+ Reply to Thread
Page 107 of 121 FirstFirst ... 757979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1210
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

Re: MTV's 16 and Pregnant

Okay. I think I'm going to have to stop watching this show. Last night that mother almost gave me a heart attack. What is WRONG with these mothers? She rides home from the hospital with the baby not in a safety seat. Then when the baby is just a couple of weeks old, she holds him in her arms as she tries to ride a HORSE! The father cautioned her, but she went ahead with it. (He said how can you support the baby's head, hold the baby and guide the horse all at once.) She didn't care. I'm still speechless.

The horse starting getting nasty and unruley and the dad finally demanded that she hand him the baby. Honestly. I don't think she understands that if the baby is injured while on that horse, even though she means no harm, she is likely to be charged with child abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4122683;
    Okay. I think I'm going to have to stop watching this show. Last night that mother almost gave me a heart attack. What is WRONG with these mothers? She rides home from the hospital with the baby not in a safety seat. Then when the baby is just a couple of weeks old, she holds him in her arms as she tries to ride a HORSE! The father cautioned her, but she went ahead with it. (He said how can you support the baby's head, hold the baby and guide the horse all at once.) She didn't care. I'm still speechless.

The horse starting getting nasty and unruley and the dad finally demanded that she hand him the baby. Honestly. I don't think she understands that if the baby is injured while on that horse, even though she means no harm, she is likely to be charged with child abuse.
    I just had to watch to check the car seat thing because that wouldn't just be stupid, it would be illegal. She does get into the car with the baby in her arms, but in just a brief shot of her in the backseat you can see the top of the infant car seat next to her as she leans over it.

She was stupid about the horse though. I think she was getting uncomfortable with the baby up there, but the dad did pull the plug on it before she asked him to.
    _(Moo!)

Quote Originally Posted by MamaAmyG;4122694;
    I just had to watch to check the car seat thing because that wouldn't just be stupid, it would be illegal. She does get into the car with the baby in her arms, but in just a brief shot of her in the backseat you can see the top of the infant car seat next to her as she leans over it.

She was stupid about the horse though. I think she was getting uncomfortable with the baby up there, but the dad did pull the plug on it before she asked him to.

Thanks for the info. It looked to me as if she was holding the baby in her arms in the back seat. Maybe she had a coat in her lap or something.

Also, why can't MTV get some teen moms who don't have such strong accents? I realize that mother is from Alabama, but my goodness. Did you notice the dialogue written in the bottom of the screen? Her accent is much stronger than her mother or any of her girlfriends. Why is that? It is so off putting that I would imagine she will have difficulty getting jobs. No matter how smart you are, overcoming that kind of an accent is a huge endeavor. God bless her. She will need help. Maybe her mom or someone will help her with it after they see it on tv.

FORT Fogey

Does it seem like they're featuring an awful lot of teens from the south this season? It makes me feel like the show has an uncomfortable subtext (ie. teen pregnancies are rampant in the south, so that' where we had to go to find footage). Sadly, I'm sure there are plenty of teens in all parts of the country who are going through unplanned pregnancies.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

People who live where that girl lives (Alabama?) probably have no trouble understanding her speech. I kept having to turn on the closed caption. I did notice that she was not asked to repeat what she had said to the people to whom she was speaking.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I have gotten to the point where this show just leaves me feeling sad and frustrated. The majority of the time I feel like these were kids with goals and naive impressions of what it is going to be like to have a kid. Once their child arrives they end up in a situation where it seems like they are barely treading water with no light at the end of the tunnel.

The top items that are frustrating me are:
    (1) There is frequently a conversation between the expectant mother and her friend in which her friend says something like "Are you worried about how hard it is going to be once the baby arrives" and then the girl answers "Well there's nothing we can do about it now". Actually there is still something they can do - have ANY of these girls even CONSIDERED adoption as a viable alternative!?

(2) Another frequent snippet I am hearing is "I can't work (or go to school), who would take care of the baby?" Have they never heard of the night shift? Also, these girls seem to lose their drive to finish their education the second their child comes into the world. It makes me wonder what kind of students they were prior to having the baby. My husband and I were barely older than these kids when we had our first child. To me there was never a question about whether I would go to college, it was just a fact that I was going to go. And he worked two or three jobs at a time so that I could accomplish that goal in order to better our family as a whole. And there were only a few occasions that we ever used daycare. He worked whatever shifts didn't conflict with my class schedule. Yes, it would have been nice to see each other more but you do what you gotta do! I guess I have a bit of the "if I could do it, why can't they" mentality here.

(3) I don't understand why we never see any of these couples looking into their options for public assistance. Is the money they get from MTV for being on the show enough that it means they are completely ineligible? Even if they are not eligible for cash assistance, it seems like the vast majority of them would be able to benefit from programs like WIC and daycare assistance. Furthermore, as low income families these kids would likely be eligible for grants that would cover most, if not all, of their college education expenses. I have never heard this mentioned either. It certainly shouldn't be covered in a way that gives kids the idea that teens with babies get a free ride through college because the work is much harder, but I do think it is an area that we don't even see these kids researching.

FORT Fogey

Well, I would assume that some of the programs you're talking about they are ineligible for because they are still living in the home of one of the parents.

Hey ClosetRTWatcher, you make some good points. I agree with you. It does seem like the mothers just lose the will to focus on education after the baby is born. I think a lot of it is hormonal and the love they have for the baby. I have a family member who has an infant at age 16.She is in school full-time and doing well, thank God. I do worry about the 16 year-old father who doesn't seem to have any idea how important education is. I think he is still in school.

I am from the south and have a southern accent, but I was shocked at the accent that girl had. People in my state have a southern accent (NC), but nothing like that. Supposedly, you get your accent from your primary care providers and friends. I heard none of them speak the way she does. She really needs to do something about it. When you sound like that, it really limits your employment potential. Her accent stands out even amongst her peers. It makes her sound VERY ignorant, even if she is very smart. I could not have her work for me. That sounds harsh, but a company would not want to have her represent them speaking that way. Plus, customers, clients, etc. would have difficulty understanding her.

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4123021;
    Well, I would assume that some of the programs you're talking about they are ineligible for because they are still living in the home of one of the parents.
    That is a good point and that would limit the options for the teens still living with a parent since a lot of programs do base the decision on the total income of the household where the person is living - I guess I don't know if there are any programs that do not work that way. However, I still have not seen the topic broached for the teens who no longer live at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4123220;
    I am from the south and have a southern accent, but I was shocked at the accent that girl had.....When you sound like that, it really limits your employment potential. Her accent stands out even amongst her peers. It makes her sound VERY ignorant, even if she is very smart. I could not have her work for me. That sounds harsh, but a company would not want to have her represent them speaking that way. Plus, customers, clients, etc. would have difficulty understanding her.
    I had a similar thought about limited employment potential when they aired the episode where the father had long dreadlocks. He was unemployed and did seem to be out looking for a job, however his long dreads and the way he spoke did not portray a professional demeanor. I am all for being true to who you are, but if you want a good job there is a point where you just need to deal with the facts about what employers are looking for.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 12-09-2010 at 10:36 AM.

FORT Newbie

(3) I don't understand why we never see any of these couples looking into their options for public assistance. Is the money they get from MTV for being on the show enough that it means they are completely ineligible? Even if they are not eligible for cash assistance, it seems like the vast majority of them would be able to benefit from programs like WIC and daycare assistance. Furthermore, as low income families these kids would likely be eligible for grants that would cover most, if not all, of their college education expenses.

Are you suggesting that my tax dollars, the very dollars that I work so hard to earn, be used for these teenage mothers while they're probably earning more than I do by appearing on this show (please note the nice cars that last season's mothers got to drive. My Honda is over 20 years old!)? Why is it everyone's first solution to a problem to turn to the government?

Just remember -- every time you say "The Government" you're actually saying "you, and you, and you...." When you want The Government to pay for daycare, you're actually saying you want ME to give up more of my limited paycheck to pay for it.

You talk about the WIC program as not being cash assistance. It's still MY money that's being used to fund it. The WIC program does more than offer classes on nutrition and how to shop. It also supplies funds -- MY FUNDS, come to think of it.

Right about now, a trip to the Bahamas would do wonders for me, but I'm not asking good ol' Uncle Sam to fund that one.

Think twice before suggesting that these young people turn to the government. After all, the government provides lots of classroom time on how to avoid pregnancy and it didn't do a whole lot of good for these teens.

+ Reply to Thread