+ Reply to Thread
Page 97 of 121 FirstFirst ... 4787888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

FORT Fanatic

Re: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4092354;
    I didn't see the show. Are you saying that the couple got married at age 16 and you think it was a good idea?
    When the couple is in love (like these 2 are) and a baby is on the way, yes I think it's a good idea for the two of them to get married.

Amber and Gary getting married...no way, never, ever, ever should they get married.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovefootball25;4092359;
    When the couple is in love (like these 2 are) and a baby is on the way, yes I think it's a good idea for the two of them to get married.
    Amber and Gary getting married...no way, never, ever, ever should they get married.
    Oh my, I will say I have NOT seen the new show yet BUT 16yo's getting married ... no way. That is more in the lines of 'puppy love' when you are 16yo. And how do you know; THIS couple may be the next Gary and Amber ... ? At 16yo, you are not even a high school graduate yet ... oh my. How could 2 16yo's afford and let alone care properly for a new baby. Oh my.
    KAREN

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06;4092413;
    Oh my, I will say I have NOT seen the new show yet BUT 16yo's getting married ... no way. That is more in the lines of 'puppy love' when you are 16yo. And how do you know; THIS couple may be the next Gary and Amber ... ? At 16yo, you are not even a high school graduate yet ... oh my. How could 2 16yo's afford and let alone care properly for a new baby. Oh my.
    I recommend that you watch the show. It's good.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovefootball25;4092416;
    I recommend that you watch the show.
    I have it taped, just have not seen it yet. BUT I will say whether or not I watch this show has no bearing on my decision; I still will never feel that 16yo's are ready for marriage LET ALONE an infant.

So are you saying they are gainfully employed and have a home for themselves and all the neccessities necessary for their home and infant??? OR are they living off family and the state???

I think you will find I am not alone thinking the way I do OR all 16yo's would be 'walking down the aisle" ...

My 24yo DSon is in law school on the east coast ... he still hasn't mastered the washing machine yet ... lol.
    KAREN

well I think getting married at that age just because they are pregnant should not be done...but I was impressed with the maturity of these two and the fact that I think marriage was in the plans for them anyway..they just did it sooner because of the pregnancy...I was also very happy with the parents support and help...no matter your age that usually makes things easier
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

FORT Fogey

According to E! and Life and Style Magazine, Gary has left Amber and is the primary caretaker of Leah. He may also be suing for custody of Leah, although that's still up in the air, from what I could tell (I got a phone call in the middle of the report).

I went on-line, and there's an article that indicates that Gary is concerned that Amber is abusing her prescription to Klonopin, which makes her very lethargic. According to Gary, there were days when she didn't wake up until 7 p.m.

The article I saw indicated one reason Gary may have such a hard time letting go of Amber--when he leaves, she calls and threatens suicide, and since he's concerned that she's not only mentally/emotionally unstable but possibly abusing her Klonopin prescription, he may have felt that if he didn't keep returning, he could end up being responsible for her death. Not that he would have been, but I can see how he might feel that way, particularly since he's still saying he loves her. However, he seems to be accepting the fact that she isn't capable of taking care of Leah and that he has to step in on Leah's behalf.

I don't think Gary is a particularly brilliant parenting example either, but if Amber truly is that messed up, then he's far preferable to her. The one thing Gary's always had in his favor is that he does seem to love Leah and she seems less stressed when she's with him (and, of course, it's also apparent that she does love him and is upset when he leaves).

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

What bugged me about the new show and the first couple is that the new mother seems to think that she's going to be able to go back to high school and live a regular high school...she is a junior... life. She thinks a GED is beneath her. Her family is supportive, but her mom is getting fed up. And I've never heard of buying a prefab barn that can be converted into a house, but that may be common in some areas. Glad that the daddy was able to do early graduation. Another thing that bugged me was the daddy, when he was needing to study and pass tests to graduate, saying that he doesn't read. There is a lot of maturing that needs to happen for both of these young people.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fan

There's a lot of maturing still to be done, but out of all the seasons, this couple seems to be overall the best. When they disagree on an issue, they seem to be able to sit down and discuss it rationally without screaming or calling each other names. Brooke, at least, was very motivated to continue her education even if it got difficult. Cody has a job and takes equal responsibility in caring for their son. They both sacrificed something they love doing-the car racing- without batting an eyelash because they knew they wouldn't have the money for it. They understand that while Brooke's parents will help them to some extent, they don't get a free ride anymore. They're planning for a future in which they have their own home and do everything themselves. Although I certainly don't approve of getting married at 16 for any reason (I don't think there would have been anything wrong with waiting a few years) and I rolled my eyes when Cody said he hated reading, I do think these two kids have a good future ahead of them and whatever other difficulties they face, they'll always do the right thing for their son.

Quick note-did anyone else laugh at the track announcer who was going "Pray for these kids....they're REALLY gonna need it!" He clearly knows what they face even if they didn't at that point.

I'm responding to the 16 year-olds getting married. Teens brains have not fully developed at that age. They may seem mature, but their brain is not capable of the long term planning and recognition that they will develop later on. It's almost dooming the relationship from the start. It's not fair to the teens or the baby.

I have heard experts say this many times. Here's an article written by some doctors. It's pretty good. See page 4. It' actually addressing teen pregnancy.

http://www.thenationalcampaign.org/r.../pdf/BRAIN.pdf

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery;4092464;
    well I think getting married at that age just because they are pregnant should not be done...but I was impressed with the maturity of these two and the fact that I think marriage was in the plans for them anyway..they just did it sooner because of the pregnancy...I was also very happy with the parents support and help...no matter your age that usually makes things easier

+ Reply to Thread