+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

FORT Fogey

Re: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

My life would be much worse if I didn't have a little Tim Gunn in it now and then... not so true for these Teen Moms.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by its_glinda_now;4124848;
    I read about that on ONTD. It made me feel so bad for Tim! He's way btter than those Teen Moms. lol Did they also say that he did one of the seasons of the show for free? I just love him.
    It's also unfortunate that Tim was hired specifically for a talent--fashion design--and was paid so little or perhaps nothing in the case of one season, while the vast majority of reality "stars" aren't hired because of any special skills they possess. The teen moms are hired, for instance, because of what were unplanned pregnancies, so as the result of fate or chance or however you want to look at it. I don't think any of them has ever said they were trying to get pregnant when they had sex, though far too many of them admit they were doing nothing to avoid it. If anything, someone like Amber, continues to attract attention (if not actual dollars) because of her inability to parent, not because of her ability to do so. Then there are people like the cast of Jersey Shore, who are apparently paid for being publicly stupid--and the Situation is supposedly earning millions at this point.

Yeah, pay Tim Gunn more. He's talented, well-spoken, and, I feel sure, isn't interested in making a public spectacle of himself on a regular basis. I'd rather see that rewarded.

FORT Fogey

I wish they'd make the Teen Moms show centered more around good parents. It'd be a much better lesson - you can be the best mom in the world, but if you become that mom as a teenager, it's still going to be incredibly hard.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4125025;
    I wish they'd make the Teen Moms show centered more around good parents. It'd be a much better lesson - you can be the best mom in the world, but if you become that mom as a teenager, it's still going to be incredibly hard.
    I think Macy provides a little of that, and in her own way, so does Catelynn, because the best, most loving maternal thing she could do at the time was recognize that Carly would be better off with her adoptive parents. She and Tyler have both been very mature about that and they and Carly's parents are excellent examples of how to handle an open adoption, which is an option about which too many people know too little.

I suspect they're also afraid of putting too much emphasis on teens being good parents for fear of being accused of encouraging teen pregnancies. What would be helpful, though, is showing more of the help that is available to teen parents--parenting classes, daycare in high schools etc.--and to show teen moms who make good, productive use of such opportunities and who have goals they intend to meet in order to create better lives for themselves and their children. Not that they should make such efforts look easy, because they're not, but that they should make them look possible while still emphasizing that it takes work and individual responsibility to meet those goals.

The trailer for Teen Mom 2 is up on MTV's site.

The mom's are Leah (the mother of the twins), Jenelle (who has a very volatile relationship with her mom), Kailyn, and Chelsea. Jenelle looks like she has the potential to be Amber and Farrah combined, and from the trailer it appears that Leah and her boyfriend worked things out since the finale of their season.
    _(Moo!)

Thanks for the info.

I am happy to hear that Leah and her boyfriend worked things out after the show, he seemed to really love her and the twins. I am not excited to sit through a whole season of Jenelle, though, I could barely make it through her episode of 16 and Pregnant.

FORT Fanatic

In Touch Weekley has Amber on cover, saying she is pregnant. They report she doesn't know if the father is Gary or current boyfriend, but sources say she wants it to be Gary! Omg! Please say it ain't so.
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

Quote Originally Posted by chitex3;4127305;
    In Touch Weekley has Amber on cover, saying she is pregnant. They report she doesn't know if the father is Gary or current boyfriend, but sources say she wants it to be Gary! Omg! Please say it ain't so.
    Yuck! I really hope that story is false, the last thing Amber needs is another baby.

Hey all. I just watched the episode on Megan and Nathan. Did anybody else watch...and if so.....what were your thoughts?

On Megan?
    On Nathan?
    On Megan's mom, dad and sister?
    On Nathan's mom?

I am curious as Megan is my neighbor and I know all of these people quite well.

FORT Fanatic

I watched last night's episode. Nathan makes me sick. If I were Megan (or Megan's mom) I would have sold the darn video system and bought diapers and baby clothes. The girls are forced to grow up, but the boys are allowed to still act like children.

I LOVED the sister. I was surprised she didn't kick the you know what out of Nathan. She's in the military, I'm sure she could do it.

+ Reply to Thread