+ Reply to Thread
Page 92 of 121 FirstFirst ... 42828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

At the very least, her car can be impounded, and that isn't cheap.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

i totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton;4083999;
    My husband was on Gary's side completely with the new man changing the diaper. Even if it was a boy, it is inappropriate to be changing a baby's diaper that is not your child or familiar with you. I do not agree though with a Grandpa not changing a diaper. I mean I can not be with my child every second, and it is unrealistic to expect no men ever to change a diaper. Strangers though I am agreeing is wrong.

and i also don't get the whole men changing girl's diapers . . . what abt men changing boy's or women changing boys? or even a woman changing a girl? all molesters are not men that prey on female kids.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl;4084016;
    JMO: There are two distinctly different issues being intertwined in the whole `who should change the child's diaper' controversy.

An acquaintance, male or female, has no business changing a child's diaper end of story.

However, to take this to the extreme that no man other than the father of the child should change the child's diaper because the child will be exposed to molestation...there is nothing wrong with a grandfather doing diaper duty if he is a loving decent parent to begin with.

What if a widowed grandfather is given custody of an infant?

At the end of the day it comes down to common sense and a mothers instinct. What Amber did is wrong regardless of the persons gender.

Not all men are predators. Some women are predators . That's where common sense comes in. We can only do our best and to expect a mother, particularly a single one to be there 24/7, refusing the help of a loving grandfather makes little sense and lays a huge guilt trip on ther mother. Again common sense can sort this out.

There aren't any guarentees in life, if we do our best, our most perfect, we still cannot protect our children from possible harm. But we can't become so wrapped up in protecting them we don't allow other loving, trusted adults into their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl;4084116;
    What struck me about the `can I borrow your car' moment is right before he asked he buttered her up with 'You are the most beautiful girl in the world and someday I'm going to marry you.' Then he askes `can i use the car?' Is she crazy. This guy is a total operator and he knows he's got himself the perfect victim in Amber.It's like a shark smelling blood. She's venerable, a mess, insecure, overwhelmed and lonely. The perfect `mark.'
    I'm wondering if something would happen if he was caught driving her car without insurance (does he have a license)? I mean, she would be in trouble but I wonder if this would be a parole violation of some sort? Would that affect her, as well, if he were to get hauleed in for something like that?
    What about child services? Aren't they going to react in some waynow knowing this girl is living with a guy who just got out of jail/halfway house? Look, the guy could be reformed and on his way to sainthood, but at the end of the day he's a complete stranger with no time in the real world to prove he's changed. You can't just take in any person -and won't she do it again so that Leah has a revolving door of daddies?

If you are dealing drugs from your vehicle and get caught, LE can take it. You can file to get it back as an innocent owner, but that's not guarenteed.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff;4084041;
    Did anyone else wonder if Amber was using drugs during this last episode? There were times when she seemed to be listless and slur her words. She mentioned on the phone that her new boyfriend helped "calm her down" and it made me wonder "how" he calmed her down. She was still her whiny annoying self, but she seemed a little different to me.
    Amber has been prescribed Klonopin, which is in the same drug class as Xanax and Valium. I was concerned when they gave it to her in the first place as she seems like she might be prone to abusing that kind of drug.

Oh, and I'd also suggest keeping an eye on grandpa - in general - but I also know there are special circumstances. I don't think we should trust someone simply because of their "title".
    Last edited by J.D.; 10-14-2010 at 09:54 PM.

FORT Fogey

I agree that you shouldn't automatically trust anybody because of a title, but you also shouldn't automatically be suspicious of everybody. Title or gender aside.

You shouldn't let anybody you don't know very well change your kid's diaper. It's just common sense. But if we say "no man should ever change a girl's diaper but their dad" we are just being ridiculous. So should a parent never leave a baby with someone else, because we can't ever trust anyone? Consider what this would mean - it means that at least one parent would have to quit or work from home or a night shift. It means that baby would have to be touted everywhere, even to things where it's really inappropriate for a baby to be. It means that mom and dad NEVER get a break, which isn't healthy for them or the baby.

If you trust someone to watch your kid, you should be able to trust them to change his or her diaper. If you don't trust them that much, why are they watching them? Moms and Dads sexually abuse children too. Really the only thing we can do is use good judgment.

I don't mean to make light of sexual abuse - it's terrible and it happens MUCH too often. And I DO think that only someone very trusted and close to a baby should change him or her, and if mom or dad is around, it isn't a question that they should do it. But, they can't be around all the time.

But all this doesn't change a thing - what Amber did was very, VERY stupid and very, VERY wrong.
    Last edited by tears.and.rain; 10-14-2010 at 10:53 PM.

Has the reunion show aired yet? I read an article in OK magazine yesterday and it talked about it. Sounds like Dr. Drew is taking up for Amber! I'll have to wait and see if for myself, but if he is, I refuse to watch him anymore. Any way which way you turn it, Leah is not safe in Amber's care. And if he tries to say otherwise, he's just full of it.

He says that Amber grew up in that violent type of environment and she keeps reinacting it over and over in her present life. That may be, but she needs to get her child to safety, while she works out her painful past.

The two-hour reunion is going to air next Tuesday. I can't believe Dr. Drew is taking up for Amber! (if that turns out to be true) Now I really can't wait to see the reunion.

FORT Fogey

He says that Amber grew up in that violent type of environment and she keeps reinacting it over and over in her present life. That may be, but she needs to get her child to safety, while she works out her painful past.[/QUOTE]

ITA. If Amber was abused as a child, that's very sad, but it does not excuse her treatment of Leah. If Amber needs to work out her own issues, then Leah needs to be somewhere she can feel secure and well cared for while she does that. Otherwise, the cycle is just going to continue.

Unfortunately, I read on line that Amber and Gary have exchanged promise rings and their on again off again romance is back on (for this week, at least). What's worse, IMO, is that Gary's mother seems to be encouraging their reunion, going on about how you have to work through the hard times etc. Perhaps that is true enough in some situations, but Gary and Amber need to work on their own issues before trying to figure out if they're even capable of having a relationship, because the way they constantly break up and reunite can't help but have a negative effect not only on them but on their daughter.

FORT Fogey

I am so sick of bad childhoods excusing adult behavior. If we know so much that bad parenting affects us as adults than lets put some stipulations on who raises kids in this Country. Just saying we have to put up with the nasty adults is ridiculous. Dr. Drew is looking like a fool more and more. There is no reason that beautiful child is subjected to that garbage, and if Gary wants to keep coming back, than that little girl deserves out of there for awhile period.

+ Reply to Thread