+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 122 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566676869109 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

Re: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

I am responding to the post above acquiring about how Farrah finances her lifestyle. I'm not sure, but I wonder if the Sophia gets a social security check as a result of her father being deceased. I know other children who have lost parents and they get these type of checks. The amount varies I think. She could be using that money now instead of saving it for Sophia's college.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4023896;
    I am responding to the post above acquiring about how Farrah finances her lifestyle. I'm not sure, but I wonder if the Sophia gets a social security check as a result of her father being deceased. I know other children who have lost parents and they get these type of checks. The amount varies I think. She could be using that money now instead of saving it for Sophia's college.
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the obvious here....

She is a single mother. Her schooling is probably paid for by us (single mothers get grants to continue their post high school education). Her food is probably paid for by us (WIC). She probably gets some kind of check from us (welfare) because she is a child who was not responsible, had sex and had a child. Her apartment is probably also paid for by us. That's how our society "rewards" single mothers.

Her job at the restaurant just gives her spending money for her pedi.....

I'm pretty sure I'll get bashed for this post - bring it!
    Last edited by justhad2c; 08-04-2010 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justhad2c;4024266;

She is a single mother. Her schooling is probably paid for by us (single mothers get grants to continue their post high school education). Her food is probably paid for by us (WIC). She probably gets some kind of check from us (welfare) because she is a child who was not responsible, had sex and had a child. Her apartment is probably also paid for by us. That's how our society "rewards" single mothers.

I don't know how public assistance works now days. At one time you had to work so much to get the benefits. I don't think attending college was acceptable. That may not be required now. I do think the money is based on how many kids you have and it wasn't very much. I don't think she could live high on that income. She probably does get food stamps and WIC. That is if she will apply for it. She strikes me as someone who may think she is too good to take welfare. JMO

What I do take issue is with is how most of those teen parents drive a vehicle nicer and newer than mine! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by justhad2c;4024266;

I figured both Farrah and Amber were receiving some type of public assistance to help them out. I have no problem with teen moms or other moms for that matter who receive WIC. Its the other programs that I take issue with because people abuse them way too much.

FORT Newbie

Do you think that maybe they get some money from MTV for being on the show?

I mean if MTV can pay the Jersey Shore kids, why not these girls?

Just some random thoughts on the possibilities...

Social security - This thought honestly hadn't occurred to me, but it's a good one. I have no idea about the timing of her ex's death versus when Sophia was born. I have no idea how this kind of stuff works. Does it change things if he had passed away before the baby was born? How do you get a deceased person listed on a birth certificate as a parent?

Welfare - I guess I hadn't really thought about welfare because she had been living with her mom, who clearly has enough money judging from the home she lives in. I thought that when people applied for welfare you had to include the income from everyone in the household so if she was living at home she would not have been eligible. However, maybe after the assault she put things in motion to get some kind of assistance. However, if she is getting housing assistance I would guess there would be limited places where she could live and she seemed like she had some significant leeway to be picky when she was apartment hunting...

College - I would believe that she is eligible for either grants or loans to pay for her college.

MTV - It is plausible, but it sure seems like a bad precedent to set. "Get knocked up as a teen and we'll pay you a bunch of money to be on TV!"

FORT Fogey

Okay, a few things. First, has no one considered that her parents may have started a savings account for her when she was young? She may very possibly be dipping into that.

On paper, actually, I would think Farrah getting welfare/WIC or benefiting from social programs would be less offensive to people than most. She has a job, she's going to school to get a career, meaning that chances are she would be off the program in a few years. Her godawful personality doesn't change that, at least on paper. Now, I think there are lots of better candidates for this money, since Farrah COULD have her family's financial support if she weren't so... Farrah-y.

I also want to add that to say that our society "rewards" single mothers is a vast oversimplification of the issue and ignores many, many factors going into these situations.

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4024676;
    On paper, actually, I would think Farrah getting welfare/WIC or benefiting from social programs would be less offensive to people than most.
    I wouldn't find it offensive at all if Farrah was benefiting from welfare programs. I do think she is a horrendous person and her judgment when it come to her daughter is questionable at best. However, people who are caring for a young child while working toward a better life without welfare are exactly what these programs are intended for! On the other hand, I do not generally think the pedicures are standard behavior for people living on a welfare budget...

FORT Fogey

Oh sure. Like I said, on paper. And the you'd meet her and think.... can I just take care of that beautiful baby and she can live under a bridge somewhere?

Im sure that at the beginnnig of 16&P I remember Farrah was and has been working and saving up her money.
    Freedom, Justice & Equality For All

+ Reply to Thread