+ Reply to Thread
Page 96 of 121 FirstFirst ... 468687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

FORT Fanatic

Re: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4089353;
    Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't they beginning a new show with pregnant girls of about age 16? It's not as if there will ever be a lack of them.
    LOL! New group of girls starts Tuesday, I believe. Someone on this board a while back said her neighbor was being filmed. Not sure if it's this new group.
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton;4089882;
    Bentley, Sophia, and Leah look to be approaching two, and Carly just turned one. How did they film this when the children are a year apart. Did they film the three, and then add in Catelynn and Tyler a year later?
    I wondered about that myself.

I watched the season finale last night - wow, that Amber is one messed up girl. I don't understand what all the stress is about with her. She doesn't work, go to school, and barely takes care of her daughter. (My kids are grown....maybe I've forgotten what an ordeal it is?) I am glad Dr. Drew brought up the fact that since Amber "whites out" her anger, how does she know she won't injure Leah. (And please, Amber, either cut Leah's bangs or at least pull her hair back! She can't even see!)

I also thought it was interesting how both Maci and Ryan downplayed the fact that his mom takes care of Bentley when he is visiting. Also, what was up with Bentley's pacifier (I hate that it's called a "paci" - ugh) being such a bone of contention with Dr. Drew. There are clearly more urgent matters with them. Like Maci moving to Nashville and giving Ryan one day's notice. Weird to me.

Not sure about Farrah's relationship with her mom. I saw a lot more anger in Farrah's body language and tone than she claimed to have. Trying to keep the peace, I suppose.

Tyler and Catelyn are an amazing couple. So mature! And I'm so glad they were there for Carly's first steps. I wonder how those two came out so mature and logical with the parents they got stuck with. I was relieved when Dr. Drew called April out on her behavior. Even though he didn't specifically address what her addiction or drug of choice is, he at least he suggested she get into recovery. I don't know if she's just not very smart, or if she's actually evil. I mean, she actually put Catelyn down right on that show. So sad.

I hope all works out well for these kids (the parents) and their kids (the babies). But I'm not enthused about further seasons. A 16-year-old's brain isn't developed enough to understand that these are real problems and situations, and that things WON'T be different for them.

FORT Fogey

Tyler and Catelyn are an amazing couple. So mature! And I'm so glad they were there for Carly's first steps. I wonder how those two came out so mature and logical with the parents they got stuck with. I was relieved when Dr. Drew called April out on her behavior. Even though he didn't specifically address what her addiction or drug of choice is, he at least he suggested she get into recovery. I don't know if she's just not very smart, or if she's actually evil. I mean, she actually put Catelyn down right on that show. So sad.

---To be fair, Tyler's mom seems like a reasonable human being who's trying to be supportive of the two of them. Makes me kind of wonder how she got hooked up with Tyler's dad in the first place, but maybe she was a different person when she was younger and has since matured. I don't know what's wrong with April, but like you, I find her sad. I think a part of her does know she's a mess, but she just doesn't seem to know how to fix it. I hope she takes the advice to find a twelve step group or some kind of counseling to help her deal with her issues. Otherwise, I worry about little Nicholas still being in her care, especially if Catelynn has moved out. Heck, I worry about the dogs being in her care too. She doesn't seem capable of taking care of anyone or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;4090201;
    I wondered about that myself.

I watched the season finale last night - wow, that Amber is one messed up girl. I don't understand what all the stress is about with her. She doesn't work, go to school, and barely takes care of her daughter. (My kids are grown....maybe I've forgotten what an ordeal it is?) I am glad Dr. Drew brought up the fact that since Amber "whites out" her anger, how does she know she won't injure Leah. (And please, Amber, either cut Leah's bangs or at least pull her hair back! She can't even see!)

