+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 122 FirstFirst ... 17575859606162636465666768697071727374757677117 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

Re: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4054346;
    Please explain the emboldened phrase. Since it has been used more than once, my curiosity is getting the better of me. I am always looking to learn.
    She's driving way too fast in this situation.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Got it! Thank you, Miss Amy Lee!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4054291;
    It breaks my heart to hear the way Caitlyn's mother talks to her. It's so cruel. Who is that little baby walking around hearing all of this abuse? And where is Caitlyn's father?
    That would be Caitlyn's sibling (or half-sibling?). He/she was in foster care for awhile, but at the beginning of Caitlyn's episode of 16 and Pregnant she said that she knew she could care for a baby, after caring for her younger sister/brother, but that she didn't want to expose another baby to that household. Sorry I can't remember if the baby's a boy or a girl!

My opinion of Maci falters a little now that she's considering moving to be with Kyle. I mean, they have KNOWN each other a long time, but they haven't been dating that long, at least as I understand it. And as much as Ryan was a lousy boyfriend, he does seem to have bonded more with Bentley, and isn't that what she wants? It's just such a bad idea, when she's juggling so much already, to move Bentley from that support system.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4054950;
    That would be Caitlyn's sibling (or half-sibling?). He/she was in foster care for awhile, but at the beginning of Caitlyn's episode of 16 and Pregnant she said that she knew she could care for a baby, after caring for her younger sister/brother, but that she didn't want to expose another baby to that household. Sorry I can't remember if the baby's a boy or a girl!

My opinion of Maci falters a little now that she's considering moving to be with Kyle. I mean, they have KNOWN each other a long time, but they haven't been dating that long, at least as I understand it. And as much as Ryan was a lousy boyfriend, he does seem to have bonded more with Bentley, and isn't that what she wants? It's just such a bad idea, when she's juggling so much already, to move Bentley from that support system.

Caitlyn's sibling (or half-sibling--I'm not clear on that either) is a boy.

I'm having problems with Maci making such a dramatic change in living arrangements as well. Is there a particular reason Kyle can't move to where she is? It would certainly be less disruptive for him to move than for her to move. Kyle seems like a nice enough guy, but this is his first major relationship, so obviously he's never fulfilled the role of boyfriend before, much less bonus dad. That may be way more responsibility than he's expecting it to be, especially if they plan to live together (that wasn't clear to me either). Plus she's pulling out of a decent support system for herself and Bentley, which means she's going to have to depend on Kyle a lot to fill in for all those missing folks. Her adviser also mentioned that her first two semesters of college didn't go so well, as she was adjusting to be a mom, and she's only just picked up her grades. If she goes through another big change, and puts Bentley through one as well, it's quite possible her grades will once again suffer. Now, grades aren't the be-all, end-all of life, but if they aren't very good, that might affect her ability to get that journalism degree and eventually the job that she wants. It just seems like she's giddy over being with a guy again and isn't necessarily thinking about anything else clearly. That might be okay if you're sixteen or seventeen--or even eighteen or nineteen if you don't have a child to consider (though even then, I have problems with changing schools just to be close to a guy, considering the volatility of relationships at that age). Really, doing the long distance thing might be a better test of their commitment to one another. If they could handle a couple of years of a commuter relationship, they'd be that much more sure of the likelihood that they have something that will last.

Maci has shown a high level of maturity in most of the decisions she has made in this show. Even if she views her relationship with Kyle through some rose-colored glasses, I think she will give a high amount of consideration to the sacrifices she's been making. Right now she is just doing her homework - finding out exactly what would be involved in the move, how would it work with school, etc. Next she would be wise to look into local daycares out there, and apartments, as well as prospective employment. Researching those things doesn't mean that she's going, it means that she is thinking beyond just wanting to be with Kyle. She had also looked into the possibility of living with friends, but ultimately came on her own to the decision that it just wasn't a good idea for her and Bentley. She may do the same after doing her due diligence here.

That said, we've also seen that she is willing to put real work into a relationship. She did pull her weight in the relationship with Ryan, and for longer than some would have. I do wonder for how long she has been single, because it seems soon to be considering moving for a relationship, let alone with their being a child involved. I would think also that a mature partner, i.e. Kyle, would recognize that also and encourage her to take her time.

