+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 122 FirstFirst ... 32333435363738394041424344454647484950515292 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

Re: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3842491;
    Wow. This is not a thread for a feminist as myself to read. It is very troubling to see people blame women for abandonment and blame women for the conception of a child and give men a pass. It is not a mother's fault that the father of her child abandons her or mistreats her. That makes her the victim. And I think it is unfortunate that people in 2010 would blame anyone for being a victim.
    No one is putting "blame" on anyone. They're just saying that if a woman/girl gets pregnant, the brunt of the responsibility of raising a child is most likely to fall on her, so it's up to us women to take every measure we can to protect ourselves from it happening, since so many of these guys refuse to man up.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

As a feminist myself I believe women are capable and able to be responsible for their own reproductive issues. As a feminist I got on birth control so I don't have to rely on a man to bring a condom. As a feminist I buy condoms myself. As a feminist I insist on men wearing them. And as a feminist I ultimately take responsibility for the outcome of any sexual encounter I have knowing full well it could lead to the conception of a child inspite of my best efforts and that the reality is the man might not stick around to raise that child and that it will be on me. Not my parents, not my friends and not the man if he chooses to not be involved. It would be wonderful if they were involved but it's not always the case. And as a feminist I will not make a child suffer because of a mistake I make and will in turn take responsibility for whatever happened. I am making educated choices and taking educated chances.

Feminism is as much about being responsible as it is about being empowered. Women these days are empowered to make better choices and are empowered to take responsibility for those choices. These girls made the poor choice to have sex with these boys. They were adult enough to make that choice and now they need to be adult enough to deal with those consequences.

This isn't about forcing a paradigm shift. This is about dealing with reality. It would be wonderful if these boys were responsible or these girls were responsible but they're not. And that is reality. And nothing is going to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3841970;
    To be fair, it's definitely harder for girls to get birth control discreetly. You have to go to the doctor to go on the pill, and it's not cheap like condoms are. A girl always has a right to say "not without protection" but "i love you and want to be with you" can be a pretty persuasive argument at fifteen.
    i can't answer for everywhere but here in GA...a 16 yr old girl can go to the health dept...they will give her the usual female exam by a doctor and provide her with birth control at NO COST TO HER...it differs from girl to girl...from the pill to the shots or whatever she chooses....but do you think these girls take advantage of it ....NOOOOOOOO....its totally private and they will not contact the girls family
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

FORT Fogey

They have that here, but they don't make it publicly known how to contact them. Also, if you're in a rural area, and you have no form of transportation that's independent of your parents, it can be hard.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3842548;
    As a feminist myself I believe women are capable and able to be responsible for their own reproductive issues. As a feminist I got on birth control so I don't have to rely on a man to bring a condom. As a feminist I buy condoms myself. As a feminist I insist on men wearing them. And as a feminist I ultimately take responsibility for the outcome of any sexual encounter I have knowing full well it could lead to the conception of a child inspite of my best efforts and that the reality is the man might not stick around to raise that child and that it will be on me. Not my parents, not my friends and not the man if he chooses to not be involved. It would be wonderful if they were involved but it's not always the case. And as a feminist I will not make a child suffer because of a mistake I make and will in turn take responsibility for whatever happened. I am making educated choices and taking educated chances.

Feminism is as much about being responsible as it is about being empowered. Women these days are empowered to make better choices and are empowered to take responsibility for those choices. These girls made the poor choice to have sex with these boys. They were adult enough to make that choice and now they need to be adult enough to deal with those consequences.

This isn't about forcing a paradigm shift. This is about dealing with reality. It would be wonderful if these boys were responsible or these girls were responsible but they're not. And that is reality. And nothing is going to change that.
    Feminism is about wanting equality for women. Double standards are not satisfying to a feminist so I would expect that you would also try and hold the male equally accountable as the female because you are a feminist. I would expect that you would not want the young woman to be stigmatized while the man is not. Feminists should seek to change the status quo if it is unequal. Accepting inequality isn't in the spirit of feminism at all.
    I do think that there are double standards in what these young women are expected to do and what the young men are not expected to do.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I know that this is bound to irritate you, and I see what you are saying, but it sounds more like
    "wish-ism". Women who have been around much longer than you and I understand that you have to work within the parameters of the facts of life. Until men can get pregnant and have babies, the facts are that the women will be, usually, carrying the burden of the results of pregnancy. Holding your breath until you turn blue is not going to change the pregnancy-baby responsibility issue. It's not about pointing fingers at people; it's about understanding what you do and taking responsibility for the results of what you do. The victim is the baby born to someone with a "it can never happen to me" mentality. Guys are, generally, less mature than these girls that get pregnant....and they tend to stay that way for many years. Their actions in response to a super-adult situation should come as no surprise. The playing field, usually, is not even close to being equal.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I applaud this post! Very well said.

If only these girls had mothers or other female role models to guide them before it's too late...so sad.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3842757;
    I know that this is bound to irritate you, and I see what you are saying, but it sounds more like
    "wish-ism". Women who have been around much longer than you and I understand that you have to work within the parameters of the facts of life. Until men can get pregnant and have babies, the facts are that the women will be, usually, carrying the burden of the results of pregnancy. Holding your breath until you turn blue is not going to change the pregnancy-baby responsibility issue. It's not about pointing fingers at people; it's about understanding what you do and taking responsibility for the results of what you do. The victim is the baby born to someone with a "it can never happen to me" mentality. Guys are, generally, less mature than these girls that get pregnant....and they tend to stay that way for many years. Their actions in response to a super-adult situation should come as no surprise. The playing field, usually, is not even close to being equal.
    Well, I guess I am going to have to rely on the fact this sort of mentality is slowly but surely falling out of favor. We will have to respectfully disagree. But luckily for me, the young college kids aren't accepting this sort of inequality anymore.

These girls need to take responsibility for themselves. There are consequences for their actions and they need to take responsibility for the consequences...even when the consequences don't fit into their "I am a teenager" years. There are always choices...abortion, adoption, abstenance...all choices. These girls need to stop being so selfish.
    Last edited by clsriley; 03-01-2010 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3842767;
    Well, I guess I am going to have to rely on the fact this sort of mentality is slowly but surely falling out of favor. We will have to respectfully disagree. But luckily for me, the young college kids aren't accepting this sort of inequality anymore.
    When a women gets pregnant, everyone knows. When a man gets a girl pregnant, no one know unless he says something. A man can keep living his life as usual, where a woman will be constantly experienceing changes in her body over a 9 month period. A woman will always carry a bigger burden because the outward signs of pregnancy, which a man does not have...how about we have men wear a scarlet P during the pregnancy so that everyone sees they are responsible for getting someone pregnant...how about that equality.

+ Reply to Thread