+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

Re: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3857944;
    I think you don't understand what I am saying. And I don't agree with your logic either. I think this is just one of those things where the conversation needs to continue through PM if it continues at all.
    Women's rights are important. But if you all think that the grandparent's rights are more important, perhaps take that up with your state legislators. I think it would be a terrible step backwards.

I never said that grandparents rights are more important. I said if a child is being abused and neglected grandparents have the right to go to court and ask that the child be placed in their custody as legal guardians or as adoptive parents. I know this because I volunteer in court and volunteer at a children's home, where I see first hand the effects neglectful teenagers have on their children. I was in that children's home before being adopted. BTW,what makes you think I'm not politically active? That's quite an assumption. I am espically motivated to do whatever I can in whatever way to affect change precisely because I was a child who was neglected by a teenaged mother. This is not just some abstract conversation-for me it is concrete and tangible because i lived it.
    So, I would agree with you on one thing, you and I won't ever see eye to eye on this issue because our belief systems and ideas concerning legal justice are too far apart. I just don't believe in such a rigid, hardline, militant `women's rights' viewpoint. It's not a women's rights issue for me, it's about what is best for a child and the final decison should not always rest in the hands of a sixteen year old girl who may make a selfish decison based not on reality but on some fantasy world she's created in her head where the boyfriend comes back, the baby never cries and she can go out and party with her friends whenever she wants.
    So, as you say, we should just agree to disagree.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3858068;
    That's not what I said. Please, if you are going to have such a strong reaction to what I say, try and read what I am saying. I think you are a really smart kid but I think you misunderstand certain concepts like "women's rights." And it is difficult to have a debate when we don't seem to be on the same page about the basics. I can tell when the conversation is headed toward being inappropriate so we can continue this discussion in PM or not at all.
    I usually get in trouble when I pursue these sort of conversations.
    I think you need to follow your own advice, btw. You talk down to people and you've misrepresented what I've said over and over again, misquoting me because you have incorrectly read my posts (such as claiming I said grandparents have more rights, when in fact I said they have the right to go to court), as well as other posts. To tell other people they don't understand women's rights the way you do, comes across as arrogant and condesending.You assume the rest of us haven't put our money where our mouths are ( suggesting I should take it up with the legislators in my state w/o knowing a thing about me). You can't even concede that someone like me, who has first hand experience in the area of being neglected by a teenaged mother might just have a point about how leaving the decison to the girl/women is sometimes disasterous.Your viewpoints and emotions are extreme so you should expect other people to post their own strong reactions to what you say.
    But yes, this needs to end.There's no point to this anymore.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3858068;
    That's not what I said. Please, if you are going to have such a strong reaction to what I say, try and read what I am saying. I think you are a really smart kid but I think you misunderstand certain concepts like "women's rights." And it is difficult to have a debate when we don't seem to be on the same page about the basics. I can tell when the conversation is headed toward being inappropriate so we can continue this discussion in PM or not at all.
    I usually get in trouble when I pursue these sort of conversations.
    Please don't ever talk down to me like that. You've in no way explained why it is such a "women's rights" issue. So before you tell me, and everyone else, what we don't understand, why don't you try explaining it? Maybe that's the reason you get in trouble?

I get what you're saying - it should be the mother's choice. And I agree. But I also think that the parents of a young girl having a baby should have some say as well, especially if they are going to be the ones raising it. It should be about what's right for the baby. What you said before about not being able to expect these girls to grow up right away is true, it won't happen overnight, and they need their parents to teach them and help them and they are still being raised. That applies across the board.

A baby is a huge responsibility, more than anyone can really realize until they are there. Even the most prepared of these girls have had a hard time with it.

FORT Newbie

I think the episode showed the parents guiding the teenager (who was thinking irrationally) into a loving decision for the baby. As someone said earlier, once you have a child the focus rightfully shifts off you and onto what's best for the child. And those parents never said that she couldn't keep the baby. They just said they would not help her with it. Once she woke up to the reality of the situation, she realized that she could not keep the baby alone and she made the adoption decision. She seemed happy at the end of the episode. It would be interesting to see what she says about the whole experience in a year. I know I personally resented my parents as a teenager for not letting me do certain things, but as I matured I appreciated that they were just doing what was best for me at the time. In this case it was best for the baby and for her.

FORT Regular

Did anyone watch the newest episode last night?

Yeah I watched it flipping back and forth between it and another show. So I'm sure I missed some stuff. But what I did see I didn't like. The way they were shuttling the baby, from house to house to house and relying on all the grandmas to watch over the baby while they went out to play teenager.

FORT Regular

I agree. I think they are really immature and need to grow up. Hopefully for the baby's sake they can get it together because they seem to have a good support system. However, I didn't really care for the way her mom treated the boyfriend so much like a baby. Their parents really need to let them take more responsibilty when it comes to caring for the baby.

FORT Fanatic

The guy last night was a complete loser. How are you 16 years old, not in school and you dont have a job to try and make some money? And then he free loads off his baby mamas money, which she didnt even have any.

FORT Regular

That's true. The mom had to scrape money together just to buy him a bithday cake.

FORT Fogey

He looks like he had no good childhood to draw from. I think it said a lot that when push came to shove he stopped smoking, got a job, and went back to school. Kids are not perfect, and are immature. If they have noone to drive them the right way, it is hard. The girl's mother, while very supportive, needs to push them a little more. She can still have them be with her and support them and their choices, but they are still children in need of being raised. It was obvious by the two little girls that the mother of the boy and them was not a good mother. They clung to their brother for support.

+ Reply to Thread