+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 122 FirstFirst ... 10505152535455565758596061626364656667686970110 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

Re: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

i'm guessing no one has mentioned this because it is NOT the obvious. i highly doubt that farrah is on welfare. i am quite sure her parents are financing her lifestyle or she has a trust fund or something of that nature. how many people on public assistance live in nice apartments w brand new modern furniture?

Quote Originally Posted by justhad2c;4024266;
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the obvious here....

She is a single mother. Her schooling is probably paid for by us (single mothers get grants to continue their post high school education). Her food is probably paid for by us (WIC). She probably gets some kind of check from us (welfare) because she is a child who was not responsible, had sex and had a child. Her apartment is probably also paid for by us. That's how our society "rewards" single mothers.

Her job at the restaurant just gives her spending money for her pedi.....

I'm pretty sure I'll get bashed for this post - bring it!

i totally agree with you t&r! and i really don't think she's getting public assistance . . . and there would be nothing wrtong with it if she was.

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4024676;
    Okay, a few things. First, has no one considered that her parents may have started a savings account for her when she was young? She may very possibly be dipping into that.

On paper, actually, I would think Farrah getting welfare/WIC or benefiting from social programs would be less offensive to people than most. She has a job, she's going to school to get a career, meaning that chances are she would be off the program in a few years. Her godawful personality doesn't change that, at least on paper. Now, I think there are lots of better candidates for this money, since Farrah COULD have her family's financial support if she weren't so... Farrah-y.

I also want to add that to say that our society "rewards" single mothers is a vast oversimplification of the issue and ignores many, many factors going into these situations.

I think it is very sad if MTV is making money off of these teen moms and then not paying for their college education. That is very cruel IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4024676;
    Okay, a few things. First, has no one considered that her parents may have started a savings account for her when she was young? She may very possibly be dipping into that.

On paper, actually, I would think Farrah getting welfare/WIC or benefiting from social programs would be less offensive to people than most. She has a job, she's going to school to get a career, meaning that chances are she would be off the program in a few years. Her godawful personality doesn't change that, at least on paper. Now, I think there are lots of better candidates for this money, since Farrah COULD have her family's financial support if she weren't so... Farrah-y.

I also want to add that to say that our society "rewards" single mothers is a vast oversimplification of the issue and ignores many, many factors going into these situations.
    Agreed! Also, I have no problem whatsoever with the WIC program. It's one of the few social programs that has a time limit as to how long you can receive it and I do believe that cuts down on the level of abuse from recipients. These programs were not meant for healthy people to benefit from forever. Anyone who uses a social program as a hand up rather than a hand out is fine by me. It's the long term abuse that makes me grit my teeth.

MTV should be giving them something for filming them. Don't know what the incentive would be otherwise to have your life aired out this way.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

FORT Fogey

I think MTV must be giving them something, but I doubt they're going to advertise it because it's already a concern, girls getting pregnant to be on TV.

