+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 121 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

Re: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3514597;
    I felt the same way, but apparently I was mistaken. The good part - being a grandma is the most joyful, fabulous and gratifying experience ever. I've never felt so much love in my heart.

Back to my point:

I offered both my daughters birth control at 15/16. Some say that was too early, but there are other benefits to birth control pills other than just preventing pregnancy. My older daughter took me up on the offer, the younger did not. When the younger got pregnant - it was of course my fault (according to dad and step-mom) - of course - regardless of the fact she was living with her dad at the time. Point being - I guess all we can do is attempt to educate, instill decent values, and offer help. And keep our fingers crossed.

I do regret not paying close enough attention - but even so, I'm not sure there is anything I could have done.

She now says she plans to keep her daughters locked in the house until they are 30! We'll see how that works out for her.
    it scares me for my 12 yr old daughter....but I have told her that IF the time comes later that I don't want her to be scared to tell me the truth if she wants B/C...but if she feels like she can't tell me...she knows she can go to my friend Carol and she will take her to get what she needs with no questions asked...I already want to put a permanent sign around her neck in large bold letters that says 'I AM ONLY12 YEARS OLD' because she looks much older...I have had her watching this show hoping for her to see a 'realistic' view of teenage pregnancy and what it involves
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

When I watched Farrah's (she's been raised to be a bit of a spoiled brat, I'm guessing) episode, she initially thought that this (having a baby) was not going to be "all that hard." She didn't seemed to have told "the father" (who sounds a bit dangerous and controlling, to say the least), but she still is going to have to go through what happens if/when he decides he wants to be involved, as he has every right to be. Unfortunately, she picked him. Sophia is going to be asking questions about "her daddy"........then what?

And, yeah, if I was Farrah's mother, and she had told me to "Shut up!" when I was taking her somewhere to do something FOR her, she would have been standing on the side of the road. I do think that Mom was out of line telling her that she was not getting that Ford "whatever" that she wanted. Farrah would have either found out, sooner or later, that she had made a good decision or a bad decision.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3514724;
    When I watched Farrah's (she's been raised to be a bit of a spoiled brat, I'm guessing) episode, she initially thought that this (having a baby) was not going to be "all that hard." She didn't seemed to have told "the father" (who sounds a bit dangerous and controlling, to say the least), but she still is going to have to go through what happens if/when he decides he wants to be involved, as he has every right to be. Unfortunately, she picked him. Sophia is going to be asking questions about "her daddy"........then what?

And, yeah, if I was Farrah's mother, and she had told me to "Shut up!" when I was taking her somewhere to do something FOR her, she would have been standing on the side of the road. I do think that Mom was out of line telling her that she was not getting that Ford "whatever" that she wanted. Farrah would have either found out, sooner or later, that she had made a good decision or a bad decision.
    Wow - talk about a brat! She made me so mad I wanted to slap my tv.

I think the thing is that the kids may not have as easy of access to birth control, or they may live in areas that only teach abstinence. In a way, I am glad I live here in the Seattle area, where we learned about birth control and that kind of stuff. Very few kids do truly wait until marriage-so the kids need to have the tools to protect themselves. To me, and I don't want to offend anyone, ab-only sex ed is like banning fire extinguishers so kids don't set fires. It's asinine and does not work. If kids are not mature enough to talk about protection-be it asking their parents or a trusted adult to get them on the Pill, or going to the drugstore and buying condoms-they shouldn't be having sex.

Of course, the kids could also think that they are invincible and that they can't get pregnant if he pulls out.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3515016;
    I think the thing is that the kids may not have as easy of access to birth control, or they may live in areas that only teach abstinence.

Of course, the kids could also think that they are invincible and that they can't get pregnant if he pulls out.
    I live in Salt Lake City, Utah. Arguably the most difficult place on the planet to get birth control - even as a married couple. But with open communication between children and parents, things can get done.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by karna68;3514504;
    My husband was wondering the same thing but it was Morgan J. Freeman so I don't know.

ETA-I just went to IMDB.com and Morgan J. Freeman is a director/producer, not the same person as Morgan Freeman the actor.
    Thanks!

Maybe its because I am at an age right in the middle of this mother and daughter (farrah), but I can see why she (farrah) was frustrated. Here she has a baby and has to be a grown up, but her mother is forcing decisions down her throat. So the mom doesnt like focus'? It wasnt going to be HER car anyway. On the other side, she should have not talked to her Mom like that either. She should have said you have your opinion and I have mine, but I guess that just showed how much growing she has to do! I know as soon as I became a mother (at 29), the day of even, I appreciated my mother even more and really watched how I treat her even 3 years later.

My mother never had "the talk" with me, I learned everything thru sex ed and friends. I didnt have sex until I was 20, but my sister got preggers at 18. Seeing what my sister went thru and what my mom dealt with, I will definatly be talking to my daughter around 14 or 15!!
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I talked to my son when he was 10. I didn't want him getting any misinformation from his classmates that might confuse him or be hard to erase; peers have such a strong influence. He was also at the age when it was highly possible that one of his female classmates would, accidentally, start her period and have a visible accident right there in the classroom, and I wanted him to know the truth about what was going on.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Maybe the point of the show isn't to educate the kids, but to educate parents. I'm sure there are parents that stick their head's in the sand & don't want to think about what their baby's are doing.
    I was just talking to another mom over the weekend & we were saying "can't we just slip the pill to our kid without them knowing?"
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3514356;
    I only saw the last half so I am not sure how she got pregnant....(well, I know how she got pregnant..lol), I mean the circumstances...anyway....I thought she was completely disrespectful to her mother in the car, first telling her she was dumb and then telling her to shutup. You don't speak to others like that:nono especially a parent and I don't care if she is a parent herself. Her mother is basically supporting her and the baby and she deserves some respect even if she is a little on the strange side. I also thought it was inappropriate for the grandfather to take sides, imo...he should have stayed out of it and let the two of them work it out.
    I agree w/you 100%. I said pretty much the exact same things while watching the show as you said here. I couldn't believe Farrah had the audacity to DEMAND a car, & then proceed to be so disrespectful & insulting to her mother at the same time. Um, honey, you're not making her want to help you by being a brat! And gramps pissed me off. Way to undermine your own daughter, doofus.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

+ Reply to Thread