I guess I tend to hope she arms herself with knowledge of what's involved in the move and then sits on it for a little while, but I don't think she's necessarily doomed if she does go through with it.
    _(Moo!)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MamaAmyG;4055310;
    Maci has shown a high level of maturity in most of the decisions she has made in this show. Even if she views her relationship with Kyle through some rose-colored glasses, I think she will give a high amount of consideration to the sacrifices she's been making. Right now she is just doing her homework - finding out exactly what would be involved in the move, how would it work with school, etc. Next she would be wise to look into local daycares out there, and apartments, as well as prospective employment. Researching those things doesn't mean that she's going, it means that she is thinking beyond just wanting to be with Kyle. She had also looked into the possibility of living with friends, but ultimately came on her own to the decision that it just wasn't a good idea for her and Bentley. She may do the same after doing her due diligence here.

That said, we've also seen that she is willing to put real work into a relationship. She did pull her weight in the relationship with Ryan, and for longer than some would have. I do wonder for how long she has been single, because it seems soon to be considering moving for a relationship, let alone with their being a child involved. I would think also that a mature partner, i.e. Kyle, would recognize that also and encourage her to take her time.

I guess I tend to hope she arms herself with knowledge of what's involved in the move and then sits on it for a little while, but I don't think she's necessarily doomed if she does go through with it.

---She did tell her girlfriends that she'd be moving, though she said she doesn't look forward to telling her parents or Ryan. I really don't think she has thought this through, particularly with regard to Ryan. I don't know what kind of custody arrangement they have, but as I've said before, he does appear to have regular visitation rights, and if she moves to Nashville, that will seriously change Ryan's access to his son, and he may not be happy about that. I do think Kyle's more mature than Ryan (which wouldn't take much), but he's never had a girlfriend before, much less a girlfriend with a son, and he may sincerely feel he's ready for all that but may not be. I'm also confused about how long they've been seeing each other. On the show, they seem to be moving awfully quickly. Even if they have known each other a long time, they haven't always been romantically interested in one another. It could be they've been involved longer than it appears, however, since editing can affect a lot of what we see.

I agree that Macy has been the most mature of the three who kept their children (I think Catelynn and Tyler made the right choice for their daughter as well, but it's just hard to compare her to the other three, because her situation is so different). However, I've also seen intelligent, mature women (and men) considerably older than Macy make decisions too quickly when they believe they're in love. I think Macy is mature for her age, but she's still very young, and how many relationships has she really had against which to judge her relationship with Kyle?

FORT Fogey

Mature for 19 is still very, very young.

Her relationship isn't doomed to disaster, sure, it could work out. But regardless of the outcome, it doesn't change the responsibility of the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4054127;
    I also don't think she's taking into consideration how Ryan is going to react to this. How is her moving going to affect his visitation/custody situation? He could certainly raise objections to a move, depending on their custody arrangement. I'm not sure what that it is, but right now, it certainly seems to involve Ryan having pretty regular contact with Bentley.
    According to the previews he's not too happy because he takes her to court for visitation

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karna68;4055550;
    According to the previews he's not too happy because he takes her to court for visitation
    That truly doesn't surprise me, if for no other reason then he may feel like she's making decisions about Bentley's whereabouts without asking him. He has some weekends and, I think, even some weekdays (or parts of them) with Bentley. If she moves him two hours away, that's really going to change how easy it is to manage that. Also, I suspect that while Ryan isn't exactly a model dad, he's not going to be at all happy at the idea of somebody else being called daddy and acting as a substitute on-site daddy to his son. Personally, I've been called Mommy enough by small children who just wanted my attention and had figured out that most adult females react to that word, whether they're mommies or not, to know it's not a big deal. Ryan, however, may not have that reaction.

Talking to Ryan is something that Maci really needed to do in considering her options. Not that he should control her decisions, but if she's concerned about Bentley, she has to be concerned about all the changes in his life. She may not care if she has no contact with Ryan, but Bentley's used to it, and it may upset him not to see daddy anymore. Besides, for good or ill, Ryan is Bentley's dad, and so long as he's not abusive or neglectful, he does have a right to see his child, even if he and Maci no longer have a relationship. For that matter, I would imagine his parents are used to having contact with their grandson, and he's used to having it with them, so that could be upsetting as well (and obviously Bentley's used to having his maternal grandparents around too).

I hope everything does work out for Maci, no matter what decision she makes, but I also hope she thinks everything through very carefully and doesn't just let her feelings for Tyler overwhelm every other consideration.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

One thing these girls never think about, and nobody can tell them so that they will listen, is that when they decided to have babies with these guys, that they are probably stuck with the guys in their lives for the next 18 years, at least, whether they like him or not. Farrah's case is a rare exception.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread