+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 120 FirstFirst ... 16565758596061626364656667686970717273747576116 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

Re: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by bahurupiya;4044397;
    I've seen several stories quoting Amber as attributing her weight loss to dietary changes - and Krav Maga.

Nevertheless, if once her stint on Teen Moms is over for good, if she should happen to appear in commercials for a diet industry product, my reaction will be one of thundering lack of amazement.
    You know I was wondering what she was doing to lose the weight as she never talks about dieting at all and they do tend to eat out allot. Although I feel as small as Amber is getting, Gary is getting bigger and bigger.

My son does KRAV MAGA ... that is sooooooooooooo intense. He has been doing it for over a year and still every class is just as intense as ever. BUT he loves it and sure does keep him in shape. GOOD FOR AMBER. She certainly can go to her KRAV studio and take all her stresses out there.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4046825;
    ...going to high schools and talking to teenage girls about how tough it is to be a teen mom...
    I've also heard that a famous US politician's daughter is doing the same or similar.

I'm of two minds about that.

On the one hand, if it results in sparing even one life from tragedy and/or misery, of course that is a wonderful thing.

At the same time, considering the widely varying sophistication levels and developing analytical abilities and habits found in an audience of teenaged girls (or pretty much any audience), I can also see how it could be seen as a little bit of a mixed message, even perceived by some as hypocrisy-adjacent:

Here's this girl up there talking about how tough it is to be a teen mom, but she's giving motivational talks, going on airplane rides to all kinds of different cities, staying in hotel rooms and getting appearance fees while somebody else is watching the baby.

As you observed in a previous post, the show gets props for at least attempting to make it clear that even for Maci, the Teen Mom with mo and betta resources, support, natural aptitude,etc, it's still a very difficult life, consisting of one wrenching sacrifice upon another, revising down of hopes and dreams, and a grueling daily grind on little sleep.

But paradoxically, any teen mom who is going to be there on the cafetorium stage giving speeches is obviously not perpetually chained to a tedious, low-wage food service job and trying to figure out how she is going to pay the rent and buy baby food, sustaining her own self with the plate-leavings of restaruant patrons.

From anecdotal conversations with the local Teen Fashionista Posse in my own hood, schools who have the members of the teen mom support group come in for a panel discussion and informal Q&A with different classes offer a more realistic picture.

While some of the girls will, like Maci, have better family situations, resources, etc, others don't, and though some may be getting some level of financial help from family members, or even child support, none is receiving MTV checks or any of the attendant perks that come with being on a reality show, nor are they getting paid speaking gigs.

Returning to your earlier comment:

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4041339;
    ...I do like that Teen Mom shows her having to make real sacrifices...it isn't easy...and I'm happy the show indicates that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4047243;
    I know this may be difficult to believe, however, there are teens from my hometown, who I believe, look at those teen moms and think they have a pretty good life.
    I don't find it difficult to believe at all.

On the contrary, while I agree with Tilden that the show doesn't gloss over the very real difficulties and tribulations faced by even the girl with the "best situation," one of the criticisms of the show that I see most often, and most voiciferously expressed (not here, just in general), and not infrequently from past or present teen moms themselves (or in the case of internet comments, those who claim to be) is that the show is "not realistic," and makes it "look too easy."

Some of it's predictable: that the "socio-economic slice" represented on the show is very narrow compared to the general (US) population, with its Xtreme Cage Match abyss of a gap between have and have-not. This complaint is typically voiced by younger and/or less sophisticated viewers who either forget or don't realize that all TV shows are about business.

Obviously, if they had gone down too far on the economic ladder, the show would not, to put it lightly, be "attractive" to advertisers, and if we think THIS is difficult to watch - well, it's a moot point because that's just not a premise that would make it past the first pitch meeting!

Go too far up the ladder and you've just got a show about teenaged girls who happened to have had babies, who are being cared for by household staff, and/or a gaggle of Jamie Spears Lites. That might be an intriguing idea for a show, but it's a whole different premise!

The bulk of the "it's not real enough" faction wants the show to be a straight documentary, and though that is what the MTV website calls it, of course it's not, it's a reality show, a very different animal, and the cast does get paid, and they do benefit in all the usual and expected ways from being on TV every week, and in that sense, the argument is not entirely without validity.

But look at it from another angle, and those things actually highlight the message that it's NOT easy.

Maci, despite her "better situation," still has many of the same problems that Farrah and Amber have.

It's pretty obvious that both Maci and Farrah are getting some steady help from somewhere in addition to their MTV money - certainly neither are getting anything near a Living Wage from their jobs, but while Maci budgets, Farrah buys expensive baby clothes, and is seen one week complaining about her thousand dollar car note, and the next week she's shopping for a new car because she wants a sun roof, and ends up getting scammed, crying in the living room which has been recently cleared of props she had set up for an Easter photo shoot.