I also thought it was interesting how both Maci and Ryan downplayed the fact that his mom takes care of Bentley when he is visiting. Also, what was up with Bentley's pacifier (I hate that it's called a "paci" - ugh) being such a bone of contention with Dr. Drew. There are clearly more urgent matters with them. Like Maci moving to Nashville and giving Ryan one day's notice. Weird to me.

Not sure about Farrah's relationship with her mom. I saw a lot more anger in Farrah's body language and tone than she claimed to have. Trying to keep the peace, I suppose.

I hope all works out well for these kids (the parents) and their kids (the babies). But I'm not enthused about further seasons. A 16-year-old's brain isn't developed enough to understand that these are real problems and situations, and that things WON'T be different for them.
    I do not understand Maci's relationship with Kyle-were they together before she met Ryan? Was she going out with both of them. She didn't sound forthcoming when asked if she was seeing Kyle at some point during her relationship with Ryan. But Kyle said they were seeing one another. Because Kyle said something about being upset in learning Bentley wasn't his. I hope she learns to deal with her resentment toward Ryan because she admitted sometimes she does use Bentley to get back at Ryan. I don't get her romance with Kyle-she can't look at him when she talks- I mean Dr. Drew asked her to try and look at him to discuss her feelings-but she couldn't. I don't know, I hope she isn't subconsciously using Kyle, Also when she had intitially moved to Nashiville she said she was taking the summer off to be with Bentley, in refernece to having Kyle around. So, where is she getting her money from to do this? From Kyle? I'm just curious.
    And no matter how mad she is at Ryan, a days notice before moving is not good.

As much as Farrah comes across as self-involved that girl works hard and I think that's impressive to have that sort of drive to better hersef-culinary school and 30 hours of work a week. I'd just like to know what the other teen parents are doing to support themselves and their children.

Does the show pay that well?

And along with everyone else i have to sayTyler and Caitlyn are amazing. April is sick, addiction is an illness and I wonder if she'll ever hit bottom-she's also addicted to Butch and vice versa. What she did to her daughter on the reunion show (making a halo over her head) was so cruel. She comes across as extremely jealous of Catelyn. But, what broke my heart was watching Catelyn break down as her mother made more sarcastic remarks and then did the `your such a saint' gesture.
    We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Oscar Wilde

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl;4090687;
    I do not understand Maci's relationship with Kyle-were they together before she met Ryan? Was she going out with both of them. She didn't sound forthcoming when asked if she was seeing Kyle at some point during her relationship with Ryan. But Kyle said they were seeing one another. Because Kyle said something about being upset in learning Bentley wasn't his. I hope she learns to deal with her resentment toward Ryan because she admitted sometimes she does use Bentley to get back at Ryan. I don't get her romance with Kyle-she can't look at him when she talks- I mean Dr. Drew asked her to try and look at him to discuss her feelings-but she couldn't. I don't know, I hope she isn't subconsciously using Kyle, Also when she had intitially moved to Nashiville she said she was taking the summer off to be with Bentley, in refernece to having Kyle around. So, where is she getting her money from to do this? From Kyle? I'm just curious.
    And no matter how mad she is at Ryan, a days notice before moving is not good.
    Yeah, I was a little confused by that, too. Maci was avoiding answering some of the time-line questions posed by Dr. Drew. And then he asked Maci if she loves Kyle and she said yes, but still couldn't look Kyle in the eye. Kyle didn't come across as all that excited to be there, either.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;4090769;
    Yeah, I was a little confused by that, too. Maci was avoiding answering some of the time-line questions posed by Dr. Drew. And then he asked Maci if she loves Kyle and she said yes, but still couldn't look Kyle in the eye. Kyle didn't come across as all that excited to be there, either.
    hey I noticed some of your observations about farrah and I agree with you. I also believe her feelings about Derek are genuine-what I heard when she talked about him was her shaky nervous voice -and i know where that type of cadence comes from-real grief-it can't be faked. I also do not understand why he =r mother wouldn't allow Derek to know that he had a child on the way. I get she was protecting her daughter from a guy who was not treating her daughter well during the tail end of the relationship but still.., I was happy to see Farrah and Derek's sister connect and I hope the two maintain contact. I understood his sisters trepidation in meeting up with Farrah because as far as Derricks sister goes she must have felt some resentment and suspicion. It's sad his parents can't get past their own resentments. maybe in time they will.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;4090769;
    I actually thought those were some of the most uncomfortable moments in the show (well, besides Amber, but I'm starting to have empathy for her though I do not condone her parenting skills-they are horrific). I have a feeling Maci still loves Ryan and is frustrated he doesn't feel the same way.

