+ Reply to Thread
Page 80 of 121 FirstFirst ... 30707172737475767778798081828384858687888990 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

FORT Newbie

Re: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

I think there is more to it than Amber not having crib sheets. It looked to me like there are many other things that were done prior to the sheet incident which made Gary mention CPS. It was just not 'not having crib sheets'. Who know if Amber even feeds Leah properly. Gary also said 'yeah out her in a crib and then you go to sleep' and she screamed back at him that is Nap time for them. I think Gary has seen other instances where he felt the need to involve CPS.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by buttahfly;4073475;

i don't remember farrah ever speaking ill of derek.
    I was curious because I remembered differently, so I went back and watched the episode again. Right near the beginning, Farrah says that she broke up with him because he was "jealous and immature," and there's also a scene with him calling her at work-AFTER they broke up- and demanding that she tell him exactly where she was going to be and who she was going to be with. Yes, her parents didn't want her to be in contact with Derek anymore, but I got the impression it was because she had probably been complaining about him and his behavior to them long enough that they realized she couldn't make the complete break on her own. Her mom referred to him as harassing Farrah and that's not a stretch with him calling her at work and leaving her tons of messages. They seemed to be trying to support what she was implying, but Farrah's obviously not so good at actually saying how she wants people to act while expecting everyone else to be able to read her mind.

Farrah refused to tell Derek that she was even pregnant, she changed her number all so he wouldn't know about Sofia. Yes, her parents encouraged her to do this, but from everything I've seen, Farrah doesn't do anything she doesn't want to do. There was never any discussion about Derek being at all involved in Sofia's life.

In my opinion, Farrah is extremely aware of the cameras. She knows that she didn't exactly come off as sympathetic last season, so she came up with this whole story about how she was so in love with Derek as a way to get people to feel sorry for her this time around. Ever notice how when she's 'crying' about him, there's no tears? She'll put her hands up over her eyes or dab at them with a tissue, but she never messes up her makeup or has red eyes afterwards. She's putting on a show to make people forget what a miserable entitled brat she is, and to manipulate Derek's sister into doing the paternity test. His sister is very right to want to make sure the money will be going only to Sophia, because I'd lay a bet that as soon as that first survivor's check came in, Farrah ran off to spend it on manicures and clothes. I'd even bet that that nice photo album either got thrown away once the dna testing was over or got shoved in the back of a closet and will only be trotted out again if Farrah needs something else from Derek's family. This story about her really loving him and wishing he was still in her life is convenient right now, when she's in real financial trouble, but as soon as she's in a comfortable place again she's going to forget him and come up with something else to keep people interested in her poor, pitiful life. At the beginning of the season it was that her mom was controlling and abusing her (and while I think her mom was in the wrong for hitting Farrah, I'm also pretty sure that Farrah embellished the story to the police and left out a lot of the details) now it's that she lost her one true love.

FORT Fogey

I don't know if I agree. I think Farrah is definitely a brat, and spoiled, and seriously in need of some better manners. However, her mother is kind of odd to say the least, and being raised by her probably had some lack of teaching her the right things. When people die we know, especially at a young age the pain is raw. This could have been the first person Farrah knew that died. She probably has guilt over her treatment of him, guilt that she did not let him know of the pregnancy, guilt for Sophia lacking a father, anger towards her parents for their treatment of him. I think the tears were real, and she looked devastated. I think the Social Security money was an added to the show tactic for drama as I think they get money from being on the show and Social Security is not that much. I do however think Farrah is in a bad place with the Derek situation, and for that part I do feel for her.

FORT Fanatic

I tape this show and fast forward the scenes with Gary and Amber. I can't stand Amber. I really feel sorry for Leah. She's growing up in an environment that's teaching her that violence is okay.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Amber has severe problems.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

FORT Fogey

Does anyone else wonder how Amber lost so much weight while still appearing to eat rather badly? I know she works out, but generally, to lose a significant amount of weight, you have work out and eat correctly (at least I do).