The takeaway: Even if, like Maci, you are blessed with generous helpings of material and non-material advantages, being a Teen Mom is in no way "easy."

While it might be "easy" for me, as an adult, to make the observation that parenthood is never easy at any age, even for people who are going on airplane rides, giving speeches and doing magazine cover shoots and getting appearance fees, I can understand how, for some young people, there might be something of a disconnect.
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan.

FORT Fogey

I may be wrong, but I got the impression from the article I read that Maci wasn't doing all that much traveling but was simply speaking in high schools near where she lives and goes to school. If she's just finished her associate's degree and is about to go after a bachelor's in journalism, traveling too extensively just wouldn't fit with her schedule--or Bentley's, for that matter, and she seems pretty concerned about his life being as comfortable and routine as possible, hence her letting Kyle now that she wasn't going to have people walking in and out of his life on a whim.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

I hope that Maci's relationship lasts because I totally think she's precipitating herself.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

I'm not saying Maci is jumping the gun, but why does she have to be in a serious relationship? IMO getting your education, raising your child, and getting started in your career can all be done without centering your world around a boyfreind. She seemed like she was looking down on her girlfriends a little because they don't have a boyfriend. Some women do survive just fine without them, expecially when there are lots of things on your plate and a child to focus on. I guess some people just can't stand to be alone.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4053753;
    I'm not saying Maci is jumping the gun, but why does she have to be in a serious relationship? IMO getting your education, raising your child, and getting started in your career can all be done without centering your world around a boyfreind. She seemed like she was looking down on her girlfriends a little because they don't have a boyfriend. Some women do survive just fine without them, expecially when there are lots of things on your plate and a child to focus on. I guess some people just can't stand to be alone.
    What I don't understand is why it is necessary for Maci to move instead of Kyle. Does he have a really great job where he is or a scholarship that would not be transferrable? It just seems like it would be a lot simpler for a single guy to move and transfer than a woman with a child who has a good, solid support system in place where she is--and a child whose schedule would be disrupted if she moved.

It makes me nervous that she's considering uprooting her entire life to follow Kyle, considering that they haven't been dating that long and he's never been in a serious relationship before. He seems like a nice guy who's good with Bentley, but it also sounds like she's expecting him to take the place of all the friends and family she has supporting her right now. That's a lot to expect from a guy who's in his first major relationship. I like that she's letting him know upfront what she expects of him, and that's good, I think, but I'm not sure that she should be so quick to believe him when he says he can handle it. I wish she could just move up there (or he could move to where she and Bentley are) for the summer and see how it goes before making it a permanent deal with transferring colleges etc. But I don't suppose that would be practical for Bentley either.

I also don't think she's taking into consideration how Ryan is going to react to this. How is her moving going to affect his visitation/custody situation? He could certainly raise objections to a move, depending on their custody arrangement. I'm not sure what that it is, but right now, it certainly seems to involve Ryan having pretty regular contact with Bentley.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You raise many excellent points! Ryan is an immature lout, but he and Bentley are used to seeing each other on a regular, whenever basis. I can't help but think about all of the noise Judge Judy raises when, usually a mother, decides to move a child away from its father. And her support system is extremely important. Sure, Kyle seems like a great guy, but you never know what it will be like when the rose tint wears off the glasses and real life takes over. Not only should Kyle move to her town, but why is SHE always the one making the drive for the visits. Something about that bothers me. It could be more telling than she realizes. Anything that seems too good to be true usually is.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

It seems like when you look at Maci in both of her recent relationships, Kyle and Ryan, it appears that Maci is the one doing all the rowing. I have heard that if you want to evaluate your relationship, you compare it to a row boat. Look at who is rowing. If it is all one person, then you know what the deal is. It seems like Maci is the rower and she rows while the guy just sits and enjoys the ride. If she stopped rowing a little, what would happen?

It breaks my heart to hear the way Caitlyn's mother talks to her. It's so cruel. Who is that little baby walking around hearing all of this abuse? And where is Caitlyn's father?

I think Farrah and Maci must be making some money from posing for magazine covers with their babies. I just saw them on another one. I think it was OK Magazine.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

That's why I think that Maci is precipitating herself. And I agree about the rowing analogy. I wouldn't be moving to any town where prospective boyfriend doesn't even have a job. That's not a good catch, Maci should slow down.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;4054292;
    That's why I think that Maci is precipitating herself. And I agree about the rowing analogy. I wouldn't be moving to any town where prospective boyfriend doesn't even have a job. That's not a good catch, Maci should slow down.
    Please explain the emboldened phrase. Since it has been used more than once, my curiosity is getting the better of me. I am always looking to learn.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread