+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

Re: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4134471;
    The only thing about this season that was heartening was the fact that all the fathers came out as well as the mothers. They seem much more involved and positive than previous seasons. None of them are perfect by any means but it's nice that they are at least around.
    I thought that was nice, too. Even some of the couples who were having problems right now still had both parents there.

Do you think any of these moms will be on a future season on Teen Mom?

FORT Fogey

I hope not. I kind of feel like the most functional moms typically do not end up on Teen Mom, with the exception of Maci, but I think the producers thought Ryan would be a bigger jerk than he was in the end.

FORT Fogey

I have a general question about all of the moms on the show. None of them seem to breastfeed - does anyone know why that is? In most cases it's healthier and it's certainly cheaper, and they all complain about the cost of formula all the time.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4134862;
    I have a general question about all of the moms on the show. None of them seem to breastfeed - does anyone know why that is? In most cases it's healthier and it's certainly cheaper, and they all complain about the cost of formula all the time.
    I remember one of them--don't remember which one--switching from breast feeding to formula because she had trouble breast feeding and was complaining it hurt. Maybe not enough of them have had enough information/instruction about breast feeding and just give up. Some of them clearly don't understand all the details of how their method of birth control works/worked, as they've mentioned forgetting to take the pill or not realizing that you have to keep on a strict schedule with the shots.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by its_glinda_now;4134192;
    Amber's salary was revealed in court and it is much more than previously reported, apparently her salary is $280,000. What do you guys think about this?

I know they are just normal girls and everything but their show brings in huge ratings for MTV, almost as much as Jersey Shore. Idk if I think they should be paid that much but I do feel like they should be compensated well for being on one of MTV's most popular shows.
    Did Gary get as much? Man, Amber could have used $100 of it to clean the pig stye.
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4134862;
    Breastfeeding can be very difficult and it requires a lot of selflessness from a mother because, especially in the beginning, the baby can be attached to your breast almost around the clock. I think these young moms just can't hack it and give up, if they even try in the first place. It's one of the things that has disappointed me SO much about this show. I'm not sure any of them stuck with it for any length of time.

I'd love for MTV to begin airing PSAs or something about the benefits of breastfeeding for both mother and child.

FORT Fogey

Me, too. I understand that it can be difficult but it's so important. And lots of studies have shown that it encourages the bond between mother and baby, which can only be good.

Quote Originally Posted by its_glinda_now;4134667;
    I thought that was nice, too. Even some of the couples who were having problems right now still had both parents there.

Do you think any of these moms will be on a future season on Teen Mom?
    Actually.....not ALL of the guys were there. Nathan was not with Megan. And having spoke with Megan, she says that she does not have any interest in doing Teen Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Missy Girl;4137010;
    Actually.....not ALL of the guys were there. Nathan was not with Megan. And having spoke with Megan, she says that she does not have any interest in doing Teen Mom.
    Sorry about that, my mistake. But thanks for the info about Megan! Did she say that she was asked, or just that she wouldn't do it if she was asked?

Quote Originally Posted by mayliu;4135505;
    Breastfeeding can be very difficult and it requires a lot of selflessness from a mother because, especially in the beginning, the baby can be attached to your breast almost around the clock. I think these young moms just can't hack it and give up, if they even try in the first place. It's one of the things that has disappointed me SO much about this show. I'm not sure any of them stuck with it for any length of time.

I'd love for MTV to begin airing PSAs or something about the benefits of breastfeeding for both mother and child.
    I agree with everything you said about breastfeeding. I might also suggest another reason could be the mother's work or school schedule is not conducive to it. Take it from a full-time working mom currently pumping for her third breastfed baby - it takes work, time, AND accommodation. Meaning, to continue breastfeeding a child who is not physically by your side all day, you have to have two or three significant blocks of time where you are able to pump. Aside from that, not every mother's breasts respond well to a pump. With breastfeeding, if you don't use it, you lose it. A mother's body only makes as much milk as it perceives her child to need. So, if the mother is not successfully pumping while she is away from her child, her supply of milk will drop and the child will need an alternate source of nourishment.

Pumping is hard work even for mothers who commit to it. I have been very lucky to have my own office where I just shut the door twice a day for a while. A mother finishing high school or college or working a less accommodating job would have to be extraordinarily committed. No doubt that in ideal situations more of these moms would have continued breastfeeding, but it is still one more thing made difficult by their situation.
    _(Moo!)

+ Reply to Thread