FORT Fogey

Teen Moms is becoming extremely hard to watch, though I'd like to think that it would also scare some common sense into any teenagers thinking that having a baby would be great. Macie seems like the one who has the best handle on the situation, and she also has the best support system. Ryan may be a jerk, but her parents are sensible and supportive and so are her friends. Bentley's lucky to have all of them in his life. Caitlyn and Tyler are demonstrating why they made absolutely the right choice in giving Carlie up for adoption. They showed maturity in making that decision, but they are still, clearly, teenagers who don't always make the best decisions, and their family situations are a mess. They did some clear thinking when they realized they were not in the best position to raise her, because they're not. I'm glad their adoption counselor appears to be genuinely supportive of them, and that they're smart enough to realize they need her help. I don't see them necessarily lasting as a couple, but really, how many teenagers do end up permanently with the first people with whom they fell in love? If they don't either, it wouldn't be unusual. Farrah is very immature, and I worry about Sophia, especially after seeing Farrah leave her in dangerous situations--like that sink--on her own. I don't like the way Farrah and her mother appear to be fighting over Sophia either. As much as Farrah's been talking about Sophia's deceased father, I've started wondering where his family is. Why aren't they involved in Sophia's life at all? I haven't seen all the episodes, however, so perhaps this has already been covered. Amber and Gary drive me right up the wall. As much as they bicker and as much as Amber whines, it's no wonder Leah is crying in almost every scene. I also cringed when I saw them letting Leah toddle around that candy shop, pulling things off the shelves (which they then just put back for some innocent customer to buy later, after she'd pawed through them and thrown them around), going behind the counter, and eating chocolate she'd been pushing around the floor. And what were they doing while all this was going on? Eating ice cream cones. That sort of thing just drives me wild. It's so inconsiderate to the other customers and the store's clerks, and it's unsafe for Leah as well. What if she'd pulled a heavy container of something down on her head? I was also floored that they felt they needed a Florida vacation, when Gary is unemployed and Amber's only working part time. They also wasted money on silly Valentine's Day gifts for each other and then Amber got upset because Leah ruined their romantic dinner at a nice restaurant. Well, gee, maybe they could have skipped the gifts (except something for Leah, perhaps), paid a sitter with the money they saved, and had a night out without her. Neither of them appears to be able to think through even the most obvious solution to the most basic of problems, and they're terrible with money. And Amber is constantly telling Gary exactly how he has to do and say everything. The sound of her whining voice aggravates me. I can't imagine what it's like to listen to it constantly and in person. I will give her credit for showing the discipline to get her weight under control, however. She looks healthier than she did before; I only wish losing the weight had made her happier, because it is a big accomplishment for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4032989;
    Teen Moms is becoming extremely hard to watch, though I'd like to think that it would also scare some common sense into any teenagers thinking that having a baby would be great. Macie seems like the one who has the best handle on the situation, and she also has the best support system. Ryan may be a jerk, but her parents are sensible and supportive and so are her friends. Bentley's lucky to have all of them in his life. Caitlyn and Tyler are demonstrating why they made absolutely the right choice in giving Carlie up for adoption. They showed maturity in making that decision, but they are still, clearly, teenagers who don't always make the best decisions, and their family situations are a mess. They did some clear thinking when they realized they were not in the best position to raise her, because they're not. I'm glad their adoption counselor appears to be genuinely supportive of them, and that they're smart enough to realize they need her help. I don't see them necessarily lasting as a couple, but really, how many teenagers do end up permanently with the first people with whom they fell in love? If they don't either, it wouldn't be unusual. Farrah is very immature, and I worry about Sophia, especially after seeing Farrah leave her in dangerous situations--like that sink--on her own. I don't like the way Farrah and her mother appear to be fighting over Sophia either. As much as Farrah's been talking about Sophia's deceased father, I've started wondering where his family is. Why aren't they involved in Sophia's life at all? I haven't seen all the episodes, however, so perhaps this has already been covered. Amber and Gary drive me right up the wall. As much as they bicker and as much as Amber whines, it's no wonder Leah is crying in almost every scene. I also cringed when I saw them letting Leah toddle around that candy shop, pulling things off the shelves (which they then just put back for some innocent customer to buy later, after she'd pawed through them and thrown them around), going behind the counter, and eating chocolate she'd been pushing around the floor. And what were they doing while all this was going on? Eating ice cream cones. That sort of thing just drives me wild. It's so inconsiderate to the other customers and the store's clerks, and it's unsafe for Leah as well. What if she'd pulled a heavy container of something down on her head? I was also floored that they felt they needed a Florida vacation, when Gary is unemployed and Amber's only working part time. They also wasted money on silly Valentine's Day gifts for each other and then Amber got upset because Leah ruined their romantic dinner at a nice restaurant. Well, gee, maybe they could have skipped the gifts (except something for Leah, perhaps), paid a sitter with the money they saved, and had a night out without her. Neither of them appears to be able to think through even the most obvious solution to the most basic of problems, and they're terrible with money. And Amber is constantly telling Gary exactly how he has to do and say everything. The sound of her whining voice aggravates me. I can't imagine what it's like to listen to it constantly and in person. I will give her credit for showing the discipline to get her weight under control, however. She looks healthier than she did before; I only wish losing the weight had made her happier, because it is a big accomplishment for her.
    Tilden, I agree with your comments.

I was worried that Leah's feet were burning in the hot sand. Her feet are more tender and sensitive than an adult's feet. Her parents didn't seem to even consider that and forced her to walk on the sand Please. They just do not have it with regard to living in reality. I don't think it's going to change. That little girl doesn't have a chance. Poor thing. She would be so much better off with parents who really knew something about how to raise a child and how to relate to others. They are clueless when it comes to those things. I have never understood how people who are flat broke can take vacations. Even if the room is paid for, there are many out of pocket expenses such food, gas, etc. By the time Leah is 5 years old, she will probably be more mature than her parents.

I'm glad to see that Maci intends to hold off on introducing Bentley to every man she dates. That shows her maturity and desire to be a good parent.

It's becoming apparent that Caitlyn and Tyler need a break from each other. Dating othe people would be good for them.

Why Farrah and her mom don't understand that their toxic relationship is horrible for Sophia, I don't know. All of those negative vibes are bad for the child. She will grow up with knots in her tummy just hearing them fuss and talk smart to each other. That is abuse IMO. Farrah will eventually leave Sophia in a dangerous situation in which the authorities are notified IMO. She doesn't set the child as a high priorty. She really doesn't seem to have bonded with her really. Sad thing is that Sophia will be a replica of Farrah in about 10 years.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Other than being in love with drama, I have no idea why Caitlynn told Tyler about the boyfriend from 3 years ago....what exactly was the point? That was a huge mistake. That was stupid, and now she's going to pay for it. I guess it's called live and learn.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Anyone have any idea how old Maci's friend Kyle is? He looks a lot older...like he's in his 30's or something. I'm sure he's not, but he looks it.

also, regarding Sophia's daddy, in the original episodes of 16 & Pregnant, when Farrah found out she was pregnant, I remember her making comments about him that she didn't want him to know, & she made it sound like he was not a good guy, overall. Now she's making these comments about how he was "the guy" for her, & how she's sad that he's not around to be in Sophia's life. So which is it, Farrah? I think she's a storyteller.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Anyone have any idea how old Maci's friend Kyle is? He looks a lot older...like he's in his 30's or something. I'm sure he's not, but he looks it.

also, regarding Sophia's daddy, in the original episodes of 16 & Pregnant, when Farrah found out she was pregnant, I remember her making comments about him that she didn't want him to know, & she made it sound like he was not a good guy, overall. Now she's making these comments about how he was "the guy" for her, & how she's sad that he's not around to be in Sophia's life. So which is it, Farrah? I think she's a storyteller.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

+ Reply to Thread