I know at one point last season, Amber was prescribed medication for depression, and on a recent episode, she asked Gary to get her purse for her so she could take her medication. I don't know if that was the same medication, however, or something unrelated, though I did think at the time that it was kind of odd that she was keeping her meds in her purse instead of some place where Leah definitely could not potentially reach them. At any rate, I wish we knew whether she was getting some kind of therapy too or just relying on the meds, because I think she and Gary both need therapy. They both certainly seem to have issues with anger/abuse, and it would definitely benefit Leah if her parents got their respective acts together. Gary seems to think it's important that Leah have her parents together in the same place. I think it's more important that her parents pull themselves together for her sake, even if they never live together again.

FORT Fogey

At this point I think Amber should not be in charge of a goldfish. Leah needs out of there now, and possibly for a long time if Amber does not get help. you do not toss a child in a crib randomly and let them whine and cry just because they are a bother, you do not scream and holler nonstop and cuss, and you most certainly do not hit and physically abuse the child's other parent in their presence. Amber is completely in a bad place, and Leah deserves much much better. However, Gary is also not in a position to do much either. He does not get a long with his stepfather, has no job, and has nowhere to live. I hope the authorities help that child.

FORT Fogey

The really sad thing is, there's very little the authorities can actually do in terms of Leah, because the fact is, SHE is not necessarily being abused, Gary is. Now if Gary went to the authorities and said that Amber was abusive to him, he could certainly get custody of Leah or at least the provision that in order for Amber to see Leah she has to complete some anger management courses. I don't know why Gary won't do this.

An ethical psychiatrist wouldn't prescribe drugs without also referring her for therapy as well, but he/she can't control how often Amber actually goes.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4074995;
    The really sad thing is, there's very little the authorities can actually do in terms of Leah, because the fact is, SHE is not necessarily being abused, Gary is. Now if Gary went to the authorities and said that Amber was abusive to him, he could certainly get custody of Leah or at least the provision that in order for Amber to see Leah she has to complete some anger management courses. I don't know why Gary won't do this.

--I can think of a couple of reasons he doesn't. He may feel embarrassed. Certainly some abused women do, and for a man--and a big man at that--to admit that he's being intimidated and smacked around by a much smaller woman....well, a lot of guys would be really embarrassed to admit that. He may also feel, consciously or subconsciously, that he deserves poor treatment. His weight and lack of motivation may not be just the result of laziness but of the feeling he isn't worth making any effort for at all. The other possibility is that he is somehow still holding onto the idea that he and Amber can create a real two-parent home for Leah. He said he doesn't get along with his stepfather, and there really hasn't been any mention of his father, so maybe he's trying to give Leah something he never had and always wanted. Now, the possibility of that happening with Amber, in her current condition, are basically nil, but Gary may not see that. People can be enormously, willingly blind when they wish to be. By the way, I'm not saying any of these reasons are good reasons for not charging Amber with abuse in order to get Leah away from her, but they may seem like reasons to Gary. He may also be afraid that he wouldn't qualify for custody of her either, and that he would lose contact with Leah.

An ethical psychiatrist wouldn't prescribe drugs without also referring her for therapy as well, but he/she can't control how often Amber actually goes.
    ---True. But if the show is aware of the fact that Amber is violating her doctor's orders and is behaving erratically as a result, there's something very skeevy about putting her story on air as entertainment. Since she allowed MTV to film her seeing a psychiatrist, I don't think it's really invasion of privacy for them to know whether she's actually following his/her advice. If she is doing therapy regularly, MTV really ought to indicate that somehow. They certainly are showing Farrah going to therapy.

FORT Fogey

Those are all good explanations for Gary not wanting to report Amber. Someone should show him that's much better for children to come from a broken home than to live in a broken home. Like Bentley, if things keep going the way they are, will be fine. Because Maci and Ryan know they don't belong together, but need to have a functional relationship for his sake. They're not friends or anything, but they ARE making sure Bentley gets what he needs.

I think Amber has a better chance of getting her act together if she's with someone other than Gary as well. It really will be better for both of them.

I think we're forgetting something here - we don't have a right to see anything about these people. MTV doesn't "need" to show us anything or indicate that anyone is in therapy. Just because Farrah is okay with us seeing her with her therapist doesn't mean Amber should lose her right to have that be confidential. If anything, people who KNOW they have issues to work out will be less likely to let the world into their therapy sessions because they're ashamed of their behavior and embarrassed by it. Farrah believes she's done no wrong and is totally the victim in every instance, so of course she'll let us see her talking about that. We need to remember to respect people's right to draw the line.

+ Reply to Thread