My thoughts about Amber are now this: She needs in patient therapy to deal with severe depression at the very least- anger management and she needs to be with a group of professionals who can unravel all o f= the different possible psychiatric conditions raveled up in side of her. Neither she nor Gary come from safe, stable homes and with in treatment there would be time for her to look at that talk about it and figure out how to break the cycle. When she screams at Gary it sounds like she is parroting words she heard over and over and over again while growing up. While she's in treatment arrangements could be made for Gary's mom or his brother and his brothers wife to look after Leigh-I mean Gary needs help, as well-for different reasons and some of those reasons are accepting that he's being abused. When Amber talks about a white out kind of rage that is scary-not only to poor Gary but to her daughter and even herself. I would hate to see Amber attempt suicide because i actually believe she is at that point. When your that depressed you sleep a lot and it's not out of laziness. her emotions are everywhere all the time. Everything is so raw and open. I believe she is horrified by what she sees on TV, she completely fell apart. Again, I'm not condoning her parenting skills by making excuses, but how can you be a good parent if you've never learned those skills and all you know is verbal, emotional and physical abuse? I mean, maybe that's why Gary and Amber stay together because the chaos of their relationship mimics the chaos and instability they boh experienced in their own households when they were growing . their own households growing up. The familiar feels safe, even if it is dangerous and chaotic.

I get the sense Amber is like a drowning man who is accepting his fate that he is about to go under for good. So he stops struggling and just waits for the waves to take him under for good.

Anyhow, your post about Farrah really made me think about her as a real person who is complex and not just who we see on TV. As I wrote, that girl works hard and that is impressive to have that sort of drive, especially with a child. I do hope she and her mother can make up-there's a lot of hurt on both sides-and it's sad they physically come to blows. I know they love one another, as expressed in letters and the love seems genuine- I wonder what it was that fractured their relationship so much-it had to be something that occurred over time, like a fissure slowly forming in a rock.
    Last edited by redsox girl; 10-26-2010 at 01:06 AM.

FORT Fanatic

The new season of 16 and Pregnant started last night. I must say that I was very impressed with the way Brooke and Cody handled the news of her pregnancy. They got married...before the baby came!!!!! I also really liked how supportive both their parents seemeded to be...but also providing tough love when necessary. My only concern is that they were too understanding...they married young, their parents married young...it's almost an excuse for the cycle to continue. However, all in all I really hope that Brooke and Cody make it. I'd love to see them on a new season of Teen Mom next year. Baby Brody is too cute.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ilovefootball25;4092218;
    all in all I really hope that Brooke and Cody make it. I'd love to see them on a new season of Teen Mom next year. Baby Brody is too cute.
    They reminded me of the general population in Arkansas when I lived there. People married young, had kids young, bought homes young and sometimes, get divorced young. However, I have a strong feeling that these two are going to make it and stay together forever. The acceptance of responsibility was phenomenal. Their surroundings look pretty country, where the cost of living and property values are super low, so it's easier for a teenager to make a decent living if they are focused and have love and support. When I lived in small town Arkansas, it was pretty common for a couple to be married and living in a nice home by age 18 because the cost of living works in their favor, and southern family values reign supreme.

I didn't see the show. Are you saying that the couple got married at age 16 and you think it was a good idea?

+ Reply to Thread