+ Reply to Thread
Page 115 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1565105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1210
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

Re: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by MamaAmyG;4137330;
    Pumping is hard work even for mothers who commit to it. I have been very lucky to have my own office where I just shut the door twice a day for a while. A mother finishing high school or college or working a less accommodating job would have to be extraordinarily committed. No doubt that in ideal situations more of these moms would have continued breastfeeding, but it is still one more thing made difficult by their situation.
    I agree. Most of the reason I stopped pumping at work was because my employer was not very accomodating and I wasnt getting much milk because I was stressed.

Im torn in regards to this show, I think it is good that they show lif isnt easy with a baby, but I hate that now that Ambers salary has been released, teens may see it as a quick buck. At least they are getting more info, tho limited, on adoptions.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by MamaAmyG;4137330;
    I agree with everything you said about breastfeeding. I might also suggest another reason could be the mother's work or school schedule is not conducive to it. Take it from a full-time working mom currently pumping for her third breastfed baby - it takes work, time, AND accommodation. Meaning, to continue breastfeeding a child who is not physically by your side all day, you have to have two or three significant blocks of time where you are able to pump. Aside from that, not every mother's breasts respond well to a pump. With breastfeeding, if you don't use it, you lose it. A mother's body only makes as much milk as it perceives her child to need. So, if the mother is not successfully pumping while she is away from her child, her supply of milk will drop and the child will need an alternate source of nourishment.

Pumping is hard work even for mothers who commit to it. I have been very lucky to have my own office where I just shut the door twice a day for a while. A mother finishing high school or college or working a less accommodating job would have to be extraordinarily committed. No doubt that in ideal situations more of these moms would have continued breastfeeding, but it is still one more thing made difficult by their situation.
    I agree with a lot of what you said. I also successfully breastfed a child until she was 18 months and pumped for 15 of those months. I went back to work and my child entered daycare 3 months after I had her. I pumped 3 times a day until she weaned. I understand completely the commitment it takes. I was also lucky enough to have an office and an understanding company who supported my efforts to breastfeed.

I'm not even sure these teen moms are giving breastfeeding a chance and I would love to see them showcase more of that part of their story. I only recall them even bringing it up once, on the first reunion show and it was barely a blip on the radar.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by mayliu;4143195;
    I agree with a lot of what you said. I also successfully breastfed a child until she was 18 months and pumped for 15 of those months. I went back to work and my child entered daycare 3 months after I had her. I pumped 3 times a day until she weaned. I understand completely the commitment it takes. I was also lucky enough to have an office and an understanding company who supported my efforts to breastfeed.

I'm not even sure these teen moms are giving breastfeeding a chance and I would love to see them showcase more of that part of their story. I only recall them even bringing it up once, on the first reunion show and it was barely a blip on the radar.
    I think you need a lot of support, or a very strong fortitude, coupled with education - because esp if you have a preemie, but I had a 10# baby, I was in my mid 20's, education major, and I hated those first few weeks of trying to breastfeed - I remember crying asking dh to help me position, it took so much patience - Now my sil just had a preemie, and she's going thru the same thing, but its compounded with her surgery (c section) and the preemie baby - she's in her 30's, so it remains to be seen if she is strong enough to see it through as the hospital is having her supplement...

FORT Newbie

Couple of things that I saw on 16 and pregnant:

1. They always show these teen mom in so much pain during labor. I thought hospitals had epidural. Are they not supposed to give it to teenagers?

2. They also show how difficult it is for the teen parents during the initial few weeks after the birth of the baby. The baby is always crying and waking up in the middle of the night. I thought babies slept a lot during the first couple of months.

I am asking these questions as I am pregnant (and I am not a teen) and its kinda scary !!!

I know that a few of the moms on 16 and pregnant have gotten epidurals. And I've never had a baby myself but I think all babies are different when it comes to sleeping through the night and stuff, a lot of these babies do seem fussy but my mom said she never had any problems like that with me or my sister.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Babies don't really sleep through the night for a while when they first join our lives. I remember the nurses telling me to wake my son up through the night for feeding if he didn't wake up on his own; that was to prevent the possibility of blood sugar drops during the night. My husband was on night baby- duty, so that was OK with me! I was feeling quite lousy and in a lot of pain from a c-section and tubal ligation for the first 2 weeks. I have noticed that they give epidurals a lot sooner than they did when I had him (that was 27 years ago); I never made it to the epidural point. Babies can sleep sporadically, so schedules are super-important.

One thing you will discover is that when the baby comes, HE/SHE is running your house/life...not you. Say good-bye to life as you knew it. It's the best tired you'll ever be, though.

Wishing you a happy and healthy!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Realityfan1;4157707;
    1. They always show these teen mom in so much pain during labor. I thought hospitals had epidural. Are they not supposed to give it to teenagers?
    I was a teenager when my first child was born and I had an epidural. They actually gave me a bit too much medication with that one because I couldn't feel the contractions at all and they had to tell me when to push based on the device that was monitoring my contractions!

It could be that some of these teens choose not to have an epidural. And if the expectant mother arrives at the hospital and is very close to delivering, it can be too late for her to get an epidural.

2. They also show how difficult it is for the teen parents during the initial few weeks after the birth of the baby. The baby is always crying and waking up in the middle of the night. I thought babies slept a lot during the first couple of months.
    Babies do sleep a lot, but they tend to wake up to eat every few hours at first. Generally they recommend that new mothers sleep when the baby is sleeping so everyone gets enough rest. I think the tricky thing for the teen mothers on the show is that many of them think it will be easy for them to continue with their education because they can get their work done when the baby is sleeping. Then once the baby is there they realize that is also when they should be sleeping!! The age at which a baby finally sleeps through the night varies. It just depends on the baby (and on the parents ability to get a schedule established as prhoshay mentioned). On the other hand, I have friends who had babies with serious cases of colic and they had trouble getting them to sleep at all!! It was a very frustrating and exhausting experience for them and I have not seen any of these teen moms had to deal with anything on that level.

I am asking these questions as I am pregnant (and I am not a teen) and its kinda scary !!!
    Congratualtions!! It is kinda scary going through a pregnancy and becoming a parent, but it is also an extremely rewarding experience!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

And I want to add that it is a good idea to keep a written log of virtually everything, at first. When they slept, for how long they slept, what time they were fed, and what/how much they took in. You'll get a feel for when you can stop logging. When you visit your pediatrician (at least at first visit) or you call about a problem, you'll want to have that information handy, and it will help you set a schedule, too.....plus it's fun to look back on when you can't remember your baby being a tiny newborn!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

You'll find what works for you. Epidurals don't make pushing any easier, and that's what we see a lot of the mom's doing. It will be ok, and after the delivery is over, you kind of don't care about the pain it cost anymore.

The first 2 weeks or so, all three of my kids only woke to eat, and they woke when they were hungry, not when I was supposed to give a "scheduled" feeding. Some babies eat every 2-3 hours around the clock. Some sleep much longer. If your baby is thriving and gaining weight, *I* would never wake a sleeping baby.

Don't psych yourself out. It's so much fun
    _(Moo!)

FORT Newbie

Thank you all for your response. I really appreciate it. I am already feeling better. I am having terrible morning sickness and started worrying about the months to follow and child birth stage. But hearing you all gave me some confidence. Thanks you all so much once again !!!

+ Reply to Thread