cody doesn't read. That is disturbing. How did he learn to drive? He would have to at least take a written exam, right? My guess is he is lazy. I was not all that impressed either with this couple as other posters on this thread. Brooke and Cody DO seem like nice KIDS ... yup KIDS. 16 AND married ... so many red flags that I feel this couple will not last at all. Seems like Brooke is missing her former life, the one she had before they were married and pregnant. Finances are a serious problem and that will cause issues. I love the name Brody and I am thinking it is a combo on Brooke and Cody. He is a doll. But these kids are going to struggle. Struggle to finish school, struggle to make ends meet, struggle to find their own place. Brooke's mom is paying for everything including Brooke's cellphone. Nope, this is just another sad, sad situation INVOLVING a helpless little baby.
    KAREN

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Brooke's mother got married at the same age, didn't she? Was she pregnant, too? I know that, a lot of times, the girls repeat what their mothers' have done....but that was a different time and age.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread