+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Real World: Cancun

Re: The Real World: Cancun

Yeah...they like them to hook up with each other. At least at the end of Brooklyn we had a potential future couple-not a hook-up.

I do have to say though, I lived a somewhat sheltered life, and I even knew what was real and what wasn't. True Life is a lot more of the reality, which in a way helps to balance things out. You also have 16 and Pregnant, which is anything BUT glamourizing it, in my book.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3512786;
    Yeah...they like them to hook up with each other. At least at the end of Brooklyn we had a potential future couple-not a hook-up.

I do have to say though, I lived a somewhat sheltered life, and I even knew what was real and what wasn't. True Life is a lot more of the reality, which in a way helps to balance things out. You also have 16 and Pregnant, which is anything BUT glamourizing it, in my book.
    Speaking of, are Ryan and Baya still together? And did Ryan have to go back to Iraq?
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

^Baya is listed as single on her MySpace.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3512566;
    I'm with you Trista. I enjoy seeing people deal with real things like real honest to goodness job hunting (not staged jobs), dealing with finding money to eat, interpersonal relationships with people different than them etc. I live in the real world not MTV's version of it and in my real world there are real bills that have to be paid, there were real college classes I had to pass, real jobs I had to work that weren't glamorous and you could get fired from because of poor choices, and I certainly couldn't party and screw everything that walked past me without some very real consequences like STI's, pregnancy, overdosing, long term damage to my body from hard partying all the time...

My favorite seasons were those where the cast had to find jobs to subsist basically. It wasn't a free ride in party central. And I worry about the generations of people watching these hot messes now thinking that is what the real world is actually like (and there are teens and tweens that do think that I have had to work with them).
    Unfortunately, a lot of my friends think about the show as this. I'm the reality show freak of my friends, so I know better. I was having a conversation with one of my friends, asking if she watched Brooklyn. She said she watched a little but didn't like it because there wasn't as much hooking up and such.

It's kinda sad that some people today think of the Real World as a show about drinking, partying, and sex. When the show is randomly brought up in a conversation I'm in (like I said, I'm a reality show freak, so I bring it up sometimes ), I have to tell my friends that the show was originally supposed to be about people living life and dealing with troubles of the actual real world.

I think Murray and co. should combine the two worlds together: the realness and the partying. That way, they wouldn't alienate any of their fans. I thought Hollywood combined the two worlds pretty well, but I think some of the "realness" fans decided to write that season off quickly when it showed Kim and Dave hooking up in the very beginning of the season.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3513084;

Unfortunately, a lot of my friends think about the show as this. I'm the reality show freak of my friends, so I know better. I was having a conversation with one of my friends, asking if she watched Brooklyn. She said she watched a little but didn't like it because there wasn't as much hooking up and such.

It's kinda sad that some people today think of the Real World as a show about drinking, partying, and sex. When the show is randomly brought up in a conversation I'm in (like I said, I'm a reality show freak, so I bring it up sometimes ), I have to tell my friends that the show was originally supposed to be about people living life and dealing with troubles of the actual real world.

I think Murray and co. should combine the two worlds together: the realness and the partying. That way, they wouldn't alienate any of their fans. I thought Hollywood combined the two worlds pretty well, but I think some of the "realness" fans decided to write that season off quickly when it showed Kim and Dave hooking up in the very beginning of the season.
    I like the realness and hate the partying but I thought that Hollywood was a perfect balance. I didn't start watching until Austin (or San Diego, which one came first? Anyway...) so I didn't see the earlier seasons but of the ones I've seen, Hollywood is BY FAR the best season I've seen. I totally hated Kim though
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

I haven't watched consistently since Austin I think. I caught it here and there after that. When I lost the ability to identify with the people I pretty much stopped there.

That being said the kids I see end up seeing see the show and think it's cool and think that is how reality is supposed to work. Chaos without consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3513084;

Sadly I looked on a RW blog, and 70% of the respondents in the poll preferred hooking up and fighting over the real life stuff. I saw most of Miami, all of Hawaii and New Orleans, and most of B2NY, and then I caught it all the way up through Sydney before being disgusted with some of the actions of the girls there. I skipped Hollywood though, but liked Brooklyn. My favourite seasons though were Miami and Hawaii-they had a good balance of the realness and the partying to me. I personally can't watch the hooking up-I guess it was just how I was raised, but to me a couple even kissing in public is offensive, so I don't need to see them hooking up on television.

This brings me back to Irene from Seattle-she has done speaking engagements that basically prove that it's not real. Look where we've gone now.

I think the thing with Baya and Ryan was that they were not going to officially be together, but that they had been on a few dates or something before he left for the war, and they're going to wait and see what happens when he gets back.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI

Hooking up is way hotter to watch for many people, especially their target audience than dealing with other issues like they have in the past. HIV/AIDS and suicide, for example,are just not that sexy. So they sacrificed content to have what they have now which is a non-stop party fest.

I started waning around Miami when they were staging jobs/opportunities for them. And then after that was a pretty down hill slide for my interest.

It's all become so spoon-fed, I have to agree. Last season they had to go out and find their opportunities. Granted, they probably had some help, but I heard that they are considering having DC be a get-your-own-job season. That, coupled with all the politics and so forth, will be an interesting watch.

FORT Fanatic

Tonight is the premiere. Are any east coast people watching it right now?

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

CJ knew exactly what he was doing. And i don't respect him for that.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

+ Reply to Thread